Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-10, 09:35 AM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Leaks in aluminum boat.

How's the best way to find a leak in an aluminum boat that has rivets?

How's the best way to fix the leak once you've found it?
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 09:50 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
How's the best way to find a leak in an aluminum boat that has rivets?
This one's not too complicated...and I'm not being a smarta$$...but look for the water. If the leak is coming from an inaccessible place, like under an enclosed bench, sometimes you can flip the boat over, submerge it, and look for air bubbles (this can be very hard to do...takes a lot of weight, and only advisable for bare john boats, obviously).

Quote:
How's the best way to fix the leak once you've found it?
Well, it depends on what you want to spend and how much trouble you want to go to. These options, ranging in order from cheapest, easiest, and most temporary, to most expensive, difficult, and permanent.

1. Silicone
2. JB Weld
3. Drill out rivet and replace
4. Rhino-type spray-in line
5. Weld it solid (will require TIG welder and grinding)

Of course, you could always just keep bailing.
Old 05-11-10, 11:36 AM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For me, the best way on my aluminum boat was to fill it with water while it was on the trailer. I used the hose to put enough water in to cover the entire surface I repaired my one leak by drilling out the rivets and replacing it. I also applied silicone caulk to the hole and drove the rivet through the caulk.
Once the leak was repaired, I repeated the process to make sure that I had it fixed. After I was done, I just raised the tongue and drained the water as usual.
Old 05-11-10, 03:59 PM   #4
bassinbob

I have done it cassidyta's way a couple of times. I also put some wood blocks under the trailer frame so as not to put a lot of weight on the tires. I used JB weld. Easy to use and it holds. Also find some screws that fit the holes the rivits make. I carry a couple in my tackle box. If you're out and one pops out just screw it in for a temp fix. Some nice fisherman gave me one when I put my boat in and saw where the rivit came out. He saved the day.
Old 05-11-10, 04:27 PM   #5
MeanMouth
BassFishin.Com Member

If you go to a marine accessories store, you'll find some useful products. Most marine sealants dry rock solid, and can be sanded and painted to match.
MeanMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 05:19 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Well, it depends on what you want to spend and how much trouble you want to go to. These options, ranging in order from cheapest, easiest, and most temporary, to most expensive, difficult, and permanent.

1. Silicone
2. JB Weld
3. Drill out rivet and replace
4. Rhino-type spray-in line
5. Weld it solid (will require TIG welder and grinding)

Of course, you could always just keep bailing.
So the silicone is the cheapest, easiest, and most temporary. What about the JB Weld? Is it more expensive, as easy, and less temporary, or same price, a little harder, and longer lasting?
And as far as drilling out the rivet and replacing...
Old 05-12-10, 06:01 PM   #7
Jigger

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 05-12-10, 10:11 PM   #8
bassfisher

I first did what was said above, filled it with water, W/the tounge tilted down or level, and find my leaks. Then I went talking to a few dealers close by, and one of them turned me onto a local welder. He charged me 150 to TIG weld a 8" square plate over a large seam at front of my 94 17' Tracker Magna deep V boat, and replaced 5 rivets. It was good as new, no more leaks at all.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 09:22 PM   #9
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
I first did what was said above, filled it with water, W/the tounge tilted down or level, and find my leaks. Then I went talking to a few dealers close by, and one of them turned me onto a local welder. He charged me 150 to TIG weld a 8" square plate over a large seam at front of my 94 17' Tracker Magna deep V boat, and replaced 5 rivets. It was good as new, no more leaks at all.
Thanks man, I think that's where I'm leaking too.
Old 05-14-10, 10:44 PM   #10
gamecockbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I had a leak the other day i found a loose rivet and used a bondo fiberglass patch kit to seal it up by putting a double patch over the rivet and the one closest to it because it looked loose too and tried it today and it held great.
gamecockbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 06:34 PM   #11
AbuMel
BassFishin.Com Member

About thirty years ago my dad had some leaking rivets on his '57 Lonestar King Commander. Once we determined which ones were leaking by filling the boat with water I covered each one on the outside with a single component product called Lab Metal and painted over them. My dad passed away in 1991, I gave the boat to my son who is still using it and it still doesn't leak.

I recently had another use for the stuff, Googled it and, sho' 'nuf, they still make it.

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?ID=1
AbuMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 10:29 AM   #12
Dennis1022
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuMel View Post
About thirty years ago my dad had some leaking rivets on his '57 Lonestar King Commander. Once we determined which ones were leaking by filling the boat with water I covered each one on the outside with a single component product called Lab Metal and painted over them. My dad passed away in 1991, I gave the boat to my son who is still using it and it still doesn't leak.

I recently had another use for the stuff, Googled it and, sho' 'nuf, they still make it.

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?ID=1
I jut wet to the site, and ordered myself some of that stuff! If this works I'll be able to sell the boat that was my Titanic of the lakes!
Thanks for the information!
Dennis
Dennis1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 10:48 AM   #13
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I had a leak at the front of my 12' v aluminum and it turned out that there is a little channel in the bottom of the center of the boat where water gets in through the back at the opening and it was somehow coming in through the front. I flipped it over, drilled a hole in the very front of the hull and filled it with a ton of silicone. It worked great after I let it dry for a few days.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 11:28 AM   #14
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1022 View Post
I jut wet to the site, and ordered myself some of that stuff! If this works I'll be able to sell the boat that was my Titanic of the lakes!
Thanks for the information!
Dennis

hey dennis nice to see ya over here..

i've used this stuff in the past it works..

zooker
Old 01-20-11, 08:41 PM   #15
wolffmi
BassFishin.Com Member

Default replace rivets

the best way is to replace all loose leaking rivets. Check out a product i found online. Google bull frog rivet . This kit will work for you.fw
wolffmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 01:13 PM   #16
Ebbetsguy

I do the Cass , fill it up with water deal, every spring. I also found once you use what ever weld prodct you put on the leaky rivet, I do this a couple of times then eventualluy>>>I paint the hull periodically with an epoxy based paint, keeps it leak free for a long time
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.