Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-01-10, 06:16 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Braided line life expectancy.

Reading a new post from Bigbassin about braided line got me to thinkin about life expectancy of the line once you have it spooled on a reel. I started using braided lines 3 years ago and am still using those lines on the reels I spolled up with braid 3 years ago. They still seem to cast and perform just fine, but they are looking a little rough to say the least. I know braided lines will last much longer than mono, but how long is too long?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 06:28 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I too have braid on a few of my reels that is 3 years old. I have reversed it. Have found no problems so far. On the reels where I have lost some line or just from cutting off lures I just add new line. I use Power Pro mostly.
Old 06-01-10, 09:12 PM   #3
WTL

I think after 3 years, I might have changed just to be more confident in it. I have noticed after a while, it loses its strength. The strands will just sorta part. Normally I run low enough on the spool that I go ahead and respool.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:34 PM   #4
bamabassman

well i have just recently took off a few yards of my braid. if oyu look at it really closely, you can see some wear and fraying. i lost a really good fish the other day because of this. so i took off a few yards to get to the good part again.
Old 06-01-10, 09:59 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I normally run low and have to respool before my braid gets worn out, but about 3 years should do it.

Like bob said, reverse it on another reel. Tie the used end to the spool and wind it on. Since it doesn't age like mono, the line will be good as new and last you a couple more years.

BB
Old 06-02-10, 01:22 AM   #6
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just replaced my first spool of braid. It was on there for over a year. I reversed it about a month ago, but then i had an accident and lost it all. I replaced it with the same stuff, but had the same accident a few days later.

I am sure it would have lasted at least another year.
Old 06-02-10, 02:56 AM   #7
islandbass

Mine is also going into season 3. I know of some who hasn't changed out well past five seasons. I suppose as long as there is no wear and tear, I am not going to change it out. It's too pricey to change out like mono!
Old 06-02-10, 03:13 AM   #8
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
It's too pricey to change out like mono!
Even though I have decided I am going to, that is the main reason I am afraid to spool it onto my caster.
Old 06-02-10, 06:16 AM   #9
walkeraviator

I found a reel of my Dads in teh garage the other day when I was going through stuff...an old Abu 4000 reel that looks like it is older than me. It has been back there a minimum of 10 years and was spooled with braid... let me tell you, it was still as tough and hard to break as the new stuff i just spooled with...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 08:58 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I found a reel of my Dads in teh garage the other day when I was going through stuff...an old Abu 4000 reel that looks like it is older than me. It has been back there a minimum of 10 years and was spooled with braid... let me tell you, it was still as tough and hard to break as the new stuff i just spooled with...
Most likely, it's black Dacron line. Dacron was the predecessor of modern braid and it still used in some applications today. I think I'll stick with modern braided line for my casting reels though, lol.

BB
Old 06-02-10, 09:03 AM   #11
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post

I have one sitting in my garage that is probably approaching 60 years old and it still has the old black line on it. I remember trying to cast one of these when I was a kid with a steel rod....gave it up very quickly!!
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 07:58 PM   #12
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
Even though I have decided I am going to, that is the main reason I am afraid to spool it onto my caster.

You're telling me! I remember when I first got my curado, I also bought spiderwire stealth, my first braid. I didn't know anything about baitcasters and so I spooled it up and made my first cast, not knowing or realizing that no brakes were on.

That was the fastest $14 I ever spent on line that went from virgin new to cut it off of the spool bird's nest in less than 5 seconds. I switched to mono for practicing.
Old 06-02-10, 08:23 PM   #13
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
You're telling me! I remember when I first got my curado, I also bought spiderwire stealth, my first braid. I didn't know anything about baitcasters and so I spooled it up and made my first cast, not knowing or realizing that no brakes were on.

That was the fastest $14 I ever spent on line that went from virgin new to cut it off of the spool bird's nest in less than 5 seconds. I switched to mono for practicing.
Yeah, I plan to wait a little while. But I feel pretty confident, and I just found out that my first braid will be free!

BTW, it's Spiderwire Stealth 20LB.
Old 06-04-10, 06:51 AM   #14
BassinNC

I'm on year #2. I think I will respool after this year just for piece of mind.
Old 06-04-10, 08:11 AM   #15
Captmikestarrett

Year 6 for some of my reels. I add some mono as filler after 3 years and reverse the line and it is good for another 3 years.

Two tips.. on spinning rod manually close the bail. on baitcasters use 1/2 mono 1/2 braid.

Capt Mike
Old 06-04-10, 12:51 PM   #16
cassidyta

I only spool 100 yards of braid on my reels with a mono backing. I change it out each year. I don't know that it needed to be changed, but it is a habit that I have stuck to for a while.
Old 06-04-10, 01:58 PM   #17
DaveW731

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I only spool 100 yards of braid on my reels with a mono backing. I change it out each year. I don't know that it needed to be changed, but it is a habit that I have stuck to for a while.
Can I give you my address? I'll pay shipping costs for your old line
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 02:12 PM   #18
cassidyta

Sorry Dave. It still gets used, but usually to sew up tarps and such instead of fishing with it.
Old 06-06-10, 07:42 PM   #19
screwballl

I tend to let mine run for 3-4 years, reverse it, then 3 years later I look it over to see if it needs replaced. I have one rod I inherited that has 10 year old braid and looks just as good as new.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 11:21 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
I just replaced my first spool of braid. It was on there for over a year. I reversed it about a month ago, but then i had an accident and lost it all. I replaced it with the same stuff, but had the same accident a few days later.

I am sure it would have lasted at least another year.
John-I discovered if you use a baitcast pick like they sell at Bass Pro or even a very small crochet needle you can pick out those professional overruns and not have to perform surgery. It just takes a little time to pick it out.
Old 06-07-10, 01:28 PM   #21
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
John-I discovered if you use a baitcast pick like they sell at Bass Pro or even a very small crochet needle you can pick out those professional overruns and not have to perform surgery. It just takes a little time to pick it out.
I just recently spotted Kevin's video "getting rid of backlashes the easy way". It works great on mono (I've tried it), but does it work on fluorocarbon & braid?
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 03:37 PM   #22
flfireman

Im on 4 years or so, I have been reversing my line for some time now. When it's been flipped and flopped I move it to one of my lesser used rods for another year. I also pull off a 4-6 foot section every few months and cut it off, just for peace of mind.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.