Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-13, 04:32 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Sunday Report

Hey guys, it's been a really busy summer for me. I haven't even had time to post. Between working and now I'm back in school and working. We haven't had much time to get out fishing, and by that I mean no time at all...

So my dad and I decided to take last Sunday off and head up to the lake. So we headed to the mudhole of a lake, launched to a bit a of a breeze, and got to fishing. The pad fields that usually dominate the shallow areas of the lake were almost non-existent. Water was at 63* and the clearest we've ever seen the lake, probably close to 3' visibility.

I started off fishing one of my swim jigs which I had done good on earlier in the summer. My dad started with a spinnerbait. Maybe an hour in to the morning, my dad catches a Bama sized bass.

I hooked up with a decent fish on a spinnerbait, but lost it at the boat... A bit later, I had a tiny fish take a swipe at my spinnerbait at the side of the boat and get hooked. I pulled it out of the water and to my surprise it was a yellow perch, which I didn't know they had in this lake. It was also a surprise because perch usually like deeper water, not 4' deep weedy water.

Around noon I hooked up with another nice bass, bigger than the one I lost, and landed it.

That was the best bass for the day, and my last fish for the day.

My dad hooked a few more bass including a chunky 2lb'er and another Bama Bass. We continued fishing for a while when my dad had a hard hit on his spinnerbait. He set the hook and there was no give. The fight was on and as the fish came to the surface, we saw it was a musky. I dropped my rod and grabbed the lip grips. My dad was using 30lb braid, which was good for the tensile strength, but it wouldn't stand a chance if it met the Musky's razor sharp teeth.

He got the fish to the side of the boat a couple time, but it would turn and run when I tried to lip it. I finally got the lip grips on him and he went berserk. The fish about ripped the lip grips out of hand thrashing around at the side of the boat. I pulled it in, we snapped a quick pic and revived it at the side of the boat for a few minutes or so before it finally slowly swam off.

This was his first musky landed since we started musky fishing at this lake probably 4 or 5 years ago. (I've only gotten two). I told him I'd post this Sunday evening, but never got around to it. So I'm taking a break from studying to share my dad's nice catch. Oh, and it went about ~3' and 12lbs on the lip grip scale.

We fished the rest of the day without a hit though, lol. And as a reminder: my bass, my dad's biggest bass of the day, and his musky were all hooked on the trailer hooks of the spinnerbaits. So go put a trailer hook on!

BB
Old 10-16-13, 09:46 PM   #2
Bassboss

Glad you got out on the water BB! I haven't been fishing since August actually, most of my free time is spent hunting now.

Congrats to your dad on the muskie!
Old 10-24-13, 12:14 AM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds like a good trip!
Old 10-24-13, 10:08 AM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks for the share Anthony!

First pic seems like it would make a great Musky Trailer!
Old 10-26-13, 09:07 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Glad you had a nice trip!!!!!!
Old 10-27-13, 05:25 PM   #6
keithdog

Glad to see you back here Anthony! And congrats on the fishing, especially your dads musky. Is that an injury on the side of the musky by the lower fin? Looks almost like a lamprey bite. I here ya about almost loosing the lipgrip. That DID happen to me two years ago when I caught that big pike. He did the exact same thing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.