Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-07-09, 03:45 PM   #1
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

Default lucky craft

ase lucky craft lures really that good that they charge $15 to $25 each? i was at gander mnt look to get some lures and i found them. i would like to try them but are they really worth the cost?
Old 06-07-09, 04:12 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

not really worth the money but they work.. what kind are ya looking at??

zooker
Old 06-07-09, 04:12 PM   #3
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have some but I still use most of my other crankbaits more. I use wiggle warts has much has any others. I got most of my lucky crafts off of ebay. Cheaper.
Old 06-08-09, 04:29 AM   #4
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

They are my favorite cranks, as well as jerkbaits and walking baits. That being said, I just don't buy any more due to the price. If money isn't an issue then I would recommend them, but in any case they are pretty pricey. I am starting to get nailed by the monkey for their new redemption spinnerbaits though! I just gatta have some .
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 07:28 AM   #5
keithdog

I would bet money that in todays poor ecconomic situation, with so many people now unemployed or having their hours cut that Lucky Craft sales are taking a hit big time. No doubt they are well made. No doubt they are overpriced. With so many other very well made lures being sold by the competition at a price the average guy can afford, why spend the big bucks to buy Lucky Craft? I get the feeling Lucky Craft is probably thinking they can charge higher prices and the fisherman will think they are getting a vastly superior product. It's a marketing ploy. Make people think they are paying for the best product out there and reap the benefits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 09:47 AM   #6
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys. i woukd like to try them but i cant get past the price.
Old 06-09-09, 12:13 AM   #7
BassinID

The opacity on many of their baits is what I feel makes them worth it, others that I like that are similar are spro little john and little john md. I am really excited for the spro big john to come out this summer.
Old 06-09-09, 10:09 AM   #8
Bender

I have quite a few Pointers and Stacees, as well as other jerkbaits. IMO they have about the best weight transfer system and a lot of colors that nobody else has. I haven't tried their crankbaits and the one Sammy I have isn't the best "spook" I have tried.

As far as the price, a lot of them I have were found on 50% clearance sales over the winter. Just keep an eye out on clearance racks and if you see one for cheap give it a try.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 03:51 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I bought my first one at the KY lake event at the awesome tackle store. I figured I'd get something I wouldn't normally get since I was on vacation. Well, It's nice, but I don't know if I'd pay that much for a crankbait again.

I used a friend of mine's sammy and I like my XCalibur Jimmy much better.

I've never tried the pointers since I don't fish jerkbait except in the spring and don't spend a lot of money on them. I'll stick with Husky Jerks and X Raps

BB
Old 06-10-09, 03:08 PM   #10
REDBULLCUBAN
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinbassgod View Post
ase lucky craft lures really that good that they charge $15 to $25 each? i was at gander mnt look to get some lures and i found them. i would like to try them but are they really worth the cost?
my cousin bought couple of them he is so scared of losing them lol i asked why spend money on a lure your afraid to lose they do look and feel nice though
Old 06-10-09, 03:46 PM   #11
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinbassgod View Post
thanks guys. i woukd like to try them but i cant get past the price.
You need to pay attention to BPS or TackleWarehouse and wait for the sales. The RC's (1.5 and 2.5) are very good baits and if I could get them at $5 that would be very nice. I got mine for $9 and not $15. The Fat CB BDS 2.0 cranks are very nice too. If you can get it discounted then pick one up. I've got a Sammy and a Pointer and the Sammy isn't anything special for the price. I've caught nothing on the Pointer but I learned a lesson.
Another option is getting some of the replica's or knockoff's. Academy makes a bait very similar to the RC and it sells at $5. My buddy Donnie paints an excellent Sammy replica. You can find his number on my site and I think he sells them for $6-8 but don't quote me.
Old 06-10-09, 03:59 PM   #12
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
You need to pay attention to BPS or TackleWarehouse and wait for the sales. The RC's (1.5 and 2.5) are very good baits and if I could get them at $5 that would be very nice. I got mine for $9 and not $15. The Fat CB BDS 2.0 cranks are very nice too. If you can get it discounted then pick one up. I've got a Sammy and a Pointer and the Sammy isn't anything special for the price. I've caught nothing on the Pointer but I learned a lesson.
Another option is getting some of the replica's or knockoff's. Academy makes a bait very similar to the RC and it sells at $5. My buddy Donnie paints an excellent Sammy replica. You can find his number on my site and I think he sells them for $6-8 but don't quote me.
Also watch ebay, that's where I got mine. Well most of them
Old 06-10-09, 05:19 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Their new propbait looks killer, especially the MS Black.

the new Kelly J:

BB
Old 06-10-09, 08:31 PM   #14
BassinID

My favorites are the rc cranks and the stacy jerkbaits, but i also love the pointers. Just too expensive without finding them on e-bay.
Old 06-10-09, 10:33 PM   #15
Rebbasser

IMO the jerkbaits are-I've caught more jerkbait fish on them than any other brand.
Old 06-11-09, 08:58 AM   #16
3dkicker

Reb - I've heard that many times. I've got a 78 to trade.......

BB - Kelly J and LC knocked off Brian's Bees. Check out Brian's original prop bait but caution....extreme sticker shock!
Old 06-11-09, 03:09 PM   #17
BassinID

3d, have you also tried the 100 size? I fished both the 100 and the 78 next to eachother quite a few time and the 100 seems to out fish it about 3 to 1.
Old 06-11-09, 05:02 PM   #18
bassboogieman

I like the consistant quality of Lucky Craft baits. Excellent ballance, they run true out of the box, finish is better than most and so are the hooks, oval split ring is a nice touch. At $16 +/- they are at the upper end of the spectrum. If you compare them to some of the BPS branded baits that are around $10 now (and do not begin to compare to a L/C bait) the additional cost for a L/C isn't so bad. Bill Lewis came out with a new rattletrap that's near $10. A TEN DOLLAR RATTLETRAP?? Who would have thought that would happen? Other (Japan) brands like Jackall and Evergreen are about the same price point as L/C and I don't think they are as good. Sebile and Megabass are also pretty expensive. How about Lazer Lures? OMG! They are comparably priced to L/C.
There are a lot of "premium" lures out there and if you can afford them, fine. If you can't then there are other baits that have been proven over time - Bomber, Strike King, Rapala, etc, and of course store branded lures like Cabela's, Academy or BPS, Whatever you have confidence in is really what counts.
If you want to blow a lot of money - there are always "CUSTOM" painted lures. Many of them are just too darn pretty to throw.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-11-09 at 05:12 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 09:57 AM   #19
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

That allway's gets me thinking about custom paint jobs.Why do people spend 20 extra dollars on a 6 dallar bait.When I have fish eat my baits that are choped up.Crankbait is a reaction bite some times the fish don't even see the bait they just get it.The action of the bait should be the most important.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 03:45 PM   #20
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyfish View Post
That allway's gets me thinking about custom paint jobs.Why do people spend 20 extra dollars on a 6 dallar bait.When I have fish eat my baits that are choped up.Crankbait is a reaction bite some times the fish don't even see the bait they just get it.The action of the bait should be the most important.
The only explanation that makes sense to me is tournament fishing. I would spend an extra twenty on a few baits if i thought that it gave me a significantly better chance at a few more good bites in a tournament, couple bucks is worth finishing in the money for sure.
Old 06-12-09, 10:57 PM   #21
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
3d, have you also tried the 100 size? I fished both the 100 and the 78 next to eachother quite a few time and the 100 seems to out fish it about 3 to 1.
No I haven't. I've got a selection of rogue's and other jerkbaits in larger sizes and colors and don't really catch much on them either. The only one I ever catch fish on is an old Rapala (at least 25yrs old) but other than that I didn't see much reason to buy another one.
Old 06-13-09, 03:35 AM   #22
BassinID

Yea, I find that you really have to devote time to a jerkbait to get great results.
Old 06-17-09, 10:16 AM   #23
everettvet

I have several lucky craft cranks that were given to me as presents. To be honest, I have caught fish on all of them. My favorite lucky craft is the top water sammy. I have cranks by bomber, strike king, norman and other companies. I can not say that I catch more on the lucky craft cranks than the other ones. When I go shopping, I see the lucky craft section and keep walking. I know that I can buy a few cranks for the price of a single lucky craft. When the bait monkey is talking, we wants lots of new lures not a single expensive one.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 05:46 PM   #24
BigBassin144

everett, if you like the Sammy, I'd have to recommend the XCalibur Jimmy. This is by far my favorite topwater stickbait. and they're cheaper than the sammy as well, only drawback is not a lot of color choice, but IMO, that doesn't matter that much for topwaters.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.