Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 11-29-11, 06:47 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Red face Christmas Spirit

On another post that I was spoutting off in, someone mentioned (pro reel) how a host or site manager gets paid. This was a good point but I think Kevin actually gets paid per click on a sponsors add at the top of the home page. (at least thats what I've been told by in-house company advertising folk) Anyway everytime I visit I click on at least one link, many times all of them. Now if I'm right about the pay, if everyone dose the same every time they log in or visit site between now and Christmas it would not only show our appreciation for a great site but also a nice Christmas present. Just a thought. Pro I know you do ad space so I'm sure you know the specifics more than I do and if I'm wrong please tell me. I'm just passing on what I've been told.
Good Fishing to all of you.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 07:44 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I always just assumed a fee was paid for running an add on the site, just like running an add in the newspaper. I'm currious to find out exactly how this works.
Old 11-29-11, 11:06 AM   #3
Jrob78

I was under the impression that if we bought something through the links on the page, BF.com got paid. It could be a combination of all these things. At any rate, when I order from TW, I always try to remember to go through here first.
Old 11-29-11, 11:53 AM   #4
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I was under the impression that if we bought something through the links on the page, BF.com got paid. It could be a combination of all these things. At any rate, when I order from TW, I always try to remember to go through here first.
I'm pretty sure you are correct on that one. You need to click through here and then buy product. I'm not too web savvy but you could actually start your own web page with different companies links that you like to shop at and get "paid" to make a purchase.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 12:37 PM   #5
joedog

Ok, called two buddies who have sites and actually do quite well. Anyway they both said that is exactly how they get paid. One did say he wasn't positive if all sponsors were the same but he has 11 and all pay the same. Now you have to realize we're not talking even a cent per click, more like a 100th of a cent. Was told that the bargining is in the amount per click. Also advertising is designed to get you in the store hence they get paid for getting them in the store (site), not based on purchases. Now again, this is not my information but it comes from pretty good sources, both the advertiser and site managers. But what the h*ll, how long can it take to click a sponsers tab. Last thing I was told is freebies sometimes will be based on sales not traffic.
Just thought I'd share.
Old 11-29-11, 06:59 PM   #6
bamabassman

joe.....i don't know a darn thing aobut how kevin makes money, if any, from this site. all i DO know is he started this site at the ripe old age of 13. he has had this site for a VERY long time. it is NOT his primary way of making money. he is self employed (correct me if iam wrong kevin). he created this site purely because he loves fishing. i have personally met and talked to kevin. he is a great guy.
i ain't getting onto you or nothing ok? jsut wanted to give oyu a little background on the man.
i do wish he would make a few more comments here and there. if only to let us know he is still breathing, hahaha. he is a quiet fella really. he lets us have more less free reign here. and it works fantastic i think. we self govern ourselves and everyone here is jsut aobu tthe best friend one could ask for.
i am sure he would LOVE for this site to go "BIG TIME", but then again, maybe not. maybe he likes it jsut as it is. i kinda do. i DO hate it when there are BOTS or people who sign up just to hock their goods or try ot lure us away. we have had a couple come on here and try to do that. yes we get rid of them pretty quick. one i am STILL wishing would meet me halfway (he lives in california) jsut so i can get a hold of him aorund the neck. yes gang i do still think of that fool.
kevin does sell advertizing here. but that is his business, not gonna even try to tell him how to run it. he'd go bankrupt if i did, HAHAHA!!
now i am wanting the GET TOGETHR to get bigger every year. i ahve stated that form the beginning when i hosted the very first one at GOOSE POND COLONY in scottsboro, al. on GUNTERSVILLE LAKE. i want the EVENT to become a FAMILY event. grow to last more than jsut a 3 day weekend. help it grow to where it lasts an entire week. lol.
a tteh first event we had 12 people attend, then kentucky lake we had around 25 (?), then dale hollow fell through cause of weather and the economy, and last years at wheeler we had around 20 attend. NEXT YEAR LOOKS TO BE BIGGER THOUGH. and i for one can't wait to see old friends and some new ones. HOPEFULLY KEVIN CAN MAKE THIS ONE!!! HINT!HINT!HINT KEVIN!!! HAHA!!
kevin DID attend the kentucky lake event. and i think he had a blast. even if he did drive 16 hrs ONE WAY to make it. dale hollow won't be that far for him i don't think.

anyway, i just wanted to chime in and give oyu a little background on the man. maybe he'll make a little thread and give EVERYONE a history lesson on how and when and why he made this site.

i meet folks most every time i either go fishing, or am shopping for tackle and ask if they know aobut this site. i get a yes answer most every time. i tell them to sign up (some have) and get involed. but everyone who has been here, whether visting or becomes a member, knows us. and when i tell who i am...yes they laugh. some shout out "DINK MASTER" and i laugh and say yeppers...dats me. but they DO come here. and they READ these threads and posts. and they get a lot of helpful info. (even if they won't say so, hehe.)

so there ya go pal. i hope to meet you one day too. maybe oyu can come to dale hollow and see everyone oyu chat with here. we would be HONORED to meet oyu joe.
Old 11-29-11, 07:53 PM   #7
joedog

Bamabassman, thank you. I really would like to meet you folks and Kevin. I in no way meant to sound like I was giving Kevin or for that matter anyone advice on how to run or manage a site. I just thought that it was a pretty painless way for us (me) to say thanks. In no way was this post meant to discuss how or how much anyone was being paid. I'm here (thanks to Kevin), one click and I've thanked him. Thats all.
Good fishing to everyone!
Old 11-29-11, 08:48 PM   #8
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Joe, I don't know how the adds are set up here. Some are as you say, where you get a fraction of a cent anytime someone clicks on it. Most sites like this sell add space. The price they can charge for that add space is based on web site traffic. websites have counters that record how many times people go to the site, or how many hits the site gets. The more hits you get per month, the more valuable your add space is. The hits are not recorded by page that someone goes to, just one hit per each time somone goes to the site. Therefore, if you can get people to find you online, and then go to your site, you get a hit. Obviously, it would be best if you could get them to come back every day and even several times a day. An active forum that keeps people interested would be one way of doing that, but what i was meaning with my post is that it seams to me, that this sites emphasis is it's main page and articles. I am personal friends with the owners of a couple of big fishing sites. I can tell you that managing a site with an emphasis on forums is a lot of work. It just seems to me that kevin keeps this forum going for the regulars and isn't realy trying or concerned with building it. I could be all wet here, but if he wanted to build this forum into something like the forums on the bigger sites, then he would be working it and promoting almost every day. Thats a whole lot of work.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 08:59 PM   #9
bamabassman

oh no problem joe. i wasn't implying ANYTHING buddy. tell oyu what, look up this thread called "who is kevin" by ccbass. you'll get a better understanding of who kevin is form one of his CLOSET friends. and oyu will also know who i am wanting to meet in person for the hands tie. lol. i was just trying to give oyu a little insight as to who kevin actually is. and what he does and all. ok? i didn't take anything demeaning by your post or thread. like i said, i ain't computer savvy ONE BIT, HAHAHA!!!

a bio of kevin about hisself would really do members a great deal of good. let folks knkow who and what he is all about.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.