Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-11, 12:07 AM   #1
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default if money was not an issue??

If money was not an issue what would be your ultimate freshwater set up? I'm leaning towards something that's the lighest on the market(like a steez rod & reel) since I've Been fishing almost everyday & my wrist is sore. This monkey keeps chasing me as the weather gets warmer
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 12:23 AM   #2
Imgoodatwhatido

Id like to have a steez, But I can build a lighter rod than can be bought.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 12:32 AM   #3
boloson

Steez rods weigh under 4oz right? U can build something lighter than that? Is it normally better quality buying custom made rods?
Old 05-02-11, 02:51 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Like you said my friend, it is all in the budget. I held a rod made on a Phenix blank a few weeks ago the weighed in at 3.4 oz. And if money was not object, I would opt to build a rod on a Phenix or Forecast RX8 7' MH-F (843) and match it with a Shimano 6.2:1 Core 100MG.
Old 05-02-11, 07:03 AM   #5
walkeraviator

I with Boloson since i cant build my own. Steez Rod, Steez Reel
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 08:54 AM   #6
bassboogieman

I prefer a light weight rod myself. Consider though, the trade off with the expensive, light weight blanks. Weight reduction is accomplished in several ways, components of course, but also in thinner walled blanks. Those light, sensitive blanks have high graphite content which also makes them brittle. They will not stand the abuse of less expensive rods, and the stories of broken rods and unhappy customers can be found on virtually every fishing related website.

Taken care of, however, they will last and offer an improved fishing experience (IMO). Just don't drop them on the boat deck, keep them covered with a sleeve when not in use - significant scratches (hooks) in the blank is like a score line on glass, and the rod may break along that scratch. Do not inhibit the rod's ability to flex along the entire lenght of the blank (like grabbing the rod near the end while landing a fish), and do not try to dislodge a snag by snapping the rod - use a lure retreiver or break it off - risking a $300+ rod to get a $5 lure back is NOT good economics.

If your budget allows, there are several high quality commercial rods available, like Kistler Z-bone, Loomis GLX or NRX, Steez, etc. A custom rod builder can make a personal rod for you, combining a superior blank with quality components, and custom touches that make the rod YOURS. The choice is up to the individual and they are many.

Strictly from my PERSONAL viewpoint: IF you are willing to spend $400+ on a Steez, GLX, etc. - you can get a custom builder to build you a comparable or superior rod for the same money, and it will be unique. Anyone can buy a Steez or GLX, they are certainly not a unique rod,. If you want a superior rod, that no one else has, then try a quality custom. Agian, it's a matter of individual choice.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 09:22 AM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would run the same rods I do now - Falcon Cara's, but I'd upgrade all the ones I have to micro guides. I may however jump up to a Shimano Core 101MG in the reel department.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 09:39 AM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Lighter is not always better. I'd take a slightly heavier, but better balanced rod any day, over the lightest rod on the market (which isn't the Steez by the way) The Shimano Cumulus rods feature a rod that weighs in at a mere 2.75oz, that's tough, even for a custom builder.

If I was buying off the shelf rods, I'd also stick with what I've got now (or what I'm beginning to get): Dobyns Champion Extreme rods.

But if money was unlimited, I'd probably be buying customs. Budget allowing, I'll be getting my first custom this summer. Then I'll see if I'll be buying more customs or more Dobyns.

Reels would be a mix. Mostly Steez reels, probably JDM versions since they have a high speed LH... But in the mix I'd need a couple Zillions. And of course a couple Sols or Alphas, particularly the Alphas Ito or the Alphas R-edition. And I'd have to have a Pixy or two: the 2004 Pearl Yellow Pixy, or the new PX68.

A couple other reels I'd love to have would be the TD-Z Ito, Alphas 105 Finesse, the new Daiwa T3 1016L, and probably a Megabass Zonda 10L.

BB
Old 05-02-11, 10:04 AM   #9
nofearengineer

If money was no object, I would be making my own rods and reels. I'd bust out my Solidworks and a good CNC mill for the reel. Now that would be fun.
Old 05-02-11, 11:33 AM   #10
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
If money was no object, I would be making my own rods and reels. I'd bust out my Solidworks and a good CNC mill for the reel. Now that would be fun.
You know you can't design anything worth a damn without PTC Pro/E.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 01:15 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
"and do not try to dislodge a snag by snapping the rod - use a lure retreiver or break it off - risking a $300+ rod to get a $5 lure back is NOT good economics. "
I never knew this, but it makes good sense in a sort. I don't think I have actually snapped a lure out successfully yet. Hence another reason to quit trying to learn how. Thanks for the note Boogie.
Old 05-02-11, 02:22 PM   #12
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
and do not try to dislodge a snag by snapping the rod - use a lure retreiver or break it off - risking a $300+ rod to get a $5 lure back is NOT good economics.
amen to that lure retriever but i use $15.99 lures so it would be worth it for me to get it back by any means nessacery lol. just the other day my cousin snagged 1 of my luckycrafts in a tree & didnt tell me about it till we left. i was really bummed but the next day i returned to the lake & trekked through poison ivy invested woods to get it back. it was worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Lighter is not always better. I'd take a slightly heavier, but better balanced rod any day, over the lightest rod on the market (which isn't the Steez by the way) The Shimano Cumulus rods feature a rod that weighs in at a mere 2.75oz, that's tough, even for a custom builder.

If I was buying off the shelf rods, I'd also stick with what I've got now (or what I'm beginning to get): Dobyns Champion Extreme rods.

But if money was unlimited, I'd probably be buying customs. Budget allowing, I'll be getting my first custom this summer. Then I'll see if I'll be buying more customs or more Dobyns.

Reels would be a mix. Mostly Steez reels, probably JDM versions since they have a high speed LH... But in the mix I'd need a couple Zillions. And of course a couple Sols or Alphas, particularly the Alphas Ito or the Alphas R-edition. And I'd have to have a Pixy or two: the 2004 Pearl Yellow Pixy, or the new PX68.

A couple other reels I'd love to have would be the TD-Z Ito, Alphas 105 Finesse, the new Daiwa T3 1016L, and probably a Megabass Zonda 10L.

BB
i've held the cumulus & it didn't feel right to me for some reason. plus the reviews on tackletour was not so good especially for a $400 rod. i'm definitely on the same page for the jdm stuff. nothing compares to japanese quality craftsmanship imho. were is everyone finding custom rods? can u point me to some companies? i know bubba makes em too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Like you said my friend, it is all in the budget. I held a rod made on a Phenix blank a few weeks ago the weighed in at 3.4 oz. And if money was not object, I would opt to build a rod on a Phenix or Forecast RX8 7' MH-F (843) and match it with a Shimano 6.2:1 Core 100MG.
2nd time i heard that phoenix being mentioned. is that a custom rod co?
Old 05-02-11, 02:25 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
You know you can't design anything worth a damn without PTC Pro/E.
Haha, I don't know jack about that software. When software costs $5,000-$10,000 a pop, you don't get to try them all.
Old 05-02-11, 02:32 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
i've held the cumulus & it didn't feel right to me for some reason. plus the reviews on tackletour was not so good especially for a $400 rod. i'm definitely on the same page for the jdm stuff. nothing compares to japanese quality craftsmanship imho. were is everyone finding custom rods? can u point me to some companies? i know bubba makes em too.

2nd time i heard that phoenix being mentioned. is that a custom rod co?
IMO, most of the Cumulus rods don't feel that light because they aren't particularly well balanced.

To get yourself a custom rod, you'll need to get in contact with a custom builder. They will help you select a blank, components, etc. Walker (WaffleJaw) will be building mine.

Phenix (no "o" in their name ) used to be one of the top producers of boron rods back in the day then kinda disappeared. They came back onto the bass fishing scene a couple years ago with their Ultra MBX series of rods. They do sell blanks. My custom will probably be built on a Phenix UMBX 707MH (7'7" MH). Some other good blanks are from North Fork Composites (Gary Loomis's company), St. Croix, Rainshadow, etc.

BB
Old 05-02-11, 05:39 PM   #15
bamabassman

if money was NOT an issue......i would have KVD, BILL DANCE, AND OL ROLAND MARTIN in my rig. that way, no matter what rod, reel i was using i would load the boat. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Old 05-02-11, 07:08 PM   #16
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
if money was NOT an issue......i would have KVD, BILL DANCE, AND OL ROLAND MARTIN in my rig. that way, no matter what rod, reel i was using i would load the boat. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Why? Lisa loads the boat fer ya now.
Old 05-02-11, 07:10 PM   #17
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
If you can pull that off John, let me know cause I wanna be there!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-11, 08:47 PM   #18
Bassboss

G. Loomis NRX rods, and steez, and stella reels.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.