Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-09, 03:12 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finally got to break in my custom rod.

So I finally found a ''lunck break'' fishing spot 5 minutes from work...Its an absolute beautiful area...Its a large creek that runs into a very ritzy neighborhood....Meaning theres absolutely no pressure on the creek, in this area at least.And yea,I get strange looks from the rich ,stay at home wives walking thier little worthless dogs as Im lugging heavy tackle and rods across the grass...But the area is legal to fish,and the big bass have let me known that they're in here.Ive only only had the chance to fish it 4 times in the last two weeks due to heavy showers here....Ive been trying like crazy to break in my custom rod and Revo S....But Ive been catching fish on my All Star when Im fishing cranks/buzz.....Which dont me get wrong,Ill still take em!
Anyway,I found a nice patch of structure today in the middle of one area...Thick ,falling limbs collected in a pile just barely under the surface.
After a few slings with my mann's baby-1 ,I went for my custom rod/Revo S and a T-rigged blk/blue finesse worm.....I casted across the creek into the elephant ears plants and worked him back towards the structure....I hit this guy on the third cast...
The rod performed and held up great!!...The rod responded really well to the hook set and the control was all mine after that...I was fishing off a three foot drop off,and lifting the fish out, up ,and over elephant ears plants was no problem.
The Revo S performed great as well,The fish didnt have a chance,only problem was my drag wasnt tight enough...All in All,very exciting little hour today!...Catching my first bass on my first home built rod was a truely rewarding experience...The monster bass weighed 1.8lb,hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cust.rod.bass.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	4371  

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 10-14-09 at 03:20 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 03:19 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A very respectable fish, Waffle. Even more so because you did it with a rod you built yourself. We should all be so lucky.
Old 10-14-09, 03:41 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Thanks Nofear,Im still smiling about it.
The drive back to work was like slow motion....and Stone Temple Pilots' ''Wicked Garden'' never rocked harder!!...haha.
It was also the first fish out of new water!
Old 10-14-09, 03:58 PM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

congrats on the first fish on the new stick
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 04:49 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There's nothing like catching that first fish on a rod (or bait) you built yourself.

Congrats and glad you like the new rod.

Bb
Old 10-14-09, 06:42 PM   #6
keithdog

Thats great Waffle, congrats on the new rods performance! You going to make a second now?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 07:21 PM   #7
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Congrats nice fish.
Old 10-14-09, 08:34 PM   #8
Bassboss

Woot!! I bet it must really awesome to finally catch a fish on your rod, but be really satisfying too!

Solid fish too!
Old 10-14-09, 10:25 PM   #9
bamabassman

fantastic fish pal. great job on the rod too.
Old 10-15-09, 09:56 AM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Thats great Waffle, congrats on the new rods performance! You going to make a second now?
Absolutely,Im hooked on rod building,my Dad wants to build a few more as well, so were putting together an order from Mudhole.com.....Im going to build a 6'6 M, fast rod...Im going to do another split-grip with EVA foam grip this round,This build will be alot more intricate...Im going to ''attempt'' some things that will really test my patience,lol

I need to give TnTom a shout out for all his help in answering a tooooon of my questions..lol...He sent me some great articles on rod building and rod repair. Because of that,Today,Im working on repairing my first broken rod (the rod is broken off right underneath the reel seat...Im taking progression pics, and if it goes well....I will post a thread about how it was done.
Old 10-15-09, 07:59 PM   #11
CMorg

Your rod looks like it is floating on top of a ton of slop , like a spro frog...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.