Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-13, 09:11 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default New PB and a Great Day

My dad and I hit the lake yesterday, after my buddy Mitch and I had an ok day back on Thursday.

I started off with a swimjig, what we caught all our fish on Thursday. My dad started with a spinnerbait. I had barely put down the trolling motor and started down the shore when he got a hit, but he missed it. We fished down the shore about half an hour before he hooked up with a nice fish. It went 4lb 8oz on our scale. It was a nice first fish of the year for him.

He caught a small fish, about 12", then I got my first for the trip on the swimjig. About the same size.

My dad switched to a frog, and fairly quickly got a hit.

As we moved down the shore, the algae got thicker, so I switched to a frog as well. We each got a few, no keeper sized fish though. Then my dad hooked up with another, and I hooked up when his was about half way to the boat. First double of the year. Again, neither were keepers. My fish was a bit bigger.

We continued fishing frogs around the weedy and algae covered shallows. I hooked a nice feeling fish and it went 3lbs 10oz on our scale.

We continued to catch a few smaller fish on frogs. You can see the frogging water in the background.

Later I had a fish come up and just suck the frog in. I set the hook and it took of for a weed bed. Once it was out, I could see it was a nice fish. It went 4lbs 11oz on our scale. It was 20.5" long, and the weight calculator puts it at 5.7lbs with an estimated 14" girth. I don't know which is right, but I'm going to calibrate our scale based off of a small postal scale we have. I got my dad to take the picture with my phone, and it's a little off, but oh well.

I'd have liked for the fish to break the 5lb mark, but it's a personal best for me either way.

At the end of the day, we each had one over 4lbs and each had 12 fish. This was by far our best day on this lake, which is usually pretty tough to fish.

BB
Old 05-20-13, 11:02 AM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats on a great day of fishing with your dad and on the new PB! Personally, I'd be inclined to trust a scale way more than a weight calculator (especially if you are just estimating girth), but that's just me.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 09:35 PM   #3
Tavery5

Nice Fish!!!!
Old 05-21-13, 10:00 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Congrats on a great day of fishing with your dad and on the new PB! Personally, I'd be inclined to trust a scale way more than a weight calculator (especially if you are just estimating girth), but that's just me.
Yeah, I'm going with the numbers from the scale. I'm still going to calibrate it for future fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Nice Fish!!!!
Thanks Tony!

BB
Old 05-21-13, 03:17 PM   #5
Jrob78

Awesome day on the water! Congratulations on the new PB!
Old 05-21-13, 08:44 PM   #6
keithdog

That's some great bass fishing Anthony. It looks like your dad is having a great time too! Just curious, what color swim jig seems to be working well over there. I've had pretty good luck in the past throwing bluegill pattern swim jigs. Particularly the Strike King KVD swim jigs.
Old 05-21-13, 09:39 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Thanks Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
That's some great bass fishing Anthony. It looks like your dad is having a great time too! Just curious, what color swim jig seems to be working well over there. I've had pretty good luck in the past throwing bluegill pattern swim jigs. Particularly the Strike King KVD swim jigs.
Keith, the lake we were fishing is usually very muddy with visibility around 6-8". The lack of rain this spring has really let the water clear up a bit and visibility is around 2' in spots right now.

We've always done well on white/chartreuse spinnerbaits in this lake, and I carried that over to swimjigs when I started fishing them last year. I make my own, since I like the Owner Cutting Point hooks I pour on.

White/Chart and my variation on sexy shad has worked the best for us. Both fished with the Clown colored 5" Yum Money Minnow. Although my buddy Mitch got one on my color I call Brain Damage. Its black/pumpkin/chartreuse with I think a black Havoc Grass Pig.

I haven't been able to make a bluegill colored skirt I've been happy with, but I might start fishing some darker colors like black/blue there anyways.

BB
Old 05-22-13, 04:49 PM   #8
Bassboss

Nice fish BB!

Can't wait for the bass to start hitting frogs this year!
Old 05-25-13, 08:17 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Awesome day for you and your dad! Glad y'all got to whack em!
Old 05-25-13, 09:55 PM   #10
bamabassman

hey anthony.....jsut courious.....waht's with the waffle mask, hahahaha!
Old 05-26-13, 09:49 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hey anthony.....jsut courious.....waht's with the waffle mask, hahahaha!
John, I'm personally not a fan of sunscreen. So anything I can do to keep the sun off without using it is a plus. In combination with glasses, a hat, and a collared fishing shirt, I'm set. Aside from no UV rays, it also keeps the heat of the sun off (which sunscreen doesn't). And with a little breeze, it doesn't really get hot.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.