Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 12-21-13, 05:46 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default My new toy.

Not a toy but a new Smith Wesson 9mm M&P Shield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gun.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	8953  
Old 12-21-13, 08:42 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Merry Christmas to you! That one should tuck away nicely in a pocket and S&W is a fine firearm.

Forgot to suggest you check out Hornady Critical Defense rounds. They are not cheap, so don't use too many for practice. They are the same as their Zombie loads (temp. suspended production) and slightly cheaper. I have the Critical Defense and/or Zombie rounds for my 9mm, .45 long colt (Judge) and .45 ACP. I think they are about the best round you can put through a barrel when you want something stopped.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-22-13 at 12:48 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-13, 10:23 PM   #3
joedog

Great looking piece.

That Santa is a great man isn't he?
Old 12-22-13, 08:20 AM   #4
bcklash

That's sweet!!!
Old 12-22-13, 10:53 AM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Merry Christmas to you! That one should tuck away nicely in a pocket and S&W is a fine firearm.

Forgot to suggest you check out Hornady Critical Defense rounds. They are not cheap, so don't use too many for practice. They are the same as their Zombie loads (temp. suspended production) and slightly cheaper. I have the Critical Defense and/or Zombie rounds for my 9mm, .45 long colt (Judge) and .45 ACP. I think they are about the best round you can put through a barrel when you want something stopped.
I'm looking the Critical Defense rounds, but also Speer's Gold Dot Short Barrel made specifically for short barreled guns, and Federal HST rounds.
It DOES pack nicely, and slips into my inner chest pocket of my leather coat and is not even noticeable to anyone talking to me. Worn at 4 oclock is comfy and very concealable.
Old 12-22-13, 01:46 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Congrats on the new gun buddy. I currently am carrying an XD .40S&W Sub Compact but the Shield has been interesting me for a while. My next handgun will probably be a Glock 29 because I have always wanted a 10mm, it's just a bad *** round. Anyways, on down the road I will probably be in the market for a Shield in 9mm because of how concealable they are and it would probably take the place of my .380 for those times when I just can't conceal my .40, which is a rare occasion. For home defense ammo you might want to look into Glaser. I haven't got my hands on any of it yet but the NRA instructor that taught my concealed carry class was singing praises about it. He said it will go through one layer of sheetrock but not two, making it less likely for you to hit an innocent something or someone in the next room over. "Let me warn you though, if you shoot someone with this ammo it will damn near cut them in half". Anyways congrats on the new toy!
Old 12-22-13, 02:32 PM   #7
Jrob78

I think S&W hit a home run with the Shield. I hear more people talking about the Shield than any other CC gun right now. Be sure and let us know how you like it once you get to put a few hundred rounds through her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Congrats on the new gun buddy. I currently am carrying an XD .40S&W Sub Compact but the Shield has been interesting me for a while. My next handgun will probably be a Glock 29 because I have always wanted a 10mm, it's just a bad *** round. Anyways, on down the road I will probably be in the market for a Shield in 9mm because of how concealable they are and it would probably take the place of my .380 for those times when I just can't conceal my .40, which is a rare occasion. For home defense ammo you might want to look into Glaser. I haven't got my hands on any of it yet but the NRA instructor that taught my concealed carry class was singing praises about it. He said it will go through one layer of sheetrock but not two, making it less likely for you to hit an innocent something or someone in the next room over. "Let me warn you though, if you shoot someone with this ammo it will damn near cut them in half". Anyways congrats on the new toy!
That's what I'm talking about! I'm a big fan of the little flame throwers. I doubt the 29 would be much fun to put a ton of rounds through in one sitting but I would sure love to try
Old 12-22-13, 03:29 PM   #8
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Nice pistol. Hard to beat a Smith.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13, 04:28 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I think S&W hit a home run with the Shield. I hear more people talking about the Shield than any other CC gun right now. Be sure and let us know how you like it once you get to put a few hundred rounds through her.

That's what I'm talking about! I'm a big fan of the little flame throwers. I doubt the 29 would be much fun to put a ton of rounds through in one sitting but I would sure love to try
I saw Uncle Ted get charged by a cape buffalo and drop him in his tracks with one well placed 10mm round.........good enough for me lol.
Old 12-23-13, 08:37 AM   #10
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Like it a lot!
Old 12-23-13, 10:12 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Awesome, Keith!!!!
For the first time ever, I've been seriously thinkin bout a handgun, the last few months.

Between the worsening economy, the pending zombie apocolypse (is it bad that I look forward to it?), and the fact that my gf has one.......I feel totally unprotected ; )
Old 01-03-14, 08:28 PM   #12
keithdog

Tonight, I was able to get to the range to try out the new gun, and I couldn't be happier. It handled like a dream. I put 160 rounds through it without any issues of any kind. Not one jam, or failure of any kind. I was shooting Federal 115 grain FMJ and also 10 rounds of the self defense load I carry. Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P Short Barrel Hollow Points.
While there was a noticeable increase in kick with the Gold Dots as would be expected, it was minimal. The gun was comfortable to hold and easy to control. In fact, I shot it just as well one handed as I did using both hands to control the gun. I feel that says a lot about this gun.
I shot the gun at three distances. The first box of ammo was fired at 18 feet. That is the target I posted here. For some reason, the picture downloaded sideways. As you can see, it grouped pretty well for the first time using it. This target was used with both previously mentioned bullets. The second box was shot at 21 foot, and the third at 30 foot. There was a bit wider spacing at 30 foot, but not by much. The results were so close between the 3 distances, I only included the target for the first box I shot. If your looking for or considering buying a sub compact 9mm for carry, I would highly recommend this gun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first box ammo Shield.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	8964  
Old 01-03-14, 10:50 PM   #13
bassboogieman

Note to self: do not pizz off the K-dog...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 11:46 PM   #14
bassinbob

That's ol bullseye K-dog. I am a lousy shot with a pistol.
Old 01-05-14, 01:56 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nice shooting Keith! And congrats on the new gun.

I love my Shield 9mm. I've got about 250 rounds through mine.

It handles recoil surprisingly well for such a small gun. I've got a box of Speer Gold Dots, but haven't had a chance to shoot any of them yet though.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.