Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-07, 07:32 PM   #1
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Awsome On Top!!!

If you are like me you love to catch fish on top , so I ask this question of you all what was your most memerable top water bite?
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 07:50 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Well heres mine..
I had been throwing a topwater popper in a small pond that has alot of 1-2 pounders, but not many big bass. I had caught a couple, but not much worth mentioning. Then I had a huge blowup, but upon setting the hook my knot pulled I walk around the pond back to my bag and tie on another. I go back, and cast at the same place and had another blowup, and caught a 5 and something pounder, with a popper hanging from its mouth

tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 08:09 PM   #3
garry_3000

Ok early this summer me and my father were fishing some slop and were catching some small or frogs when I got an huge blow up nocked my frog streight up in the air about two feet I reeled my frog in as I was reeling my father thru his frog at the hole left in the slop when boom hes rod was dubbled over he couldnt budge the fish we thought it was an 8 pound bass or bigger so we cranked the troll on high and went after the monster bass when we got to it I grabed the net just to find out it was an snapper so bigg it would nt fit in the net our harts were broken
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 10:46 PM   #4
ESipes_89

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89
Talking

Mine accually goes back about a month ago. I went to a pond I haven't fished much due to the fact that I don't have a boat and all the good structure is a good ways out toward the middle. We had jus got our first cold snap about three days earlier and thought mabye the fish had moved into shallow water. I was walking the shore and notice a small disturbance and casted in my Pop'r. I started working it back and when I got to where the disturbance was there was a small ripple and my popper dissapeared. At first I thought it was a bluegill or red-ear sunfish. I set the hook and I though I hit a log.

I started to reel it in and there was almost no fight just a heavy weight. When I got it almost to the shore I think we saw eachother at the same time cause she took off like a bolt of lightning and put up the hardest fight I've ever encountered. After I finally landed it, she weighed in at 6lbs 1oz. and was 22" long with a 15" girth. So far, it's my personal best. All I have to say is thank god for braided line.

-Eric
Old 11-03-07, 10:04 AM   #5
bassinbob

Two years ago I was fishing one of the old Erie canal extensions. I had a Horny toad tied on and was dragging it over some matted weeds. I had a blow up and missed it. I recasted and brought it back over the same mass of slop. It was so thick the line and lure left a mark through the mess. She hit it again and I missed again. I thought what the heck and the third time she hit it good. I thought it was a pretty good one and fought her in. With the sloop and the fish I thought she was pretty heavy. She turned out to be a litle over 5 lbs according to the digital scale. I never thought she would keep going after that toad.
Old 11-03-07, 10:44 AM   #6
brushhog

Memorable for the wrong reason...I was walking a lizard, I am notoriously unlucky with topwaters, had a huge blow up that knocked the lizard straight up. The fish came all the way out of the water like the stinkin' bass master logo! Of course I missed the fish and recast and recast for about ten minutes.... Long story short, my buddy comes over about 10 minutes later, throws a lazy ike in the same spot and lands a the biggest fish of our season on the first cast!!!! I'm pretty sure I posted hid picture with the fish 5+ pounds somewhere on the forum
Old 11-03-07, 07:20 PM   #7
Marty

My biggest LM bass came on a Sizmic Toad, and my second biggest on a Strike King Grass Frog, so those are clearly my two most memorable topwater bites.

And my biggest SM and pike were both caught on a Jitterbug, so those are pretty memorable too.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 07:54 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mostly just countless strikes on the PopR, on the river and lakes the first hours of tournaments..its always nice to put one in the live well for the
start of the day.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 08:38 PM   #9
zooker

no dout about it i have two..

a 4 pound smallie on a rebel popper in 112 feet of water on lake james.-what a rush!-

and the best topwater hit i have EVER had..
a 17" puppy drum on a horny toad.. did not just grab it but it did the classical top water type bass hit.

zooker
Old 11-04-07, 06:39 PM   #10
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

What a thrill to see a blow up on a pop-r. I never go with out one tied on.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 04:57 PM   #11
Captmikestarrett

Tossed a 2.5 once Lonely Angler Plug to the rocks at island 4 of CBBT and hooked up on a 44 inch convict bass.

Just like this one..

Yea baby. St Croix 7 ft med spinning rod and a Phfluger President reel and 20 lb power pro.

Capt Mike
Old 11-06-07, 07:24 PM   #12
zooker

hmmm intersting goin to have to steal the plug picture btw. to show my salty homies..

she caught a nice rock der mike..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.