Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-04, 10:21 PM   #1
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983
Default new reel from Gander MT.

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the Daiwa Ondine spinning reel. Just picked on up from Gander Mt. for $42. It was half price. Thanks for any help.
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 11:49 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: new reel from Gander MT.

Heres the link to the reel on Daiwa so folks know what you're looking at http://daiwa.com/tackle/reels/spin-fw/on/index.html

Personally I don't have any Daiwa's, but it does look like a decent reel, what model did you get, and what rod are you putting it with. And lastly what are you going to use it for, general purpose, plastics, cranks ???

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 01:18 AM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I haven't used that particular one either, but it looks like a good reel.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 09:33 PM   #4
bassmaster1983
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster1983

Lizardsrule
Thanks for the reply. For now the reel is going on a 7ft. ugly stick. The reel is a model 2500. I spooled it with floro line 12lb. test. It has an extra spool which I am going to use mono on. I plan to use it for mainly plastics. I hope to get a new rod for it also. Any suggestions on a rod would be helpful.
bassmaster1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 10:04 PM   #5
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I asked about the Ondine on another forum and got positive feedback. I was all set to buy one, but the Gander here was out of 2500s, all they had was 1500's and 2000's.

I use other Daiwa 2500's and a 6'6" medium power, fast action rod for a general purpose outfit. If you're going to use it for mainly plastics, you might want a medium heavy in 6'6" or 7', whatever you're comfortable with, although I don't have trouble with hooksets with plastics with my medium power.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 09:05 AM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Marty link=board=MessBoards;num=1102036878;start=0#4 date=12/03/04 at 20:04:12] If you're going to use it for mainly plastics, you might want a medium heavy in 6'6" or 7', whatever you're comfortable with, although I don't have trouble with hooksets with plastics with my medium power.[/quote]

I would definately go with a Medium Heavy rod, I never buy a spinning reel anymore that doesn't have an extra spool I actually bought about 8 quantum spinning reels(4000 models) and spooled up 4 of them(the spares) with my favorite Fireline, 3 with Flourescent Mono, either Trilene XL or Stren, and 1 with PowerPro baid. I switch quickly when needed, and the mono is used for both night fishing and my cranks/topwaters/spinners. I prefer Fireline for any plastics plastics(which I use more than anything else), the Braid I will use For my PnJ's and occasionally c-rigs. The nice part about the extra spools, which I always keep with me is a quick change if you ever get low on the spool your using, or you want to change lines quickly, plus I now usually only have to respool line 1-2 times a year, since I can just switch out the spools, and when I get em all use and abused I just respool all of the at once, seems to save me quite a bit of time. Good luck with whatever you choose, didn't mean to ramble.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.