Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-16-13, 10:39 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Interesting Day on the Lake

So my friend that I'm teaching to fish, Mitch, calls me up Tuesday to ask when we're going again. We agreed on Thursday and I spent yesterday throwing together some swim jigs and some others for the trip. It was nice to finally get a bit of time to make some more jigs.

We get on the water at 7 and head to where we caught fish last time. The water temps hadn't increased at all due to a couple cold days we had. We fished for a couple hours without even a bite. Tried swimjigs, spinnerbaits, worms, lizards, and I was even crazy enough to throw a squarebill crank in the weeds.

Around 10 I got the first fish. A gusty little bass of 10" who had my whole swimjig and 5" hollow belly swimbait in its mouth. Fished another couple hours without a bite. I tried a frog just for fun too as it warmed up.

Around noon, Mitch hooks into a fish and gets the keeper to the side of the boat where it come unbuttoned. Another swimjig fish. Later a caught another little fish, then hooked up with one that felt nicer. It was a 15" keeper. I'm loving the Buff by the way. Keeps the sun off my face and neck and no need for sunscreen with it.

A couple casts later, I was reeling my bait in about 3' from the boat and watched a musky of ~32-36" swim to the side of the boat from some weeds, grab the swimjig, and swim under the boat. I pulled back and he made a run. I handed the lip grips to Mitch and fought the fish for a few seconds before he came off.

I caught another small bass later in the day. Then on about our 50th "last cast" I hooked another small fish and pulled him in the boat. I thought man that's a skinny bass till I looked closer and realized it was a walleye. I knew they had stocked them in this lake, but never imagined I'd catch one on a swimjig in 4' of water in a weed bed. It went about 14" and I wasn't sure of the size limit for MI so I threw him back.

Mitch left the lake a little demoralized after his first skunk, but I had a decent and interesting day. We'll be going back soon and I'm still waiting for the pads to come up for FROG FISHING!

BB
Old 05-17-13, 06:55 AM   #2
keithdog

Sounds like a good time on the water, for you anyways. lol I'm sure Mitch will get a few next time out. Now that you know you caught a walleye, are you going to change tactics and try to get a few more?
Old 05-17-13, 08:15 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Keith, I think the next time my dad and I go up there we'll try and target some walleye.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.