Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-01-10, 11:50 PM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Casting reels?

I am wondering something. I just bought a new caster. It's the typical low profile type caster. What I am wondering, other than the look, what is the difference between that and this kind? **LINK**

I really like this reel, and when I go to upgrade I want to get it, or one like it, but I want to make sure it fits the applications I would be using it for. It really is mostly just an ascetics thing at this point. I played around with one at Dick's and loved the feel of it too. I have not used one with line in it though so I can't speak to that. Anyway, it's right around my price point for a new reel.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-10, 11:53 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Oh boy....this is going to be a fun thread.

Let the hatin' begin.
Old 06-02-10, 01:20 AM   #3
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Oh boy....this is going to be a fun thread.

Let the hatin' begin.
Why not tell me your opinion on the subject?
Old 06-02-10, 02:52 AM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That is a baitcast reel for sure, but as opposed to its low profile (lp from this point forward)cousin, it is known as a round reel.

I too love the look of round reels.

Generally, he main differences between lp and rounds:

* Round reels tend to hold more line than LPs. Therefore, they will be better choices when targetting species that can spool reels with less line capacity.

* Round reels also tend to sit a little higher on the rod (just a wee bit) such that the bigger ones might not be comfortable for those with smaller hands.

* Unless souped up or unless they are used in the hands of very experienced anglers, they tend to not fare well with lures weighing less than 1/4 oz.

If you are going to get a round reel, I would highly recommend either the Abu Garcia C3 or C4 before I would consider the model you linked to. My research has discovered quite a few very unhappy folks who bought this reel. The C4 and C3 are the workhorses and to me, the bar for abu rounds over.

As for sizing, this is how it goes for Abu reels... The reels increase in line capacity and size starting with the 4600 being small, the 5600 middle and 6500 even bigger. The first two are ideal for bass fishing. If the reel's model number ends in a 1, such as 4601. 5601, etc., this is abu's way of telling you that the reel has its handle on the left side.

Shimano follows the same suit with models ending in 0 and 1 as Abu Garcia.
Old 06-02-10, 03:05 AM   #5
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
That is a baitcast reel for sure, but as opposed to its low profile (lp from this point forward)cousin, it is known as a round reel.

I too love the look of round reels.

Generally, he main differences between lp and rounds:

* Round reels tend to hold more line than LPs. Therefore, they will be better choices when targetting species that can spool reels with less line capacity.

* Round reels also tend to sit a little higher on the rod (just a wee bit) such that the bigger ones might not be comfortable for those with smaller hands.

* Unless souped up or unless they are used in the hands of very experienced anglers, they tend to not fare well with lures weighing less than 1/4 oz.

If you are going to get a round reel, I would highly recommend either the Abu Garcia C3 or C4 before I would consider the model you linked to. My research has discovered quite a few very unhappy folks who bought this reel. The C4 and C3 are the workhorses and to me, the bar for abu rounds over.

As for sizing, this is how it goes for Abu reels... The reels increase in line capacity and size starting with the 4600 being small, the 5600 middle and 6500 even bigger. The first two are ideal for bass fishing. If the reel's model number ends in a 1, such as 4601. 5601, etc., this is abu's way of telling you that the reel has its handle on the left side.

Shimano follows the same suit with models ending in 0 and 1 as Abu Garcia.
Thanks for the advice!

I shouldn't have said that it was the reel in the link that I wanted, it was actually just for an example. The one I saw was at Dick's, it was an AG so I just posted the first AG RR I saw.
Old 06-02-10, 03:11 AM   #6
BassFeverJohn

Well, it's not on Dick's website, and I didn't get the model #. I will look up the ones you mentioned.

Thanks IB!
Old 06-02-10, 06:12 AM   #7
walkeraviator

I LOVE Round reels. Its what I learned on... My Dad still has Shimanos and Abus from the 60's that he taught me to fish on. The old 4000C (pre 4600) is an absolute dream to fish with. Wit the older ones you just have to get used to reaching across with yoru free thumb to release the reel catch as they dont have thumb bars...

I plan on owning a few C4s in the future... and as for differences, islandbass pretty much nailed it...

I will add that the smaller 4000 series reels are sometimes too narrow in the spool for me... the edges of teh reel eat into my hand when i am casting...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 08:23 AM   #8
zooker

i use one round reel a abu 5500 on my carolina pig..verything else is low profile..even if it is 20 years old.. i beat my gear, using mostly quatums,diawa's,or extremes.however i do have a few others-ardent,penns,pinnacle,pfluger,among others..

these are just the reels that are in my boat-new insurance demanded pics-

i agree with nofearohdear up there.. reel choice is a ford/chevy comparison..
the one reel i REFUSE to own or even use is a sh!tmano..
i have had them break down in the heat of battle, way to much for me to use them..had a spinning reel spool shaft snap OFF took out evey eye on a $200 rod. had a fin snap the center axel on a 8/0w sh!tmano-ok it was a 1200 pound fin but still...

zooker
Old 06-02-10, 08:58 AM   #9
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

While I don't have quite the reel collection as Zooker, of the seven casters I have two are the round style. One is a Gander Mountain I got for almost half off two years ago and the other is a 4600 Abu. I really like both of them. However, one word of caution for you. While most LP reels have some form of adjustable braking system, most of the round reels do not so you have to be sure you properly adjust the line tensioner for the lure you're throwing and be sure you "educate" your thumb to properly control the cast.

Once you've mastered thumbing the reel I think you'll find this type of reel to be very useful in certain applications.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 09:53 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Like every tool, each reel has its own job it was perfectly designed for (except Shimano...all junk...sorry, Garey...couldn't help it ).

Islandbass summed up the physical differences between round and low-profile reels as well as anyone. I don't own any round reels, but far from not liking them, I actually sort of romanticize them as "old-school". I'd like to own a couple, but they'd probably be on my wall, as part of a Monkey Tribute.

One thing I will say...and that is the old timers out there who learned on round reels while I was takin' it easy with spinning gear...they can usually cast low-profile reels with William Tell-like marksmanship. They are used to having to control everything with their thumb, and now with the bells and whistles of the modern low-profile, the experience really pays off.
Old 06-02-10, 10:00 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Like every tool, each reel has its own job it was perfectly designed for (except Shimano...all junk...sorry, Garey...couldn't help it )
Attaboy!

I'd have to agree with IB's recommendation of a C3 or C4. I use a C4 for my musky fishing (taking notes bryce? ). And while I never test the reel's minimum lure range while musky fishing, it is a nice reel. It's smooth and overall a good performer.

However, like IB said, round casters (unless you're going to spend big bucks on a Shimano Calcutta or a Daiwa Pluton) probably won't cast lighter lures very well.

BB
Old 06-02-10, 10:06 AM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I use a C4 for my musky fishing (taking notes bryce? ).
Anthony, I don't know what you're getting at here...I would never buy a reel just because you liked it.

And besides...there is no finer Musky reel than my Toro Winch 61.

Old 06-02-10, 10:15 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

way to get off topic, lol. But you may want to invest in a 6:1 Toro as well.

BB
Old 06-02-10, 11:01 AM   #14
walkeraviator

Quote:
Like every tool, each reel has its own job it was perfectly designed for (except Shimano...all junk...sorry, Garey...couldn't help it ).

Islandbass summed up the physical differences between round and low-profile reels as well as anyone. I don't own any round reels, but far from not liking them, I actually sort of romanticize them as "old-school". I'd like to own a couple, but they'd probably be on my wall, as part of a Monkey Tribute.

One thing I will say...and that is the old timers out there who learned on round reels while I was takin' it easy with spinning gear...they can usually cast low-profile reels with William Tell-like marksmanship. They are used to having to control everything with their thumb, and now with the bells and whistles of the modern low-profile, the experience really pays off.
Dead on... i learned on old roudn reels, and when i hit low pro's with all their funny stuff, i found myself turning the brake to zero and using my thumb to brake... i still do that a lot, it is just how i am used to using a caster...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 09:13 PM   #15
Backwater Charlie

Those kinds of Baitcasters are called "round" baitcasters and are normally used for bigger fish. These bigger reels weigh more and don't palm very well, and won't cast light lures well at all. Round reels are normally tougher and hold more line though.

In my mind, a low-profile reel will fair better for all-around fishing, but I know a few instances (mainly fishing big swimbaits) where a round reel would be best. If I were you I'd stick to low-pros...

Oh and if you decide to get a round reel, take the advice above, don't take a chance on the BCX, I've heard about too many broken, damaged ones from both fighting fish and for other odd reasons. If you're wanting to get a good round reel look at the C3 or C4 Abu's in the 4600-size. The 5600C3/5600C4 is a little too big for most bass fishing, IMO. No need to have 205-yards of 12lb line for Bass...
Old 06-04-10, 09:22 PM   #16
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwater Charlie View Post
Those kinds of Baitcasters are called "round" baitcasters and are normally used for bigger fish. These bigger reels weigh more and don't palm very well, and won't cast light lures well at all. Round reels are normally tougher and hold more line though.

In my mind, a low-profile reel will fair better for all-around fishing, but I know a few instances (mainly fishing big swimbaits) where a round reel would be best. If I were you I'd stick to low-pros...

Oh and if you decide to get a round reel, take the advice above, don't take a chance on the BCX, I've heard about too many broken, damaged ones from both fighting fish and for other odd reasons. If you're wanting to get a good round reel look at the C3 or C4 Abu's in the 4600-size. The 5600C3/5600C4 is a little too big for most bass fishing, IMO. No need to have 205-yards of 12lb line for Bass...
Thanks Charley, and everybody else.

After reading what I have here I will be sticking with the LP reels. I may want a bigger rig some day for throwing big swimbaits, and catfish, so I will look into the C3, C4's then.
Old 06-05-10, 09:21 AM   #17
zooker

dr fever
with swim baits that weigh 2-6 ounces each i would recomend a big round reel..simply because they hold more line.. a abu 5500 comes to mind as does the quantum iron reel..an average cast with these baits will empty a standard low profile reel...i have a bbz1 4.5 ounces and really goes a long way on a cast...

zooker
Old 06-07-10, 04:40 PM   #18
geezer1

BassFeverJohn...You may want to look at the Record 40 for a round reel. I own a pair of them, & consider them a good all around reel. That being said, the best Ambassadeurs made are the old ones (early 60's to mid 70's) IMO. I own several from back when I started tournament fishing in the 60's. I've upgraded most of them, replacing bushings with bearings. You can cast light lures quite a distance with them now. Might be something to consider if you know someone who has some they want to sell. If you elect to go with lo pro's, take a hard look at the Shimano Citica 200E. It's $50 less than the Curado 200E &, with few differences, is basically the same reel. It's one of the best built reels out there right now. Good fishing.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 12:49 AM   #19
Rebbasser

John, in addition to what everyone has already stated one thing that has not been mentioned is simple personal preference. Some prefer round, others like me prefer lp.

I have several round reels but only one is "active", and that is on my swimbait rod. I needed the extra line capacity. Otherwise all my baitcasters are lp.
Old 06-16-10, 04:01 PM   #20
DaveW731

Default NOt much new, just enjoy the topic

I have one round reel for scumfrog and other heavy cover applications when a winch is needed to pull in 4# of fish over blowdowns or through the lily pads. Otherwise, I prefer low profile for the reasons mentioned.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.