Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-12, 05:12 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default normal handle or split grip

seem almost all poles are now split grip, though out side of weight balence, not sure the big thing about them. I like them on spinning, i hold it on the split grip end and bounce the worm more. anyway whats your take on them. if you had to fsh with one style whats ya choice
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-12, 05:50 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I definitely go split grip..The weight and money savings (from a builder view) can be enough.Especially with cork cost...But I also find them to be very stylish ..Now when I say split grip,I prefer a longer butt grip for two handed casting...Those little nub butt grips just dont do it for me.
Plus Ive never found myself putting my hand in the middle of a 8-10'' grip while fishing.

Its always a preference thing on handles....I could easily fish full length just as well and comfortable.
Old 01-12-12, 06:17 PM   #3
LittleBigBass
BassFishin.Com Member

im not sure if this is true, but i think maybe split grip is a little bit lighter and offers more feel. For me, i prefer split grip. What matters to me is the length from the reel, to the but of the pole. I like to be able to hold on to the reel foot, and have to bottom of the pole extend down to just below my elbow. I like this better because it helps to feel the fish, and instead of holding the pole with the strength of your wrist, you use your forearm.
LittleBigBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-12, 06:37 PM   #4
wallywallace

keep it guys, love your views
Old 01-12-12, 06:43 PM   #5
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I prefer normal style cork.
I've never tried a split grip, and maybe never will.
I'm not real big on change
Old 01-12-12, 07:24 PM   #6
joedog

I use mostly split grip but my go to's are jigs and plastics where sensativity is fairly important.
I'm a two hander like Waffle and agree with the nub butt comment and also fish both comfortably.
Old 01-12-12, 07:34 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

At first I thought it was gonna be just a passing fad...guess not. I've got a couple of real nice spinning rods with split grips and a Veritas BC rod..I like them OK but like somebody already said I never actually touch the exposed part anyway. They are rather stylish but unless I end up on the cover of Field and Stream, that's the least of my concerns.
Old 01-12-12, 07:42 PM   #8
bassboogieman

I resisted split grips for a couple years, but when I bought my last set of rods split grips were on most of my choices. After fishing with them for two years I like them, and only have one full cork handle left, happens to be on my frog rod and I still like a full handle for chucking frogs.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-12, 08:08 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
At first I thought it was gonna be just a passing fad...guess not. I've got a couple of real nice spinning rods with split grips and a Veritas BC rod..I like them OK but like somebody already said I never actually touch the exposed part anyway. They are rather stylish but unless I end up on the cover of Field and Stream, that's the least of my concerns.

LMAO! I like it!
Old 01-12-12, 08:20 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My rods are mixed. IMO, there isn't much benefit to them except for the looks. While they do reduce weight, they're taking weight off the wrong side of the rod (well, at least to those like me who prefer a balanced rod). The rods I use have weight added to balance them so the split grips are 100% for looks. I don't mind the feel of the split grip as long as the butt end is long enough.

I do prefer a good full cork handle on certain techniques. When chucking most crankbaits, big jigs, frogs, or anything that's heavy, I've got to have a full grip. Bad cork looks and can feel like crap though, so it's gotta be good cork.

BB
Old 01-12-12, 09:21 PM   #11
wallywallace

yea if you ended up on the cover of flw magazine, you say the suck right, gotta be F&S to say ya like em, lol
Old 01-12-12, 09:32 PM   #12
keithdog

I bought my first split grip rod a couple years ago, and after two years of using it, I can honestly say I have no real preference for or against. The rest of my rods are full cork handle and I have no desire to replace them for split grips.
Old 01-12-12, 09:43 PM   #13
Bassboss

Full CORK grip with a RUBBER but cap, and NO fore grip. To me this combination looks classy, and is functional!
Old 01-12-12, 10:36 PM   #14
Jrob78

I am 100% for split grips with no foregrip. Just like Waffle and Joe, I am a 2 hand caster and prefer a nice butt grip to grab onto. That's one thing I don't like about Falcon's split grip rods, their butt pieces are too small. I think St. Croix has the best butt grip on a production rod. Also, like Waffle, I build all my own rods and split grips cut the cost down considerably. Cork is soooo expensive.
Old 01-12-12, 11:30 PM   #15
bamabassman

well here's another vote for the full cork handle. now i don't really like VERY long handle most of the time. it seems to get caught on my belly (yes i know, need ot lose a few pounds). but if i'm casting for really long distances, longer the handle. i have jsut never liked the feel of the actual ROD whne i grip the handle. jsut like the full cork handles better. another reason i haven't ordered a rod from flappyjack or overseas bubba, lol!
Old 01-12-12, 11:51 PM   #16
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well here's another vote for the full cork handle. now i don't really like VERY long handle most of the time. it seems to get caught on my belly
Had to laugh at this John. haha I have the same issue. I hate when the end of the rod handle gets snagged between shirt buttons. lol
Old 01-13-12, 12:11 AM   #17
bamabassman

lol!!! sucks getting old don't it keith?
Old 01-13-12, 03:12 AM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I build my personals on mainly split grips now. If I have a heavy blank and something used for the long ball, I like to stay with the full grips.
Old 01-13-12, 03:36 AM   #19
joedog

Ok, rod builders.
My understanding of the split grip theory and better sensitivity is that the idea isn't to hold on at the split. It's more sensitive some what due to less weight but the sensitivity really comes from the fact the split handle doesn't muffle the 'vibrations' as much. Lets face it, where the splits usually are located isn't where anyone I've EVER known holds a rod other than while casting.
It's kind of like; if you take two metal bars and tap them together. You will feel the vibration from tip to tip almost completely the same. Now the more wrapping or cork ( I believe used because of it's great ability to transmit 'vibrations') you put on one end and then hold at that end when tapping the less you feel the 'vibrations'. Now if you split the cork or rap the 'vibration' flows freer through the start of the butt to the end of the butt. So in reality a truer feel of the 'vibration' through the whole rod.
Is this true?
Old 01-13-12, 09:54 AM   #20
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I ..Now when I say split grip,I prefer a longer butt grip for two handed casting...Those little nub butt grips just dont do it for me.
hate those nub-butt grips
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 11:07 AM   #21
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i see many people posting about the split grips. the only thing that i can say about split grips is they do take a small bit of weight out. now the other thing that i see mentioned is the amount of fisherman that are ok with no foregrip on the rod. i hold the rod in front of the reel and the foregrip is necessary for me. i can forsee that i will eventually have to devise my own foregrip on a new rod because everyone is doing away with them. there are many advantages in holding the rod in front of the reel. number one is you have a much better feel up in the rod itsself. two, you can run the line underneath your thumb and be able to feel even a change in tension on the line that you can feel hoding your reel or behind the reel. third, you have much more leverage in setting the hook as you have your weght more balanced and more of the weight of the rod behind your hand. this equates to leverage and rod speed. just my thoughts.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 12:23 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ok, rod builders.
My understanding of the split grip theory and better sensitivity is that the idea isn't to hold on at the split. It's more sensitive some what due to less weight but the sensitivity really comes from the fact the split handle doesn't muffle the 'vibrations' as much. Lets face it, where the splits usually are located isn't where anyone I've EVER known holds a rod other than while casting.
It's kind of like; if you take two metal bars and tap them together. You will feel the vibration from tip to tip almost completely the same. Now the more wrapping or cork ( I believe used because of it's great ability to transmit 'vibrations') you put on one end and then hold at that end when tapping the less you feel the 'vibrations'. Now if you split the cork or rap the 'vibration' flows freer through the start of the butt to the end of the butt. So in reality a truer feel of the 'vibration' through the whole rod.
Is this true?
In theory,yes. ..Will you ever notice?...Maybe ,maybe not since your hand is palming a reel and not the split grip like said already,and we all feel it differently...but I also think picking up on sensitivity is something you have to train yourself to tune into...If we all felt it the same way...Only one rod manufacturer would be surviving.
Cork does not transmit vibration greatly at all...Neither does EVA..If it did,the industrial world wouldn't use it for sound proofing...

I been searching for a way to some what calculate vibrations off a rod blank...But when I start reading about linear motion and velocity I realize how lazy I can be.
Old 01-13-12, 12:46 PM   #23
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea I'll have to agree with Manson. I don't like split grips for I have tried them. I have to have cork all the way. I even hate the way the foam handles feel. Its just not natural feeling to me plus I think with proper care the cork will outlast the synthetic material.
Old 01-13-12, 01:29 PM   #24
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Guy View Post
Yea I'll have to agree with Manson. I don't like split grips for I have tried them. I have to have cork all the way. I even hate the way the foam handles feel. Its just not natural feeling to me plus I think with proper care the cork will outlast the synthetic material.
I completely agree the opposite of this is true.
If cork was tougher and lasted longer...You'd see it on saltwater/boat rods.
Old 01-13-12, 02:54 PM   #25
wallywallace

going to say i never seen a cork salt water rod

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.