Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-11, 06:13 PM   #1
G-Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default FISHING CLUB- Join OR Not Join

I have been on the forum since Christmas and have earned ALOT from everyone on this forum. Hats off and Thank you to you all.

I still dont have my boat ( expect in less that 30 days) but am wondering if there is any value in joining a local fishing club.

There are many to choose from in Georgia. Do I join or no?? How do you know which one is the right one ??
Anyone out there have some advice.
Thanks
GMan from Georgia
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:35 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would join as I am in one. I think it's a great way to meet people and learn to fish different lakes in different ways. I know that you just purchased a brand new boat, but I would join a club as non-boater. Pre-fish alone and then backseat on another boat. You will be amazed at what you will learn (that is what I did for the first year in my club - second year I won AOY).

Now, as for the club. I fish one that is fairly small, 9 guys. Our tournaments are $5 each for big bass. It's more of just bragging rights and a little money. We do have a Classic at the end of the year and that's $20 and we only pay big bass, 2nd big bass and smallest bass. You can only win one. And for us it's great. You don't have fights over spots or money. It's actually a fun club and a place to BS and learn. We do two camping trips and 3 local tournaments. Some are all about tournaments and winning money and could care less about others, ours is fun. We donate to a local church, have parties and typically we get along! Our AOY is done by total weight for the year.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 07:18 PM   #3
CMorg

Join. I too am in one. Mine is a bit bigger than the last one mentioned , but most of the guys are really cool , and will "teach" you what they know. I did not join as a non boater , I have a small boat that works ok. I didnt want to go as a non boater because most of the guys in my club do not want to give away any spots they found. I now agree with that logic. I have to go in search of my own spots. I am not that good , but I am learning , and having fun to boot. So , go ahead and join , I think the only way you will know which one is right it to just ask around , and do some internet research.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 09:52 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey buddy, look up BOB SMITH. he can point oyu int he right direction and give oyu some heads up tips on what to look for. he lives in ga too.
Old 03-17-11, 10:15 PM   #5
G-Man

I sent an email out to 3 bass clubs near me and one called back tonight and we had a 30 minute conversation.
I plan to go to one of their meetings April 4th. I had a good conversation and was told I had to fish as a co angler for a while and that is fine with me. This is a small club about 15 active members and Im looking forward to it.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 12:47 PM   #6
DVT Mike

I fish a local club and enjoy it a lot. Like everything some are better than others. You just need to find the right fit for you. Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-18-11, 02:51 PM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sounds like you are getting set up!

I would not trade my days fishing in a club for anything. It is the best learning tool you can have.

Most likely you will learn more the first year with an active club than you've learned up to this point.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 10:57 PM   #8
cassidyta

I agree that you will learn a lot. Additionally, as a back seater, you will learn boat position better than on your own.
Old 03-19-11, 09:38 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Bass clubs are probably the best and easiest way to learn about fishing, especially tournament fishing. Fishing as a co-angler is the best way to learn too. You will learn new areas and also learn a lot of techniques from guys. You will most likely make some great friends and fishing buddies as well. Since you are waiting on your boat to arrive, clubs are also a great way for you to learn boat handling, both driving and trolling motor. Tournament fishing is a blast, I don't know what I woiuld do if I wasn't able to compete on the water. However a lot of tournaments are won or lost by decision making. Most everyone in tournaments have close to equal abilities to do the basics like cast, set the hook, and other basics. What seperates most tournament winners is that they made better decisions and better on the water adjustments than the rest of the field, and they did it in a better timely manner. When you are just out goofing off on the lake if you spend more time than you should have in an area that isn't producing it's no big deal. But in a tournament time matters and knowing when to stay or when to go is a hard decision to make, and a great way to gain those valuable instincts is by spending time tournament fishing and honestly taking your lumps as your learning. I strongly believe that joining a club will be a decision that you will be happy you made in the end. Just know the steps for being a good co-angler, there aren't many rules but what rules there is are important to make sure your not labeled as "that guy". These rules are so important that there should be a thread dedicated to them, I will start one now lol.

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 03-19-11 at 10:13 PM.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 11:14 PM   #10
bamabassman

sorry to disagree with oyu kory....but HERE is the best way to learn about fishing. hehehe. had to buddy.
Old 03-20-11, 10:47 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
sorry to disagree with oyu kory....but HERE is the best way to learn about fishing. hehehe. had to buddy.
Absolutley not. Is this place the best way to learn about fishing on the internet? Probably so. But there is only so much you can learn by reading magazines, books, the internet, and fishing shows. At some point you start learning more by being on the water than you can learn from other sources.
Old 03-20-11, 12:57 PM   #12
bamabassman

kory..........i wuz just messin wit ya pal. there are a LOT of ways to LEARN MORE about techiniques and other methods. this is HOME though, get it? hahahaha.
Old 03-20-11, 05:36 PM   #13
CMorg

Here is a prime example of learning from your club memebers. Today I was having a hard time with the fish , they just did not want to cooperate , and it was windy. A club member that I like alot came up to me a few hours in and said you having any luck , I said not really. He said care if I ask what you got tied on. So , I told him what my rods had on , he said your throwing the wrong thing. He dug around in his tackle box and thew into my boat a red craw bandit 100 crank. He said dont be scared to throw it shallow either. I did what he said , and I kid you not I probably caught 30-40 bass today. Not many were keepers , but still. I also fine tuned it , the bass were in the lilly pad stems. I knew to go from pad field to pad field by the end of the tourney.
Old 03-20-11, 08:23 PM   #14
bamabassman

got a pic of that cmorg? i wanna see if i have the same crank. lol, thinking about hitting g'ville pads this coming week.
Old 03-20-11, 08:45 PM   #15
bassinbob

bama, try some sweet beavers t-rigged in those pad stems.
Old 03-20-11, 09:24 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
kory..........i wuz just messin wit ya pal. there are a LOT of ways to LEARN MORE about techiniques and other methods. this is HOME though, get it? hahahaha.
I knew you were joking with me dude. This is one of the best places on the internet to get information and learn however much you can learn by reading, but like I said there are certain parts of fishing that you can only learn first hand.
Old 03-21-11, 08:58 PM   #17
CMorg

Here you go Bama.. Red Craw pattern

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bandi...html#multiview
Old 03-21-11, 10:40 PM   #18
bamabassman

thanks cmorg. ain't got that one............YET! LOL!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.