Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-11, 11:47 AM   #1
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default favorite baitcaster??

What is your favorite baitcasting reels? Your go to reel. What you dont like about, what you love about it. Please list brand and model .
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 01:28 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My favorite reel is the Revo Sx. I have been using them for a long time now and have yet to have a problem, and that is saying something because I don't take care of my reels like I should. I am a use it till it breaks kind of guy, then I send it off to get fixed. However I will start having Pro Reel clean and service my reels yearly. The only thing I don't like is how tempermental the new ones are when casting in the wind with lighter baits. I have a ton of the old style and never have any problems with them but there is something about this new style because all of the new ones I have are a little trickier to cast in the wind with. But they are still very good reels for a skilled caster and they are super smooth. I also love the strong drag, 19lbs worth if I remember right.

I will say that I am also a big fan of the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier reels as well. I have used several of the silver ones and my wife ownes several of the Tournament Series ones and they all are super smooth and great casters.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 02:28 PM   #3
boloson

I was very close to buying that reel after reading great reviews on it. Is the newer sx the all black with the red accents? Sexy looking reels. Never tried an abu but, like u, I've always like how much drag it has. Want to wait for a lefty mgx if they'll ever come out with one. If not the the sx it'll be. Thanks for the insight
Old 09-09-11, 02:34 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lews speed spool,4/7/1,20 or so years old used every year still good.
Must be why they went out of business buy one and good for life almost.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 02:39 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Like Kory,I also give the SX and Pro qualifiers a thumbs up...The Revo series and PQ have yet to let me down across the board...
Old 09-09-11, 05:52 PM   #6
bamabassman

anthing as long as it's a GARCIA. sorry.love em to death.
Old 09-09-11, 06:03 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by boloson View Post
I was very close to buying that reel after reading great reviews on it. Is the newer sx the all black with the red accents? Sexy looking reels. Never tried an abu but, like u, I've always like how much drag it has. Want to wait for a lefty mgx if they'll ever come out with one. If not the the sx it'll be. Thanks for the insight
Yeah the red and black ones are the new version. There are a lot of members on here who are more reel savy than I am so I will let them explain what the difference is between the new ones and the old ones because I don't know. The new ones do seem smoother but like I said it's a little more tricky to cast light baits with for some reason so it's a great reel for the skilled caster.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 12:29 AM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have my fair share of Curados. My favorite edition is the 100D series. They area all very smooth and have stood up to the test of times. But I am branching out and have an Okuma Serrano that is as smooth as silk, but only time will tell of the integrity.
Old 09-10-11, 12:34 AM   #9
Jrob78

My favorite reels are Daiwa Zillions. They are smooth, very precise and built like reels should be built. The also palm better than any other reel I've ever held. My only gripe about them is they don't have bearing supported knobs, not a deal breaker but should be mandatory on a reel costing that much. They also don't handle light baits real well but I have other reels for that.
Old 09-10-11, 02:12 AM   #10
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The older Curado B's were great reels. Decent price, easy to work on, and they performed great. I didn't like the small reel grips but that's an easy fix. I still have several that are catching fish like they did when they were new.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 09:33 AM   #11
Tavery5

I own many different reels, and have worked on even more. There are aspects of many different reels that I really like. I love the Chronarchs, the hub they use to support the spool bearing on the palm plate side is an amazing idea. Diawa and Abu have very different reels but both have very good ideas with the disengaging spools. I love reels like the pro Q and Pflueger Patriarch XT that offer dual breaking, I think it allows for the most customizable breaking out there. Diawa and Shimano use a one piece clutch system that has a very positive feel when engaging and disengaging the spool. When I look at all the design elements that I like about reels, and bring that together with ergonomics and last but not least ascetics, I have settled on two reels that I find to very very good. The Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool and Abu Garcia Revo Premier. Both of these reels fill the requirements for what I look for in a reel.
Old 09-10-11, 11:18 AM   #12
bassboogieman

I've been using Pflueger reels for over 8 years and haven't found any reason to change. I like them even more now that they've gone to the low profile frame, and added the magnetic cast control on the higher end reels. The Patriarch XT is my favorite - the dual braking system is very versitile and makes setting the reel very easy. The drag is good (although not as good as the REVO, but really - who needs 20+ pounds of drag when fishing for bass?). The light weight is a plus when matched with a quality rod (XT is abount an ounce lighter than the comparable Patriarch). The finish is durable, and I like the blue color, the carbon fiber handle is cool and the knobs soft. They are available in two gear ratios 6.4:1 and 7.1:1, but a wide spool is not available in the XT (regular Partiarch, yes)

I've tried the REVO and actually prefer the very similiar Pflueger, as I find them easier to set up for various baits. As mentioned above, I found the REVO difficult to set as they are so darn free spooling, overruns became problematic especially in the wind. The Pfluegers are a bit better, but casting into the wind takes a bit of concentration - as with many casting reels.

Dislikes - personally I have none. But in general, Pflueger does not offer much for those that prefer a left handed reel. The regular Patriarch has only one left handed version, but a reel company this big should offer more for those "wrong handed" anglers, so they also can use and appreciate the Patriarch XT.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-10-11 at 11:26 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 12:39 PM   #13
Tavery5

Looks like Pflueger may be discontinuing the Patriarch XT reel. It is no longer listed on their website and several retailers are starting to discount it to move it out. I think these are great reels, makes me wonder what Pflueger is up to.
Old 09-10-11, 01:57 PM   #14
bassboogieman

I'm looking for a re-design hopefully, because as you said it's a fine reel - actually the best reel they make, so it doesn't make sense to me to kill it. But,stranger things have happened. Last year it was the spinning reels that were updated with the new Supreme XT and the new Patriarch. I nearly bought a couple of the casting XT's last week when Cabela's closed them out, but decided to wait. Hope that wasn't a bad decision and the best thing they could do with a redesign is offer a lefty. Then I could laugh at NFE as he blows a paycheck on some new reels.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 09:11 PM   #15
skeeter1804

Anything but a Garcia. I have used Curados for years but am switching over to Ardent. I am switching over only because Ardent is made in the good ole USA.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 09:29 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Favorite baitcaster.... That is definitely a tough one. I really like most of the casting reels I own, but choosing a favorite model among my Daiwa reels would be tough.

I love the Daiwa Zillion, but surprisingly there's just something about the Viento... I can pick it up, tie on just about any lure suited to the 7'3" MH F rod its mounted on and just cast. The Zillion, while smoother and more ergonomical can be a bit more picky and requires a little time to dial in the tension and brake settings. The Sol is another great reel which is just as comfortable to palm as the Zillion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
...and the best thing they could do with a redesign is offer a lefty. Then I could laugh at NFE as he blows a paycheck on some new reels.
I couldn't agree more with both of those points!

BB
Old 09-10-11, 10:24 PM   #17
bassinbob

Favorite brand, Shimano. Favorite reel, Chronarch mg50. No dislikes. Likes, easiest, farest casting, smoothest reel I've ever used.
Old 09-11-11, 01:14 PM   #18
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
Anything but a Garcia. I have used Curados for years but am switching over to Ardent. I am switching over only because Ardent is made in the good ole USA.
really? i've read nothing but the complete opposite of what u just wrote. but then again i havent tried an abu or ardent just yet. what didnt u like about abu's? and why ardent asides made in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Favorite baitcaster.... That is definitely a tough one. I really like most of the casting reels I own, but choosing a favorite model among my Daiwa reels would be tough.

I love the Daiwa Zillion, but surprisingly there's just something about the Viento... I can pick it up, tie on just about any lure suited to the 7'3" MH F rod its mounted on and just cast. The Zillion, while smoother and more ergonomical can be a bit more picky and requires a little time to dial in the tension and brake settings. The Sol is another great reel which is just as comfortable to palm as the Zillion.

BB
havent tried a zillion. heard great things about them though. i have a pixy & love everything about it except the drag. already upgraded mine into a pixzilla & man this thing is awesome. the sol is an exact replica of the pixy but with a stronger drag. i have both schematics & that's the only difference i see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Favorite brand, Shimano. Favorite reel, Chronarch mg50. No dislikes. Likes, easiest, farest casting, smoothest reel I've ever used.
hmmm kevin's favorite is also the chronarch. will have to check that one out
Old 09-11-11, 01:23 PM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post

Have you had a chance to fish the Ardent reels yet? While I like the fact that you are supporting a US company, these reels have some of the poorest engineering that I have seen in fishing reels.

I have a buddy that is on the Ardent Pro Staff, he says he loves his, but then again he don't work on his own reels.

Anyway hope you like them.
Old 09-11-11, 09:00 PM   #20
kennethdaysale

I really like Shimano stuff...currently using Curado 200e7's and 5's. As far as made in USA goes I'm all for it, but unfortunately if thats the standard we had to use 90% of our stuff would disappear.
Old 09-12-11, 09:57 PM   #21
skeeter1804

I'm sure Garcia makes a good reel these days but I got burned years ago when they were building absolute crap like the 321 and 521 series reels. I finally got fed up with fixing them and went to Shimano and have never looked at another Garcia. Again that was a long time ago and I have heard nothing but good things about the Revo but the Curados are cheaper and as dependable as anything on the market. I am giving Ardent a shot only because it is American made. I really don't like them as well as the Curado but Ardent is releasing some new reels this year that are supposed to be even better. I hope they are.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 11:27 PM   #22
keithdog

I'd have to vote for my Revo SX. I also like many others here love my Pro Qualifiers. But my Revo SX flat out performs any reel I've ever used.
Old 09-16-11, 10:45 AM   #23
OkobojiEagle

Abu Morrum 1601sx mag
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 02:21 PM   #24
Bender

I've owned quite a range of reels. My biggest disappointment is with the two Zillions I have, maybe I got two bum ones since other people like them. Maybe it is the magnetic brakes that I don't like. I just switched one out for an upgraded Scorpion today on my main jig rod and I'm headed to the lake now, we'll see how that does.

I really like my Calais but top of all time for me has to be the Chronarch Mg50/51. It is light, casts a long way, handles light and heavier baits, is smooth, etc. If I was in the market I'd try to find some used ones but I have too many reels now. I suppose Cores are their replacements.

Edit: I thought I should add that the biggest surprise I've had is how well I like the BPS Carbonlite reel. It is really nice and not super expensive.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 07:49 PM   #25
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Favorite is my Revo premier, 2nd is my curado 51e

Best bang for the buck is my basspro PQ, 2nd is my Diawa exceler 4.9(paid $45)
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.