Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 08-09-14, 11:46 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default August 9th Double Report

Two nights in a row, two fisherman with the same name, what are the odds? A father and son outing tonight. The first couple of hours featured a lot of casting and not a lot of hits. The second half of the night had a marked increase in the number of hits, including a blow up, a hook up and a few lost fish, and a nice Potomac Pike on a new customer made bait. Dad got a nice bass toward the end of the night. A largemouth that was actually tailing in the shallows like a red fish was his target. A nice father son outing that I was privileged to be a part of.

Capt Dave

Started out with two young guns who could cast very well. 4 follows and one hit hit in the first couple hours by Potomac Pike. The wind kicked up and the PP kinda turned off. The wind would stop and more follows but no hits. Frustrating so we went out of the wind and well found no fish. Moved again and bang fish on. Pesky LGMouth left cover to hit our well placed toads and then a Potomac Pike smashed a toad and a first ever for one of the young guns gets landed. Many more pesky LGMouth after that. Then as darkness came on they shut down. Then it rained buckets as we departed up the highway for home..Got home to dry ground and no rain to be found.

Capt Mike
Old 08-10-14, 09:23 AM   #2
lilmule

I love these reports,same here rained to the north,south east and west,rained on me driving home got home had sprinkled,Did however get 2 in next day,but all soaked in as dry as a bone no runoff.
Here largemouth are often put on not off by wind,have had days couldnt even see the buzzbait and they were hammering it.Was also having a hard time standing up out on the main on long points but those are memorable days.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 09:36 AM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am a bit of a stickler for calling fish by their true name (not the Latin name, but the English one). I love your continuing reports, but are you contractually obligated to call Snake Heads "Potomac Pike"? I know the tourist boards want that, to make the fish seem more ... appropriate? Appetizing? Native? Do you get more business if you call them a "nicer" name?
I am sorry to vent on the post like this, but it just grates on my nerves to see them called Potomac Pike when they are neither from the Potomac, nor are they Pike.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 12:56 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Channa (snakehead) where introduced into the Potomac many years ago and the moniker of Potomac Pike has stuck here with all the locals. They are the primary target fish now for the challenge of the bite on rod and reel. Great table fare that is sustainable for future fisherman also. They are very skiddish and wind will make the pads move and then they slip under the grass and disappear. If a bird fly's over they disappear under the grass. If you move in the boat they disappear. If the line touches the water they spook and disappear. Dam near impossible on a fly rod too. You see them in most cases and cast past them and never too them or they spook.

Also remember we fish in about a foot of water above three feet of grass. The water is gin clear also.

Capt Mike
Old 08-10-14, 10:22 PM   #5
mikechell

Oh, trust me ... I am NOT asking why fish for them. I can't wait to get up there for a chance at hooking a large one. I might go to south Florida for a Southern Snake Head, but they don't get as big ... and I am not sure the Giants have survived, so your area is the best option.
However, I didn't know why you kept calling them Pike. I understand that it's become a colloquialism and I'll just have to deal with it.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 11:15 PM   #6
dave

Fun to call them Potomac Pike...

That is all.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.