Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-10, 06:40 PM   #26
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
bcklash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Elliston, Va.
Posts: 4,372
Default

When Sportsman warehouse went closed, I loaded up on more bags of plastics, crankbaits, scents, hooks, weights and other things than I needed. So yea I need a man cave like that. I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I just decided I'm going to build me one.
__________________
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. keep us free:
bcklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 07:32 PM   #27
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
carolina-rig-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Webb City, MO
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Sure, I just got a boat, but considering the age difference, I expect I was fishin before you were born...but that's not the point. The real point is that the only bait that counts is the one that just came out of the water with the big ole fish on the end of it. A large inventory of extry baits in the basement or the garage is just a waste of working capitol.

Some of you fellas may need to justify (or rationalize) hoarding all these baits cause the monkey made you do it, not because it's logical.
Lets analyze this in parallel... If you fished with live bait, would you open a bait shop? How many rods, reels and boats do you have? At some point, the excess represents diminishing returns.

Another for instance...the last new vehicle I bought, I got into auto detailing and found my way to autopia.org - a site for amateur and professional detailers (autos, bikes, boats, RV's). There was a 'bragging' thread about [detailing] supplies. Some guys had shelves and shelves full of cleaners, compounds, polishes, waxes/polymers, pads, Micro Fiber towels - hundreds, no thousands of dollars worth of supplies to keep their rides clean and polished.

Same thing - different obsession. They didn't really need all those products, but like the bait monkey, they couldn't resist buying them.

Look, if you got the extra money so that you're not robbing Peter to pay Paul (Paul the bait monkey), go ahead and indulge...might better buy baits than drink too much beer! But ask yerself....do I really NEED 12 bags of plastic worms in the garage or will 4-6 be enough till I can get to the store to buy more?

You might have been fishing since before I was born but believe me that doesn't equate into you knowing more about fishing or taking it more serious than anyone else.

I think that when you find a system that works for you then you should at least stick with it and try to improve it where you can. All I was saying when I said that about you buying a boat is there will come a time when you go from having a tackle box that you carry your baits and stuff in, to filling up all the storage compartments in your boat with tackle. In my case I may fish a tournament this weekend and have one hell of a crankbait bite going on, so I will take what I know I can do without out of the boat and pack as many crankbaits/replacement hooks as I can in the boat. This means that I have to put the tackle I took out of the boat somewhere so I guess instead of just making a huge pile on the floor it just makes more sense to keep it organized and easy to put my hands on when I need to put it in the boat in something elses place. There is no way that I need to carry all my tackle with me on the boat, so I take what I know I will need and try to guess what I might need and take some of those items too. A great example of a bait that I hardly ever take with me is a Wiggle Wart. I have a ton of them but once the water gets warm I put them away until the conditions are right for them again, so why take up space in my boat with something that I know I won't be using.

I find it funny that you are that concerned with where other people are spending their money. Yeah I buy a lot of tackle, but I work hard to provide for my family and as long as my wife and son aren't doing without I sure don't see where it's any of your business.
__________________
You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 09:17 PM   #28
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

Let's not miss the point. To each his own. I'm not gonna rain on this guy's parade.

We have pro fishermen who have crates full of lures of all types, because the lures really represent a very small fraction of their operating expenses, when you compare it to boat and hauler upkeep, fuel, and lodging. These guys don't really have time to go to Wal-Mart and hope they have the particular lure they need in stock. Not having the right lure can be far more expensive than having a lot of unused ones sitting around. It's mostly a business to them. They have a passion for fishing, but they have a bottom line to meet.

Then we have the enthusiast, who likes to have a lot of tackle, and usually high-end stuff. He's no more ridiculous than guys who keep hotrods but never drag race, or women who have 100 pairs of shoes in their closet. They are very serious about their hobby, but they're not trying to, nor do they need to turn a profit. Having all of these things in their collection makes them happy. Organizing them is part of the hobby. I fall pretty much into this group, though I am not quite as far blown as this guy. The enthusiast is more often than not someone who always loved fishing, but had to make due with very inferior tackle most of their life and can now enjoy their success and their passion.

Totally ridiculous worm wall, yet strangely fantastic at the same time!!!
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 11:19 PM   #29
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Wishing2BFishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Morgantown, Pa
Posts: 1,254
Default

And no one mentioned the fact that often times, lures/reels/rods are discontinued. When this happens, and you have found a product that you really like, you wish you had bought more.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 12:27 AM   #30
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
MallenManson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beulah, Michigan
Posts: 6,431
Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
And no one mentioned the fact that often times, lures/reels/rods are discontinued. When this happens, and you have found a product that you really like, you wish you had bought more.


Great point!
__________________
Bass fear me.
Women pepperspray me.....
MallenManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 12:57 AM   #31
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Abbeysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central NY - Finger Lakes
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
You might have been fishing since before I was born but believe me that doesn't equate into you knowing more about fishing or taking it more serious than anyone else.
I didn't even imply that - I was just pointing at the evidence of a bait monkey in control of a fisherman. All those lures caught was a fisherman. I fish for the enjoyment of the catch, not for food or money. Maybe that makes me less serious than some, but I can be objective enough to see that lots and lots of baits on a basement wall isn't gonna catch more fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I think that when you find a system that works for you then you should at least stick with it and try to improve it where you can. All I was saying when I said that about you buying a boat is there will come a time when you go from having a tackle box that you carry your baits and stuff in, to filling up all the storage compartments in your boat with tackle.
I'll try to resist the urge to be "tackle poor" and have lots of baits in the boat, garage, basement and yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I find it funny that you are that concerned with where other people are spending their money. Yeah I buy a lot of tackle, but I work hard to provide for my family and as long as my wife and son aren't doing without I sure don't see where it's any of your business.
Were you not paying attention when I wrote...
"Look, if you got the extra money so that you're not robbing Peter to pay Paul (Paul the bait monkey), go ahead and indulge...might better buy baits than drink too much beer! But ask yerself....do I really NEED 12 bags of plastic worms in the garage or will 4-6 be enough till I can get to the store to buy more?"
I don't care how you spend your money, but hope you do.
If you really think that dozens of expensive rods 'n reels and thousands of baits will help you catch more fish, you have money to burn and/or need the fish to survive, then go fer it.

Again, I was just pointing at a wall of baits and acknowledging the objective evidence of the control of the bait monkey and the reality that 'baits on da wall", "baits on da wall", "look at all dem baits on da wall"..."no fish in da cellerl", "no fish in da celler"...lol

Lighten up and don't be so defensive about "da baits on da wall"
__________________
Fish now, work later
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 01:16 PM   #32
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
Justin2729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annville, Kentucky
Posts: 342
Default

Nice, i was just thinking today on how i could make a rod rack and not have to buy one problem solved! lol
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 02:10 PM   #33
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
carolina-rig-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Webb City, MO
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
I didn't even imply that - I was just pointing at the evidence of a bait monkey in control of a fisherman. All those lures caught was a fisherman. I fish for the enjoyment of the catch, not for food or money. Maybe that makes me less serious than some, but I can be objective enough to see that lots and lots of baits on a basement wall isn't gonna catch more fish.


I'll try to resist the urge to be "tackle poor" and have lots of baits in the boat, garage, basement and yard.

Were you not paying attention when I wrote...
"Look, if you got the extra money so that you're not robbing Peter to pay Paul (Paul the bait monkey), go ahead and indulge...might better buy baits than drink too much beer! But ask yerself....do I really NEED 12 bags of plastic worms in the garage or will 4-6 be enough till I can get to the store to buy more?"
I don't care how you spend your money, but hope you do.
If you really think that dozens of expensive rods 'n reels and thousands of baits will help you catch more fish, you have money to burn and/or need the fish to survive, then go fer it.

Again, I was just pointing at a wall of baits and acknowledging the objective evidence of the control of the bait monkey and the reality that 'baits on da wall", "baits on da wall", "look at all dem baits on da wall"..."no fish in da cellerl", "no fish in da celler"...lol

Lighten up and don't be so defensive about "da baits on da wall"
Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on the need for having a stockpile of tackle. I can see a ton of reasons to have such a situation and you can see a ton of reasons why it is pointless, so be it. I really didn't mean to upset you with anything I said I was just trying to make a point that just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it is stupid and unneeded to everybody. I really don't consider it a matter of being "tackle Poor" it is an organizational tool that is very useful to someone who tries to pack as light as possible but needs a wide variety of tackle for different situations. Anyways like Nofear said to each their own and I sure didn't mean to upset you with my opinion.
__________________
You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 03:26 PM   #34
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
rodnreel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jamestown, OH
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
....do I really NEED 12 bags of plastic worms in the garage or will 4-6 be enough till I can get to the store to buy more?

4-6 bags will be plenty until you run out and have to buy 4-6 more. Why not save the gas money and buy 8-12 bags of worms in 1 trip? Seems pretty logical to me If that guy bought all those plastics at once, then he will probably make 1 trip to your 10....just a different means to the same end.
__________________
"If you become a jack of all bass fishing trades but a master of none, you're setting yourself up for mediocrity." - Denny Brauer

Last edited by rodnreel; 01-29-10 at 03:33 PM.
rodnreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 03:52 PM   #35
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Abbeysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central NY - Finger Lakes
Posts: 1,307
Default

C'mon - look at that wall objectively - he's got like over 12,000 baits on that wall.
Be honest - how long would it take you to go through that many baits? Oh, and remember, that's just his plastic collection (there's 3 other walls in that cellar for top water, cranks and whatever!)
__________________
Fish now, work later
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 04:35 PM   #36
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
MississippiBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ridgeland MS
Posts: 3,923
Default

First off, get your math right...that wall is roughly 17 bags tall by 12 bags long. I say "roughly" because it's not symmetrical, there are some columns and rows with less, some with more, but 17 x 12 is close. That's 202 bags, and figuring 10 lures per bag, that's 2020 lures total. And yes, some are bigger bags, so maybe there's 20 or 30 in a few of them. So on the high side, there might be 2200-2300 lures total. But I digress...

One tackle box, 10 Ziploc bags of plastics, and 3-4 reels may be enough for you, but some people fish more than you do, so they need a bigger supply of lures, rods, reels, line, etc.

Never mind. I see that logical explanations for why someone might have a couple thousand lures have no affect on your opinion. I'm throwing in the towel on this one.
__________________
I smell smoke, and I hear sirens. Do you think that's a problem?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 06:18 PM   #37
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,134
Default

It's an addiction, and I'm also addicted. My tackle grows every year it's to the point now to where I really dont know what all I have. Hard baits are spread out over 5 or 6 tackleboxes with just as many plano boxes filled, and my plastics look like the isle at your local tackle store blew up and landed in my boat, plastic bags, dry boxes, sheds etc.

yet this did not stop me from making an order yesterday, because well I need more stuff
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 06:32 PM   #38
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
BassBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 430
Default

Cool, like the idea! Gonna try that in my basement. My ol lady will be glad if I do that cause she can't stand seeing all the rods stacked up behind her closest.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 06:46 PM   #39
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
bamabassman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: cedar bluff, alabama
Posts: 15,292
Default

I know someone who has a wall jsut like this in his garage in camden, al. he fishes tournies so he has bulk orders of plastics and hardbaits. All 3 walls are covered like the this. If this is your main hobby, more power to ya pal. If this is what you love, more power to ya. Me? I can't afford to do this, good thing too. Cause if i could.......i would as well.
__________________
so many lures, so little time.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 12:43 AM   #40
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
carolina-rig-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Webb City, MO
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Never mind. I see that logical explanations for why someone might have a couple thousand lures have no affect on your opinion. I'm throwing in the towel on this one.
Same here. He is going to be right no matter what. I guess I should sell 90% of my tackle and just carry one box that has a few crankbaits, a few bags of softplastics, and a spinnerbait or two and call it good because there is no need for anymore tackle than that.
__________________
You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 12:52 AM   #41
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
MississippiBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ridgeland MS
Posts: 3,923
Default

Just be sure to paint that one box a transparent green.....
__________________
I smell smoke, and I hear sirens. Do you think that's a problem?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 01:02 AM   #42
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Just be sure to paint that one box a transparent green.....
When you say "transparent green," do you mean dark green or light green?
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 01:13 AM   #43
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Just be sure to paint that one box a transparent green.....
And sell your bassboat for a jetski
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 03:56 AM   #44
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
carolina-rig-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Webb City, MO
Posts: 6,387
Default

LOL, I won't be painting it green. I plan on painting in paper bag brown.
__________________
You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 04:15 AM   #45
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
bcklash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Elliston, Va.
Posts: 4,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
lol, i won't be painting it green. I plan on painting in paper bag brown.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. keep us free:
bcklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:32 PM   #46
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Abbeysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central NY - Finger Lakes
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
It's an addiction, and I'm also addicted. My tackle grows every year it's to the point now to where I really dont know what all I have.
Glad to see some objective honesty!
Fact is that a passion/obsession can lead us to acquire more tackle than we could possibly use in the illusion that more, better tackle catches more fish.
Eventually we can have so many baits that will ever see any water...and baits that never see water will never catch any fish - but we still buy more cause we think we need it.
But like I said, if you got the money to spare you can grow the collection!
__________________
Fish now, work later
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:42 PM   #47
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Glad to see some objective honesty!
Fact is that a passion/obsession can lead us to acquire more tackle than we could possibly use in the illusion that more, better tackle catches more fish.
Eventually we can have so many baits that will ever see any water...and baits that never see water will never catch any fish - but we still buy more cause we think we need it.
But like I said, if you got the money to spare you can grow the collection!

Abbey...you're still missing the point. Most of the tackle hoarders aren't under the impression they "need" it. The just LIKE it. Nothing more complicated than that. It's like baseball cards for big boys.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 06:52 PM   #48
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
carolina-rig-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Webb City, MO
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Glad to see some objective honesty!
Fact is that a passion/obsession can lead us to acquire more tackle than we could possibly use in the illusion that more, better tackle catches more fish.
Eventually we can have so many baits that will ever see any water...and baits that never see water will never catch any fish - but we still buy more cause we think we need it.
But like I said, if you got the money to spare you can grow the collection!
I promised myself I was done with this pointless arguement because you are just going to be right no matter what, but here is my last attempt at making my point:

So how many of a certain lure in a certain color do you keep? I keep at least 5 of every crankbait I carry in every color I use. I also keep spares in my garage so when I lose a few I can replace them that night because I may be in a situation where I am pre-fishing for a tournament and not have time to run to Bass Pro or wait for an order to get to my house before the tournament. I do this with everything I use not just crankbaits because when you are fishing for money there is no excuse in losing your last of any bait because it might cost you a lot of money at the weigh-in. So because a bait is on a wall in my garage today doesn't mean it won't be in the mouth of a fish next week, but I may not have the time to go buy it when I need it so why not keep it on hand.
__________________
You only live once. But if you do it right, once is enough.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 01:20 AM   #49
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Abbeysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central NY - Finger Lakes
Posts: 1,307
Default

Well, not to flog a dead horse, there are exceptions to every rule carolina. In some cases, like the professional angler, a vast array of 'tools' is justified if not required. I'm sure Jimmy Houston, Bill Dance, Hank Parker.... all have thousands of baits, many bestowed upon them by the manufacturers hoping for a mention in a show or a column. Heck, they prolly got more jigs alone than we could shake a stick at.
You too may justify a larger inventory than some, but surely you see the point I was making about all the fellas (wall or not) that have the whispering monkey making them buy more and more baits. Collectors? ....well maybe .... or maybe just victims of the passion. I've felt the fever myself and sometimes forced myself to ask "do I really need that"...and then there's the trip to BPS and I (like so many), with eyes as big as saucers, feel like a kid in a candy shop!

__________________
Fish now, work later

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 02-03-10 at 01:25 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2013 BassFishin.Com LLC