Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 11-28-11, 06:32 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Unhappy I simply will never learn

I sent this as a PM to kennethdaysale in response to his 6300 post because I've probably have already made enough of you unhappy already. But I simply will never learn to just keep things to myself. So in an effort to help, I'll share my letter with you all. These comments are not meant for any one person or to hurt anyone's feelings. Rememder originally this was not meant to be published but here it is:
Originally Posted by joedog
First I want to thank you for trying to improve or rather increase activity at this site! Next I guess you may have figured out why activity is slow, NO-ONE CARES. I am completely amazed that this post has been up all weekend and only 2 veteran posters even commented, and all they had to say is what can't be done or why things are like they are. Now there are alot of great minds at this site, surgeons, enginners,accountants, teachers, college students even high school kids who mess with forums and chat rooms and such on a daily basis. Yet no input. Fact they won't even take the time to comment on posts already made on this topic. Even the newbie's entry just tells why something dosn't work, but at least he gave his thoughts of a prior post.
Now I'm not going to waste your time with more ideas, which I do have, because my time is probably better spent on finding a new joke so at least theres more activity.
Now to end this, I will leave you with a few thoughts to ponder. There seems to be a tendency to tell a new poster that the subject they have questions on has already been covered and sometimes they are even told to go to search to find thier answer. Now the last thing a newbie wants to do is spend alot of time trying to figure out how to use the site. Now it may be more effective if an idea was given and a link to the search topic also added for additional information and to show how much information is avalible here. What do you think happens when you ask a question and the response is, we've done that or we answered that before. You think I'm asking another question, it's probably been asked before. There is going to be repeating of topics when you have new people anywhere! If you don't want to say something again, don't. But don't send the asker searching, because they rarely will. They just go elsewhere. It appears to me that some of the regular posters really treat the forum more like a chat room yet they won't go to the chat site.This is fine but I can't tell you how many posts I've gotten involved with that seems to turn into discourse between a couple of posters disagreeing. Thats exactly what a chat room is for! Now I appologize for PMing you but I wasn't comfortable just spooting off about about this because it's really not my place, I'm a newbie.
I want to thank you again but unfortunatly I think your going to have a uphill battle on this one. Let's face it, some people just don't like change!

I will repeat, I'm not trying to be crirical or hurt anyone, just sharing my thoughts. (I have so few of them, I have to share them when they do happen)
Good fishing to everyone and I truely do enjoy this site!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 07:20 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

6300 post?
Old 11-28-11, 07:46 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

This thread: http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=30158
Old 11-28-11, 07:53 PM   #4
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
6300 post?
Bryce, it was the post about this site having 6300 registerd members but very few active members. He was looking for ides on how to increase the activity level. Evidently, Joe was wondering why almost none of us active members psoted a response to it.

Joe and Ken, I didn't respond becuase i don't have any ideas on how to get more folks interested in participating in the forums. You mentioned that kevin could try some things, the fact is, Kevin sells add space based on site number clicks to the main site, he probably doesn't care how many folks post on the forum. The other main factor for those numbers is that folks cruise the internet looking for fishing sites. They find this one and join long enogh to look around and then move on. If you checked the stats for most fishing sites they would probably be about in line with that.

I know we can sometimes get carried away a bit, but this is still a much freindlier site than many of the others, so i doubt that that has anything to do with it.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 08:19 PM   #5
woody

The only thing I wanted to add is that most of the time forums have less activity during the warmer months of the year for obvious reasons.

We should start seeing more member activity, trust me.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 08:51 PM   #6
pig n jig

I don't have alot to contribute anymore but I always have the desire to learn something new.I have lost the intensity of my desire to fish 200+ days a year I once had.I have accumulated so much gear over the years,I haven't had the need to buy anything new in quite some time but I am reading, looking to expand my arsenal with the latest and greatest techniques. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 09:41 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'll agree with you, on that last point Joe.

However I'm not one for a big forum with a mess of people you don't really know. I like a small one. I'm a member on numerous other forums, which have a MUCH bigger population.

It's kind of like why I like a smaller school better. You get to know the people there well, and you can really get a scene of belonging. Where's in a big school you walk the halls, ask question have discussions (in class), but you don't really know anyone because it's always 30 or 40 different people you're communicating with. It's big and has a wealth of knowledge, but you don't know anyone. Where's on a small site/school, there's not as much knowledge by volume, but you know the people there can confidently call them you're friends.

There's a down side to the small vs. big site/school though. I'll use my brother for example. In Fl. where our high school had 3000 students. He was a pretty popular guy with his friends, talked to them, & knew them.. Just that group of 10 or 15 people. The other 2980 people were just people you saw on a daily basis. I was pretty much the same way. Not all 3000 kids liked us, or knew us. But it didn't mater cause we had our groups of buddies that had our back.

Now when we moved up north to Wisconsin at first, we moved to a small little hick town called Holcombe. The high school had all of 80 kids, about 20 per class. Now it worked out fine for me. Being a huntin, fishin, country music and trucks kinda guy, I fit in just fine. My brother on the other hand, being more of city kid, hated the heck out of the place, and frankly they felt the same way about him. He didn't have much in common with anyone and just didn't fit it. So since the school was small, he could never really find any group of people to call friends.

We recently moved again, to anther small town called Gresham. The high school has about 100 kids. Slightly bigger, but still pretty darn small. Not the same redneck culture as was present in Holcombe. They all hunt and fish, and listen to country, but there's more big city influences, so he fits in well. He's friends with about 90% of the people in his senior class, and everyone else likes him alright (if you do the math, that's everyone but 3 ). The folks took a liking to my "souther accent" (apparently I have one, never new till I moved to wisconsin, lol), and most folks here are rednecks at hart, so I fit in great as well. Now we go pretty much every bon fire, grad party, and party anyone's got.

My point is though, is that somewhere big, you get to know a select few, and you like those folks well. But it take a long time to fish through all the other 10,000 members to find the 15 or 20 you really enjoy. Some where's a small site with 6,000 members, you'll either fit it, or be an outcast. Not really much an in-between. Or if we use my school analogy, you're either a dork, or popular.

p.s. Another good way to keep things going is to not pi$$ the current members off. Not trying to be mean or anything to put it plainly, just a speck of advise.

Last edited by Bassboss; 11-28-11 at 09:53 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 11:22 PM   #8
joedog

I enjoyed the input guys. Thats what I'm talking about. Mississippi thats a great example of posting the site link, thank you!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.