Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-26-16, 12:26 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Choice for battery charger.

I need a new battery charger for my 105 amp Exide 31MDC deep cycle battery. My old Sears charger bit the dust. I'm looking at some Schumacher and Sears chargers, but thought I would ask here as I am not the most knowlegable person around when it comes to battery chargers. I'm thinking an automatic charger, but perhaps a combined auto/manual would be more useful? Also, do I want a 10 amp or 15 amp charger for a battery of this size?
Old 06-26-16, 06:59 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

10 or 15 amp depends on how fast you want it to charge. i always said bigger is better. how often do you use your boat . everyday 2/3 times weekly or just one day. 15amp will give you a faster charge. i would make sure it has a maintainer charge option. that way once it is chaged it will keep it charged. you are using a external charger. i would get one that can do it all cars. lawnmowers and your boat. that is my 2 cents worth. good luck and tight lines.
Old 06-28-16, 11:28 AM   #3
Captmikestarrett

I have always loved the ones built into my boat. Get home at 11pm and just plug it in. Maintains the battery during the cold months of storage too. Hooking up clamps with that little spark scares the hell out of me.. I had a battery explode twice on me. Both times I was wearing glasses and had a bottle of water to flush my face. I see them for 70 bucks all the time. Dual bank chargers a bit more.

So depending on usage I lean toward Guest chargers. Some last 8 years while others only 3.
But they cost the least.

Capt Mike
Old 06-28-16, 03:36 PM   #4
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am not going to recommend any ... since there are many good systems on the market.
Battery Tender makes a good system, but they are not truly designed to bring back a badly discharged battery. They will do it, if you give it a week to get there.
Christie makes an excellent system, but you can buy several new batteries for what it will cost you to buy one.

I agree with Capt. Mike ... get one that's built in. Hook it up to the battery before plugging it into the wall, and you shouldn't get that little spark ...
You can also hook the battery to the charger through a power switch.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 06:44 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I have always loved the ones built into my boat. Get home at 11pm and just plug it in. Maintains the battery during the cold months of storage too. Hooking up clamps with that little spark scares the hell out of me.. I had a battery explode twice on me. Both times I was wearing glasses and had a bottle of water to flush my face. I see them for 70 bucks all the time. Dual bank chargers a bit more.

So depending on usage I lean toward Guest chargers. Some last 8 years while others only 3.
But they cost the least.

Capt Mike
I hear ya loud and clear Mike. Only thing is, this is a small Jon boat, and turned upside down at the side of the garage 5 months out of the year during winter. I need a traditional style charger.
Old 06-28-16, 06:46 PM   #6
keithdog

I should explain a bit more. I have a 12 foot Jon that gets stored upside down along side the garage over winter. I need a traditional style charger. Right now I am looking at Schumacher fully auto 15 amp chargers with a 125 amp quick start which will be handy this winter with our car batteries.

Last edited by keithdog; 06-28-16 at 06:51 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 07:17 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett

I have one of those.. they work well for jump starts.

Capt Mike
Old 06-29-16, 01:01 PM   #8
mikechell

Keith, that charger will work well, as long as you monitor it. I don't think they automatically reduce charging current as the battery charges up. They just keep running until the electrolyte boils.
A fully charged battery can sit on a shelf for about 2 months or so in winter temps. A month or so in indoor temps. If you put it on the charger for an hour or so each month, all Winter, the battery will be good to go for Spring ... and last for a very long time.
Old 06-30-16, 07:29 PM   #9
keithdog

[QUOTE=mikechell;417776]Keith, that charger will work well, as long as you monitor it. I don't think they automatically reduce charging current as the battery charges up. They just keep running until the electrolyte boils.
A fully charged battery can sit on a shelf for about 2 months or so in winter temps. A month or so in indoor temps. If you put it on the charger for an hour or so each month, all Winter, the battery will be good to go for Spring ... and last for a very long time.[/QU
Actually, the model I am looking at has a microprocessor that says it will monitor the batteries charge and switch to float mode, maintain, as soon as the battery is full.
Old 07-01-16, 11:10 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Keith, if you can find one that both charges and maintains-set it and forget it-would be my recommendation. When I first got my boat I upgraded the on board charger. The old one was still good so I mounted it on some scrap 2x4s I had and used it for the cranking battery. I just added clips in place of the eyelets the on board charger. I guess what I am trying to say is you can get an on-board charger, just don't mount it on the boat. Take the battery out, hook up and plug it in-set it and forget it
Old 07-05-16, 08:29 AM   #11
mikechell

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Actually, the model I am looking at has a microprocessor that says it will monitor the batteries charge and switch to float mode, maintain, as soon as the battery is full.
That's what you want. Sounds like a perfect system for boat batteries.
Old 07-06-16, 06:29 PM   #12
keithdog

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate your comments. I ended up buying a Schumacher SC-10030A charger. Looks like it will serve me well. At least I hope so. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81bBHEIQudL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	9211  
Old 07-14-16, 09:15 PM   #13
lilmule

Its ok as far as chargers go,winter time storage sic a trickle charger on it,float mode isn't always a small dependable voltage it waits till it senses it needs it then charges and possibly more than it needs overall as not limited to micro amps.Trickle will also float if the correct model and much less chance of boiling or overcharging.
Mine lasted about a year and a half,current one been on it for three years yes mounted in the boat gets beat a lot had to remount it a few times.Pro Sport three bank never had one prior.Suspect just like their are bad fords ,chevys etc limited often to a specific model,so even a no name brand can be a good one or a name brand a lame one(ford pinto).Just pick and choose wisely,you got what you looked for so should work out.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.