Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 04-17-13, 08:48 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Going fishing this weekend.

Can't freaking take it much longer!! Called my fishing buddy up and made plans tonight. Sunday after church we're heading over to the wolf river to try some SUCKER fishing! Only thing is, is we may be the suckers this time, not the (actual) suckers!

Weather's set for a high of 50 and over caster. Gonna toss out a dropper rig with a ball of night crawlers and see what happens!

Wish us luck, pics fish or not!
Old 04-17-13, 09:15 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good luck boss.
Old 04-17-13, 09:29 PM   #3
keithdog

Good luck Sammy! Remember, walleyes get active very early and spawn very early. You might want to try angling for ole marble eyes.
Old 04-17-13, 09:36 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Good luck Sammy! Remember, walleyes get active very early and spawn very early. You might want to try angling for ole marble eyes.
That was actually my first thought Keith! Then I remembered we can't fish for any real sport fish till May 4th. So we switched gears slightly and chose to target suckers. I surely wont complain about any walleye that like our crawler gobs, but we can't keep em or target them yet. I defiantly plan I trying to get a couple when they start running though!
Old 04-17-13, 09:49 PM   #5
joedog

Wolf river is moving water Sam.
Open year round usually for all game fish.

http://newlondontourism.com/fishing.htm
Regardless, best of luck on your adventure

Wanted to add,

WOLF RIVER
Walleyes staged in Lake Winnebago – our state’s premier walleye factory – get the urge to move many miles upstream to Fremont and beyond just about the same time walleyes are going great guns on the Fox, which is sometime between April 10 and April 20.

Like other rivers, the major upstream push on the Wolf happens at night. But unlike the Fox and to a lesser extent the Menominee, the gauntlet these fish have to run is more linear than wide.

A 5-year-old can cast across this river up around New London. But the Wolf here is surprising deep. A good plan is to set up in an ambush point where the slack water meets the fast water – like an entry point to a marsh – and employ a Wolf River rig or similar presentation that allows the fish to come to you rather than actively casting to them.

The upstream run only lasts a couple days at best. But when fish are done, they take a more leisurely slide back downstream a little higher up in the water column. Those marks halfway to the bottom on your electronics are walleyes until proven otherwise.

Contacts: Critter’s Sports, (920) 582-0471; Double B Guide Service, (920) 836-2377.

Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/0...#ixzz2QmA8OOl0

Last edited by joedog; 04-17-13 at 09:55 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 10:49 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Wolf river is moving water Sam.
Open year round usually for all game fish.

http://newlondontourism.com/fishing.htm
Regardless, best of luck on your adventure

Wanted to add,

WOLF RIVER
Walleyes staged in Lake Winnebago – our state’s premier walleye factory – get the urge to move many miles upstream to Fremont and beyond just about the same time walleyes are going great guns on the Fox, which is sometime between April 10 and April 20.

Like other rivers, the major upstream push on the Wolf happens at night. But unlike the Fox and to a lesser extent the Menominee, the gauntlet these fish have to run is more linear than wide.

A 5-year-old can cast across this river up around New London. But the Wolf here is surprising deep. A good plan is to set up in an ambush point where the slack water meets the fast water – like an entry point to a marsh – and employ a Wolf River rig or similar presentation that allows the fish to come to you rather than actively casting to them.

The upstream run only lasts a couple days at best. But when fish are done, they take a more leisurely slide back downstream a little higher up in the water column. Those marks halfway to the bottom on your electronics are walleyes until proven otherwise.

Contacts: Critter’s Sports, (920) 582-0471; Double B Guide Service, (920) 836-2377.

Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/0...#ixzz2QmA8OOl0
Thanks for the know how Joe!

The open season area of the wolf is actually south of the Shawno damn. I plan on fishing just north of it, but may try a spot I know that is open season!

The place I plan on hitting is right at the mouth of the river right outside Shawano lake. I figure the walleye that are in the lake, have to pass through there to get into the river, so what better place could there be? Ditto with the suckers. It's a somewhat marshy looking area as well.
Old 04-17-13, 11:35 PM   #7
joedog

Sam check this out.
I know nothing about these cams but it films the Walleye runs and Sturgeon and what ever else flows up there.

http://wolfrivercam.com/Shawano%20Dam.html

Was off when I found it but maybe fun.
Mess on the site and they have comments somewhere.
Didn't spend much time checking it out.
There is 5 different Cams around you.
Check left side of site.
Found it through Lake Links which may help you with new waters around you.
Don't need to be a member unless you want access to their maps.

Same site has a Bald Eagle Nest cam.
One small catch...
two Horned Owls stole the eagles nest this year so now you get ...

Bonnie and Clyde the Horned Owls.
They have a chick and for those of you that are interesred...mom and pop are out hunting and the chicks alone. 11:15 PM
They have an infared camera so you can view at night.
Parents will be back soon and wait till you see this little guy eat.

http://www.livewildlifecams.com/Wolf...%20Eagles.html

They have audio too and this little guy gets pretty excited when parents come back.

Last edited by joedog; 04-18-13 at 12:19 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 07:30 AM   #8
lilmule

Dont you guys got another front moving down from mini and dak with white stuff.
Hope it does miss ya had several late snows
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 07:44 AM   #9
joedog

Ya, FLUKING SNOW...enough already.
Last year we had 31 days above sixty already. This year ONE!
Snow forecast for tonight.
Doesn't really mean much cause it melts fast but still,

All I know for sure is...I'm warmer than SAM!
Old 04-24-13, 09:09 PM   #10
Bassboss

Well the weather didn't cooperate at all! Got snow and cold, didn't go out after all.

Weather for the beginning of next week is pushing 70 degrees though, so DEFINITELY fishing, weather it's catching crappy's after practice or whatever else I can muster!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.