Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 07-19-09, 11:07 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Nice bass, interresting day.

Yesterday was the kind of day that makes ya scratch your head. I started at 6AM when the launch opened. The conditions seemed great. Very cloudy, temps had cooled the past couple days, water temp was around 80 degrees, and a little breeze and a slight chop on the lake. My third cast landed a small bass. An hour later another. By 10 AM, I'd only caught 4 bass and was thinking about packing it in. I'd seen surface action galore right off a favorite point I fish. Bass were chasing small fish at the surface, probably small gills since there are no shad in this small natural lake. However, whenever I would sling a rattle trap into the feeding school, everything would stop and I wouldn't get a single hit. I did get one hit on a Strike King Rage Frog worked over the top of the feeding school of bass but that was it. Even my bluegill pattern Bandit 100 wouldnt draw a strike. So there I sat wondering what gives? They should be on the prowl in conditions like this. I should be catching much more than I had. Around 11 AM, the wind really picked up and the skys cleared leaving me mostly bright sunny conditions with just a few passing clouds. I'm thinking thats it. The days just gonna be even tougher now. But, to my surprise, the bass bite really kicked into high gear. Still can't understand why they would wait untill the conditions became what most fisherman would deem less than ideal for bass fishing. Over the next hour, I caught 11 more bass including a nice 6 pounder taken off a Strike King KVD spinnerbait in bluegill pattern. The trick was, I had to be fishing in the deepest shade I could find along the southern shoreline. Actually very close to the bank. And with all the brush and grass back in that shade the spinnerbait was made to order. They were killin it. If you cast anywhere outside of the shade you wouldnt draw a strike even if there was nice weed covere there. I figure the bright sun had pushed the bass into the deep shade as I had fished these same shoreline features earlier in the morning without getting a single strike. The morning bite was all in 10 foot of water over the tops of weedbeds. I tried fishing these deeper weedbeds with a t rigged peca craw and 3/8 oz. tungstin weight once the sun came out figuring the bass would sink down low into the vegitation. But I caught only one fish this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big bass 7-18-09.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	3897  
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 11:17 AM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice fish Kdog. It's funny that mentioned shade, we've been catching most of our fish in the shade. The further back in the shade the better the quality of fish.
Old 07-19-09, 11:23 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nice fish. does seem wierd, the bass turning on when the sun came out. But I've kind of realized it's not necessarily the sun, clouds, rain, etc, but more the changing from one to the other that effects the bite.

I had that happen the other day, the fish were biting alright, and then the sun went behind a cloud and it stopped. When the sun came back out, they started biting again. It was like at Guntersville last year, but the other way around. we only caught fish when the sun was behind a cloud.

BB
Old 07-19-09, 11:32 AM   #4
Jim80

nice fish keith sounds like a great day

jim
Old 07-19-09, 11:38 AM   #5
Bassboss

Great bass keith! Just goes to show that bass don't read the books!
Old 07-19-09, 02:46 PM   #6
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

that one is worth telling a story about
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 03:28 PM   #7
woody

Nice Bass Keith! And thanks for the interesting report with pic.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 03:43 PM   #8
Cavs1123

nice bass keith! I agree with bb144.
Old 07-19-09, 04:54 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Great bass Keith! Takes me 2...sometimes 3....oftentimes 4 to nail 6#!
Old 07-19-09, 11:08 PM   #10
bamabassman

great story keith. you are right about sounding weird. but hey, you were on top of em pal. nice pic. what happened to the beard man? com'on now, it ain't that hot is it? lol.
thanks for the story pal. learn something everytime you tell us your stories.
Old 07-20-09, 06:13 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
great story keith. you are right about sounding weird. but hey, you were on top of em pal. nice pic. what happened to the beard man? com'on now, it ain't that hot is it? lol.
thanks for the story pal. learn something everytime you tell us your stories.
That beard is long gone my friend, lol. But it usually reappears around the end of October.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.