Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-09-10, 11:39 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Proper action and power for deep crankin rod?

This question is very specific. If your looking for a crankbait specific rod for larger crankbaits like the DT16's, and DD22's, what would you consider the proper power and action built into the rod? I'm looking at both fiberglass and fiberglass/graphite blend rods made specifically for crankbaits for my large deep divers. I'll be probably going with a 7 foot rod. But I'm not sure if I should go with a MH or M power blank, and whether it should be a M or MF action taper? For large crankbaits, I would think a MH with a M or MF action would work well. But from what I have read, the pros often go with a M power rod even for their larger cranks. But I wonder if it is dependant on the composition of the rod.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 11:53 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a M power, M action rod that I use for cranking. It is a 7' composite. It is the only cranking stick I own. If I threw a lot of deep divers I would definitely step up to a MH, the M just doesn't seem to have enough back bone. I would personally go with M action over a MF unless the rod was going to see traps, in which case I would go MF.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 11:56 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think you're right on track Keith. A 7' MH rod will handle the deep divers fine. I've tossed big cranks on a 7' M M and I think it's too much for the rod. A Mod to Mod-fast action will work fine.

I find the ratings on glass rods interesting. Dobyns has some Fast Action glass crankbait rods. I assume, because of the nature of glass rods, that this isn't the same as a Fast action graphite rod.

BB
Old 06-10-10, 02:49 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Go with a MH for sure! I use Medium power rods for shallower crankbaits (excluding square bills around cover), but for deep diver I will only use a medium heavy rod. True you don't want to rip the hooks out of their mouth but you still need enough backbone to get the hooks to stick them, and with a deep diver you have a lot of bait that you have to move when they crunch down and also a lot of line out. A medium power rod just doesn't have enough guts to it to get fish stuck with a big bodied crankbait, at least in my opinion. A while back I used a medium heavy rod for deep crankbaits and for no good reason I switched to a medium power rod, suddenly I started losing a lot of fish but once I switched back to a medium heavy cranking stick the problem was solved.
Old 06-10-10, 07:01 AM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I think you're right on track Keith. A 7' MH rod will handle the deep divers fine. I've tossed big cranks on a 7' M M and I think it's too much for the rod. A Mod to Mod-fast action will work fine.

I find the ratings on glass rods interesting. Dobyns has some Fast Action glass crankbait rods. I assume, because of the nature of glass rods, that this isn't the same as a Fast action graphite rod.

BB
I've found it interresting how with some rods that are supposed to be crankbait rods, they show a fast action. The BPS crankin Stick are one example of this.
Old 06-10-10, 07:04 AM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Go with a MH for sure! I use Medium power rods for shallower crankbaits (excluding square bills around cover), but for deep diver I will only use a medium heavy rod. True you don't want to rip the hooks out of their mouth but you still need enough backbone to get the hooks to stick them, and with a deep diver you have a lot of bait that you have to move when they crunch down and also a lot of line out. A medium power rod just doesn't have enough guts to it to get fish stuck with a big bodied crankbait, at least in my opinion. A while back I used a medium heavy rod for deep crankbaits and for no good reason I switched to a medium power rod, suddenly I started losing a lot of fish but once I switched back to a medium heavy cranking stick the problem was solved.
Now how about the casting distance? Will the MH rod give your shorter casts than a medium power rod? Or will the moderate action of the rod still provide plenty of distance on the cast?
Old 06-10-10, 10:31 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Like I said, there has to be something different between a fast action glass rod and a fast action graphite rod. Otherwise, they wouldn't make fast action glass cranking sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Now how about the casting distance? Will the MH rod give your shorter casts than a medium power rod? Or will the moderate action of the rod still provide plenty of distance on the cast?
Honestly, I don't think casting distance is anything to worry about. Crankbaits are one of the most aerodynamic lures. Add in the weight of those big deep divers and you can chuck one quite a ways, even on a broomstick.

BB
Old 06-10-10, 10:53 AM   #8
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Like I said, there has to be something different between a fast action glass rod and a fast action graphite rod. Otherwise, they wouldn't make fast action glass cranking sticks.

Honestly, I don't think casting distance is anything to worry about. Crankbaits are one of the most aerodynamic lures. Add in the weight of those big deep divers and you can chuck one quite a ways, even on a broomstick.

BB
Are the Dobyns rods composite or full glass?
Glass will always provide a softer tip then graphite which alot of people prefer in cranking...Ive never used one so I cant compare or make an opinion...I think my 6'6'' MH/Mod rod is plenty soft.
But the casting with a moderate action rod should be fine...I use mine for all sizes and weights with no problems.
Old 06-10-10, 11:50 AM   #9
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

keithdog...You might want to take a look at the Falcon Cara Deep Runner. 7'3", MH action, MS flex. I like it.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 11:50 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Like Waffle, I would recommend either a 6'6" MH, or 7' M. The shorter length on the MH will put less torque on your wrist. Either way, I would not go for a fast action...there is just no need for it. Let the treble hooks do their job.
Old 06-10-10, 07:14 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Like Waffle, I would recommend either a 6'6" MH, or 7' M. The shorter length on the MH will put less torque on your wrist. Either way, I would not go for a fast action...there is just no need for it. Let the treble hooks do their job.
Why would you prefer a M power for the 7' rod, but a MH for the shorter 6 1/2' rod?
Old 06-10-10, 08:35 PM   #12
zooker

you want a LONG stick7'-7'6''.. in a limp wristed limber blank or glass.. mh to start. never go with a rod that is medium when throwing big baits like the dt-16 at 5/8 of an once. it will over load the stick and possabily snap it...plus you wont be able to sling it very far...

zooker
Old 06-10-10, 09:56 PM   #13
keithdog

Ahhh, thanks for the info Zooker. Good info from the crankbait guru himself. You ever look at the Skeet Reese rods. I've heard good things about them but they are so danged ugly! But if they work, I could get used to it. I guess my black David Frittz reel would look pretty good on one of those. lol Actually, I'm giving a good look at the Shimano Compre crankbait rods with the TC4 blank in 7' MH-MF. But also looking at the American Rodsmith David Frittz crankbait rod, and the Quantum KVD Tour crankbait rods. Although the KVD rods are a bit more than I want to spend. The Shimano Compre is not available locally even at our BPS, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain, so I'd have to order it without having held one which is always risky. But so far the Shimano rods I have now have served me well.

Last edited by keithdog; 06-10-10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 10:28 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Are the Dobyns rods composite or full glass?
Glass will always provide a softer tip then graphite which alot of people prefer in cranking...Ive never used one so I cant compare or make an opinion...I think my 6'6'' MH/Mod rod is plenty soft.
But the casting with a moderate action rod should be fine...I use mine for all sizes and weights with no problems.
I believe Dobyns sell Glass CB rods and graphite ones, but as far as I know, no composite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
keithdog...You might want to take a look at the Falcon Cara Deep Runner. 7'3", MH action, MS flex. I like it.
This rod got a great review during TT's "Year of the Crank". Keith, you should check out some of those reviews if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Ahhh, thanks for the info Zooker. Good info from the crankbait guru himself. You ever look at the Skeet Reese rods. I've heard good things about them but they are so danged ugly! But if they work, I could get used to it. I guess my black David Frittz reel would look pretty good on one of those. lol Actually, I'm giving a good look at the Shimano Compre crankbait rods with the TC4 blank in 7' MH-MF. But also looking at the American Rodsmith David Frittz crankbait rod, and the Quantum KVD Tour crankbait rods. Although the KVD rods are a bit more than I want to spend. The Shimano Compre is not available locally even at our BPS, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain, so I'd have to order it without having held one which is always risky. But so far the Shimano rods I have now have served me well.
I've looked at the Skeet rods, and the glass rods are HUGE. Also, I would only buy one in person. A couple of them I checked out at BPS had guides that weren't straight at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to order a Shimano rod without first seeing it. Order it from a place with great customer service like TW (and free shipping over $50). TW will make sure you're happy with your purchase and work to fix anything that isn't right.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I'd check out the Dobyns crankbait rods. I know I haven't really fished my Dobyns enough to give it a good recommendation, but with it's reputations, I'm not going to hesitate to recommend them, I love mine so far. The Champion 705CB GLASS got a good review on TT, and should make a great deep crankbait rod. It is rated as a Fast action, but I do believe they have a 705CBMF Glass with a MF action. The one thing I've heard about their CB GLASS rods are that they fish like glass, but don't feel like glass rods. At $200, this may be out of budget. but if it isn't, I'd consider it.

BB
Old 06-10-10, 11:06 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
Keith, I use the same rod. Paired with a David Fritts 4.7:1 reel throwing those big bruisers are no problem. It is a dedicated deep cranking rod.

Geezer, I like your taste in rods! Falcons all the way!
Old 06-10-10, 11:39 PM   #16
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Keith, I use the same rod. Paired with a David Fritts 4.7:1 reel throwing those big bruisers are no problem. It is a dedicated deep cranking rod.

Geezer, I like your taste in rods! Falcons all the way!
I checked it out, The Falcon T7 rod. It looks like a good one, but $200.00 is more than I should really spend on a rod right now. Maybe I should hold a fund raiser. Speghetti dinners for a Falcon!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.