Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 04-29-14, 06:14 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default first Potomac trip of the season

Headed down to the river for a few days (Wed - Fri). No boat so I will be limited to Mattawoman Cr in the kayak which isn't a bad thing as it's probably the best fishing location on the river. Weather does not look good (Wed) but I can fish in the rain and it is supposed to clear up Thurs. Hoping for some snakehead for the pan and some decent bass fishing. Heavy rain may squash that but it's the annual BBC gathering (8th year) and a lot of the guys I haven't seen for a couple years because I skipped it last year in favor of Dale Hollow. Situation is reversed this year and if nothing else we will eat (and drink) good.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:45 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett

Just came from the river and you are in for 6 feet of extra water.. I find that many feeder creeks that still run clear will produce. Luckily the top of Horsemans Creek will be perfect and the creek out of Bullet Neck Point will be clear. The fishing pier and the ramp most likely will be under water.
If you have a military ID go to Stump Neck and put in at Magazine AA on the Chixamuxen Creek.

Capt Mike
Old 04-30-14, 09:38 PM   #3
3dkicker

Club is fishing on the river tomorrow morning. TD may have to cancel if it's up 6 ft. We've got high tide at 9am tomorrow. Horsemans Creek and Bullet Neck Pt are both in Mattawomen??? If we fish we need to find some clean water or else it'll be a long day.
Old 04-30-14, 10:22 PM   #4
bassboogieman

There was a LOT of water today. We fished about 4 hours through several down pours. Thunder storms rolled in just before 3 PM and we got off the water. Torrential rain hit as we left Slavins. Mattawoman is high, muddy and cold. Tomorrow showers & thunder storms predicted, another wet day coming. Hope Fri is better but the fishing probably won't improve much. Both of us managed two bass each today, big fish only 17".
Old 04-30-14, 11:25 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Yes both in Mattowomen and both fed by swamps so less mud. Capt Dave fishes Sunday with clients but it will be better by then. Two days after a rain event it starts clearing.
Capt Mike
Old 05-01-14, 10:19 PM   #6
lilmule

Kinda tuff to fish the pads when they are 5ft under.
But same rain came here first,ky lake at 2ft over pool running 120,000 cfs,lake temp dropped 6 deg now 64.Spawn is normally over about now and just started.
Nice to have some time out,and to catch fish let alone yak about it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-14, 08:36 AM   #7
Captmikestarrett

All the feeder creeks on the Potomac have returned to normal this morning. But the main river is a mess. I would say by Monday most of the flotsam will be jetsam. If we get a west or east wind.

Capt Mike
Old 05-02-14, 09:53 PM   #8
bassboogieman

We caught some today, nothing big my largest today was as only 16.5". I found them very tight on wood, nothing willing to hit a moving bait. Saw dozens of snakeheads yesterday but none would take a bait. I had two break the surface right beside my kayak that were very big, I would bet they were 10 - 12#, they are getting large. They were way back in the creek, today we fished the opposite direction, towards Smallwood.
Old 05-07-14, 05:49 PM   #9
3dkicker

Sounds like you caught a few and it wasn't a wasted trip. Very different presentation vs what we found on Thursday. All of my fish were on moving baits and relating to pads or new emerging reeds/spatterdock. We didn't make it into Mattawomen but talked about it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.