Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-12-09, 02:51 PM   #1
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Spinnerbait Info?

I really don't use spinnerbaits much, thus I don't really know how to fish them.

I've heard to use them when it's windy, or when all else fails.

How do you fish them though? Do you let it sink, then just reel it in? Slow/Fast? I really don't know...

If you can post your tactics/strategies it would be greatly appreciated.

stevomac
Old 05-12-09, 03:02 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There's not really a wrong way to fish a spinnerbait. Reel it in fast with your rod tip high to create a wake on the surface, let it sink all the way to the bottom and reel just fast enough to feel the blades turn, jerk and let it fall like it's wounded, bump it off stumps and other cover...mix and match until you find what the fish want.
It's very rare that I don't have a spinnerbait on one of my rods. They really shine when there's some wind and a little wave action, but they'll work a lot of the time, wind or no wind.
Old 05-12-09, 03:05 PM   #3
stevomac59

Thanks MB.
Old 05-12-09, 03:19 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

a couple months back i decided i wanted to learn to fish a spinnerbait proficiently(sp.) so i read up on the internet and put together a little sheet that i read over about once a week to keep it in my memory so i dont for get what i learned.

here ya go

TIPS FOR FISHING A SPINNERBAIT!!!
Choose the colors best suited to your water. A translucent or silvery skirt gives you that subtle look in clear water. A bolder yellow or green works in stained or dark water. In really dirty water, a black or red skirt shows through the dinged water. You can mix and match colors to work in that in between water, or pull through different clarity of water such as at the mouth of your favorite creek.
If you are having trouble selecting a color, let the color of the bass be a guide. If the bass are a very light color with little green on their sides, then a white or silver skirt should match the hatch pretty well. If the bass are dark down their sides, almost a true black bass, your dark colors with perhaps a few bright strands should work well. Trim the skirt to an even length just behind the hook. This will keep the hook hidden, give a bulky look, and keep from interfering with any action of a plastic trailer.
If you are planning to throw your spinner into and through weeds or thick brush, the front blade of the tandem will foul and kill the action of the bait. Therefore, anytime you are going through cover, choose a single blade.
If you want a slow presentation, the Single blade will work better at the crawling pace. Since the Single blade provides less lift at speed, it is also preferred for deep presentation. For a faster pace, the tandem baits will give you that extra lift for a shallow flashy presentation. In spring and fall, when that bass are on the banks, a tandem bait at a fairly quick pace works well. Summer and winter, a deep single blade will normally perform better. There is that special case of really ripping a bait shallow. Since the single blade has less lift and drag, it is the best model for high speed retrieves.
The Colorado blades gives the most lift and drag, so is suited to slow or shallow presentations. The Willow Leaf moves easily through the water, so gives you the fastest and deepest option. The Willow Leaf, because of its slender shape, also goes through cover the best so is well suited for probing inside weed beds. The Colorado, with its round shape, moves a lot of water and gives out the most vibration. If you are in low visibility water and think the fish need some help in locating the bait, a Colorado is the ticket. Since most things in life are a compromise, and you find yourself in need of one, select an Indiana and fine tune with one of the other styles later if needed.
In general, in clear water, small is good. In dark water, large is good. This goes back to the theory that we really don't want the bass to see the bait too well from a distance but we still want him to find it. For a given head size and blade style, the size of the blade will be fairly obvious for any target retrieve you have in mind. All of this works up to a point. You really can't go too big with a given blade without causing the bait to turn over on its side, or even start doing loops in the water. The bait needs to come through the water in a stable upright position and reasonable blade size will insure this happens at the desired depth and speed.
Painted blades can be used in special situations, such as black water or in a rain storm, but the metal finish will get you by in just about all cases. Each color may also be had in a smooth or hammered finish. For a given size and style of blade, all you are playing with is the flash the bait will give out during retrieve. For clear water a nickel blade gives the most flash. In dark water, a gold or copper will give more flash. Much like the skirt color, brightest may not be best. In some cases the brightest flash may be too much and a more subdued color work better. This is particularly true in very clear water. The hammered finish as verses the smooth finish is another factor to use. The smooth finish will give out a large bright flash in a limited number of directions. A hammered or diamond cut finish will break up the single flash into many smaller flashes in more directions. Another way to look at this is a smooth finish looks like a fish, the hammered finish looks like several small fish. If the fish are spooky, the hammered finish is less threatening. If the bass are feeding on 5" shad, the smooth finish will match the hatch. In clear water, the hammered finish will broadcast in all directions. In stained water you may need the beacon light of the smooth finish to pierce the gloom. And, of course, available light should be considered. A clear calm day will give you much more flash off of the blade than with windswept waves or a slight overcast.
Old 05-13-09, 04:02 PM   #5
BassinID

I like to use spinnerbaits for search baits when bass are shallow. I throw them around cover, especially stumps and bring them back 1' to 3" under the surface. I usually let the bass decide my retrieve depth and speed. Most of the time I end up fishing them medium slow about 6 or 8 inches deep. The other major time that I will throw them is when I have a light to medium surface chop. I go for windblown shorelines or flats and wake the surface with them. I like white or shad color for most of my applications, but if the water is muddy I will go to chart.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 03:22 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I love fishing spinnerbaits! They're fast moving, and I catch a lot of bass on them. Out of all the bass over 5 pounds I've caught, most of them have been on spinnerbaits!

Working spinnerbaits

Spinnerbaits are easy to use and effective. There's no right or wrong way to fish them. The way most people fish them is with a straight, fast to medium-fast retrieve. However, I have found that a stop and go retrieve is also effective, as is an erratic one done by shaking the rod tip slightly on the retrieve so as to make the skirt pulsate. I also will make speed changes a lot, I'll be reeling it in, and then will suddenly start reeling fast, than kill it! A lot of my bass on spinnerbaits come by doing this. I think I get a lot of my bass this way for the same reason you wanna knock a crankbait on a piece of wood, or rock. This change in speed triggers a bass to hit! Most of them time you wanna keep the bait relatively high in the water column! Another VERY effective way to fish them is to wake them, this is easiest to do with a big willow leaf blade or Colorado blade, Simply cast out and reel, reeling fast enough to keep a constant wake on the water.

Another good way to fish them is slow-roll them. I also like to do this with a big number 5 willow, or a number 4 Colorado. Cast out let the bait sinks to the bottom and start reeling relatively slowly. This will keep the blade rotating and kicking up silt on the bottom, it's kind of a reveres waking method! Another thing I like to do with spinnerbaits is to bring them over hydrilla, and where there's a hole in it, drop in side there, bass will hit them then too!

There's almost no limit as to where you can fish spinnerbaits. There pretty weedless, you can can pull them through wood, and weeds relatively snag free. Don't afraid to throw them in the thick stuff like hydrilla and and reeds.

Trailers?

The only time when I don't use a trailer on spinnerbaits is if I don't have one! And I've never not had trailers! Good trailers would be split tail worms, grubs, Hula grubs, and paddle tail worms. Out of all of them, I thing I like the grub, and split tail worm.

split tail worms:

grubs:

So many colors, so little time

There are so many spinnerbait colors out there it's hard to find the right one that the bass will bite! It can definitely confuse a lot of people just starting to use spinnerbaits!

Clear water

As far as color, and blades sizes, I like chartreuse for most conditions, if the water is super clear I'll use a white skirt with some translucent skirt strands, silver blades are also better for clear water. It's nice to have flash strands for clear water too. ^^ There's a good example of one! A smaller 1/4 oz size is best.

Strained water

For colors in stained water with a visibility of 10 feet or less, I like chartreuse and white skirts, with no flash skirts strands, or translucent skirts strands. You need a bigger profile bait so the bass can find it better in the stained water, so a 3/8oz is what I use!

Chocolate, and murky water

When I fish murky, or Chocolate milk colored water, it's good to have spinnerbaits with florescent colors, such as red, yellow, chartreuse, and orange; the brighter the better! It really helps the bass see it a little better. You need a bigger profile bait so the bass can find it better in the muddy water -- even more so than in stained water, so a 1/2 oz is what I use!

So many blades so little time; The tree main blades

There are so many blades styles out now that it's hard to you which blade to use, for what conditions! As a general rule, the bigger the blade, the more flash, and vibration it emits.

Willow leaf blades!

Willow blades are the narrow blades, these ones give off much more flash than the bigger rounder, bulkier Colorado blade, and are much better for clear water, around thick grass. It's thinner blade design helps it glide through grass much more efficiently than any other blade I've used. The willow blades also give the bait a lager profile than a Colorado blade. Most of them time I use a number 4 - 4 1/2 size willow.

Colorado Blades!

The Colorado blade is a rounded, oval blade, it's short, yet wide. Because of these characteristics of a Colorado blade, it gives off much more vibration than a willow blade, but does not give nearly as much flash as one. The Colorado blade does not go through grass as well as a willow, it tends to get wrapped up better in the grass. Yet goes through wood and rock just fine! It's also a great blade waking! It displaces much, much more water than a willow, thus, giving off a bigger wake! Since it gives off less flash, and more vibration, it’s much more effective in murky water than willow blade.

Turtle shell/Indian blades

The Indian blade, aka the turtle shell blade, is like a willow blade, and a Colorado blade combined. However, I would say it's has the characteristics of a Colorado, more than it does a willow. It has a little more flash than a Colorado blade, and little less vibration than a Colorado blade. It works best in stained to murky water. Works well in thin grass, and goes through rock and wood fine.

Short strikes?

I know allot of people will say that if you getting "hits", but missing fish, that you should put on a trailer hook. Most people think that they're setting the hook to soon, or not getting a good hook set, I for one don't think it's either of them! I've tried trailer hooks, and it helps some, but I get allot of fish hooked on the out side of the mouth, and also, it get snagged easier. When I miss fish, this tells me that the bass are coming up and smacking the spinnerbait with there mouth shut. Now most of the time, I use a number 4 - 4 1/2 size willow blade, this give the bait a big profile, so what I'll do rather than putting on a trailer hook, is add a smaller blade, or change the blades entirely! I'll most of the time but on a small Colorado, or Indian blade, this gives the bait a much smaller profile. And the bass will eat the bait, much more than they did before with the bigger profile willow leaf blade!

Rain or shine, the spinnerbait can do it all!

If it's cloudy, over cast or rainy, the sun will no be much of a factor, so flash is not needed, so using a willow blade will not give you much flash, if any, and this is what the willow has a lot of, thus, a willow blade would not be as good of a choice as a Colorado blade, or Indiana blade. I'll use these two blades when it over cast, regardless of water clarity! The only thing I will change about the blades if it's over cast and in clear water, is the size of them. A number 7 Colorado or Indiana blade will give off more vibration than a number 3 or 4. If the water stained, I'll use a number 5-6, and if it's murky, the bigger ones the better!

What kind of gear do I need?

There's a lot of fish gear out there, it's hard to know what kind of gear to use for any kind of lure, here's what I use for spinnerbaits!

What kind of rod do I need?

A more sensitive rod is not needed, so you don't need to spend 100 or 200 dollars on rod for spinnerbait, a 30-40 dollar Berkly rod is fine for fishing spinnerbaits. My spinnerbait rods are 6 1/2, to 7 feet in length, with a fast tip. The longer 6 1/2 or 7 foot rod will let you cast a lot further than you would with a 6 foot rod. The fast tip and slower action rod will let the bass tack the spinnerbait before you set the hook, if you had a stouter rod, than you would actually take the spinnerbait away from the bass before the bass can get a hold on it.

What reel?

I much prefer bait casting reels over spinning reels, it gives me more control and and power over the spinnerbait than a spinning reel would offer. Gear rations? The gear ration of a reel controls how much power, and the speed you can move the bait. A high gear ration like a 7.1:1 reel has a lot of speed, but not much power, a 6.3:1 reel offers plenty of speed, and a good amount of power. A 5.2:1 reel offers little speed, and a lot of power. Out of all, the best gear ration to use for spinnerbaits in my opinion is a 6.3:1 reel. It give me a good balance of speed and power!

What line should I use?

Spinnerbaits are is a fast moving lure, so the bass never get a really good look at it so you don't need to got with a light line. Since it's a fast moving lure, and you mostly fish it cover, you should use at least 15lb test mono filament. Most of the time I use 17 or 20 lb mono though. Since mono has stretch, it lets the bass get a good grip on the spinnerbait before you set the hook. I'll sometimes use braided lines, but prefer mono because it has stretch. Braid has no stretch, so the you're gonna have to delay the hook set one or seconds, otherwise you'll pull the bait away from the bass. I will use braid though, it's just slightly more of a specialized line than mono. I stay away from fluorocarbon almost entirely! It sinks! And as I said above, spinnerbaits are more effective in the higher parts of the water column. And if you use flouro, than it will be harder to keep that spinnerbait up high. I do use it if I'm slow rolling spinnerbaits on the bottom though.

~ Good luck and good fishin!
Old 05-14-09, 03:27 PM   #7
stevomac59

Wow... that's a lot of info to take in... but thanks! I sure do appreciate it!

stevomac
Old 05-14-09, 03:29 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
Wow... that's a lot of info to take in... but thanks! I sure do appreciate it!

stevomac
No prob Stevo! I also wrought a knol on it!
Old 05-14-09, 05:46 PM   #9
Jim80

I gotta say a trailer hook is just as weedless as the spinnerbait it's self as long as the hook is free swinging . the only time it will hang up is if the spinner would hang up . I have thrown a spinner into some nasty stuff with a trailer hook on there and had no problems .

Jim
Old 05-17-09, 08:13 PM   #10
zooker

spro and boss sure puttin a hurt on it..

the key to spinner bait fishing is #1 depth #2 speed everything else is debatable..

the clearer the water the higher you need to work a blade.. and speed in muddy water the fish would not really see it till they bite it.. in clear water they could see it 10 feet if you slow roll it. so turning on the speed makes it harder for them to see it..

zooker
Old 05-17-09, 08:49 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks for the info fellas. I haven't threw a spinnerbait too much in few years. But I might have to try a little more.
Old 05-22-09, 12:09 PM   #12
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

could ya help me out mention a few good brand names cuz i dont fish spinnerbaits that much either
fishinboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 02:42 PM   #13
BassinID

Strike King makes good spinnerbaits, go with their burner or scorcher. I also like terminator. I fish their t-2 cuz the price is so much lower, but if money isn't the issue then the t-1 is an awesome bait. Lots of people like war-eagle, but I don't care much for them. The same goes for Booyah. A spinnerbait that I currently like alot is the new tungsten bps bait. The only problem with it is the "change a blade system" sucks so I just lock-tite it on. Beyond that, there are quite a few brands, but if you pick over them, some characteristics that I would look for are a head that doesn't taper down when it approaches the skirt, but rather the widest part is where it meets the skirt, and no skirt to head gap. then flex the wire if you can, it should be able to collapse down past the hook with minimal effort and no deformation. Next check the swivels on the blade/blades, which should be of high quality. The other major area to pay attention to is the head finish, some say it doesn't matter, but I really feel that bass in clearish water prefer a well finished head, and it should have a good, hard finish to resist cracking and flaking after use. Its a bummer to spend 5-7 on a bait just to see the paint be gone off the head after bumping it off of a few stumps.
Old 05-22-09, 02:42 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinboi View Post
could ya help me out mention a few good brand names cuz i dont fish spinnerbaits that much either
Strike king, Terminator, heart, and boohya to name a few!
Old 05-22-09, 04:27 PM   #15
Spros NetMan
BassFishin.Com Member

All I can say about a spinnerbait is "BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spros NetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 05:35 PM   #16
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinboi View Post
Trophy spinnerbaits are my favorite. i was going to post a link, but his website was shutdown. the founder, bill garrison hand makes them and they are great. he is from ohio. these baits are the only spinnerbaits that i can catch fish on.
Old 05-22-09, 10:56 PM   #17
fishinboi
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks i picked up a strike king today double willow white 3/8 oz
fishinboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 11:43 PM   #18
BassinID

Good choice, if its the scorcher that is my go to bait, although the bps is right up there, the tungsten head makes a nice small package.
Old 05-25-09, 01:16 AM   #19
keithdog

Thought I'd add my two cents worth. I've always been big on spinnerbaits for two reasons. They flat out catch fish and they are very versatile. I have always believed firmly that any color is perfect for spinnerbaits so long as it was white. White has always produced for me when bass were hitting spinnerbaits, which is most of the time. However, I recently purchased a couple Strikeking KVD spinnerbaits and one of them had the bluegill color skirt with gold blades. I thought I would give it a try and was I suprised. That bluegill color skirt out fished my white skirt two days straight. Yesterday the white skirt was back to being the winner, but I'll be tossing that bluegill colored skirt more often. Usually I'll use gold blades, but sometimes silver is the better option. I let the bass tell me which they want. Actually, I make my own spinnerbaits, and I prefer to have a combo of the gold and silver blades on my baits. If I want to run shallow I'll use a single or double colorado blades. If I want to run deeper, I'll go with the colorado willow combination. The willow works well also as mentioned above as a high speed retrieve rip bait. Also, the willow blade will work more easily through weedcover, but I've not had much trouble with colorado blades in weeds either. In stained water I definately prefer a large single colorado or double colorado blades as they put out more vibration than willow thus allowing the bass to find the bait more easily. Somedays they like that fast retrieve but more often than not, I have my best luck with a medium slow retrieve working the bait through weedbeds slowing down the retrieve when entering an open pocket in the weeds. Even if I am retrieving faster, I'm usually working it slow enough so that the bait tickles the tops of the weeds. As for brands, I have always like Terminator. I also very much like Strikeking, especially the KVD series. I really like that head design on the KVD series as well as the Perfect Skirt with Magic Tails that comes with the KVD spinnerbaits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 10:54 PM   #20
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I'll have to keep tryin mine I guess. I havent really had results yet, but ya'll swear by spinners, so they must be good.
Old 05-29-09, 01:17 AM   #21
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I've been tying it directly to the line with a palomar knot. Is that how you're supposed to do it?
Old 05-29-09, 04:28 AM   #22
BassinID

Yep, that is just fine
Old 05-29-09, 11:13 AM   #23
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
I've been tying it directly to the line with a palomar knot. Is that how you're supposed to do it?
Yup! That's what I do!
Old 05-31-09, 06:53 PM   #24
abu4600

Try a 1/4 or 3/8 oz. tandem spin in char/white and make short casts around any shallow cover you can find (stumps,logs,grass ect...) and use a steady retrieve and run your bait into the cover you are fishing, this will get some arm jarring reaction strikes and always use a trailor hook.Good Luck.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 07:29 PM   #25
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
I'll have to keep tryin mine I guess. I havent really had results yet, but ya'll swear by spinners, so they must be good.
Try throwing it into and right along side of different cover. Along the shady side of a dock, along the length of a laydown tree, along a weed edge,
anywhere a fish could hide and ambush something swimming by.
Most of all keep throwing it, no bait will work if it's not in the water.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.