Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-12, 05:45 PM   #1
GUP72
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Do bass fisherman use side image technology?

I was curious if Bass fisherman use side image technology? Specifically the Humminbird? I mainly catfish but find it invaluable. The reason I ask this is I have broken 3 transducers this year, $300 each!!!! The plastic keeps cracking and the mount just falls apart and the ears on the transducer break off just below the mounting hole. I developed my own mount and can even reuse the broken transducers so I should be good for several years now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010105a.JPG
Views:	553
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	7669   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010108a.JPG
Views:	553
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	7670  
GUP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 06:51 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quite a few guys here use side imaging units... I'm a shore angler, so I'm not one of those people, but someone will get to you pretty soon buddy!
Old 03-04-12, 07:01 PM   #3
GUP72
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Quite a few guys here use side imaging units... I'm a shore angler, so I'm not one of those people, but someone will get to you pretty soon buddy!

I like your signature! "think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets. My uncle is a carpenter and is forever trimming exteriors on houses. He has always told me to "think like a raindrop" when I am working with him. My dad's famous quote is " if it ain't the hard way it ain't the right way". How true that has proven to be....
GUP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 07:03 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUP72 View Post
I like your signature! "think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets. My uncle is a carpenter and is forever trimming exteriors on houses. He has always told me to "think like a raindrop" when I am working with him. My dad's famous quote is " if it ain't the hard way it ain't the right way". How true that has proven to be....
Their really is allot of truth behind that isn't there!
Old 03-04-12, 09:47 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I had a side imaging unit on the Ranger I traded off a few years ago. It was the Humminbird 797. I found it to be a very usefull tool to find stuff that most guys would never know was there. Against my better judgement I let the unit go with the boat when I traded it for my Triton because I planned on buying a bigger unit. Finally 2 years later I am getting ready to order an 1198.
Old 03-13-12, 12:59 PM   #6
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

In your word: Invaluable.

I would like to say congrats to your handy work. Thats a very nice durable looking mount. You might even consider continuing to wrap the aluminum all the way around the bottom in the form of the 2 ribs. Maybe cut it down to only 3/4" tall underneath. Looks like some good marketability potential there?

I use an 1198 at the console w/ a transom mount transducer and a 998 at the bow w/ a trolling motor transducer. Almost 2 years old and have never had any issues.

Go to freshwater reservoirs mostly. I also am anal about everything and very careful w/ all of my gear.

I find them extremely useful. I structure fish so I feel blessed to have them to locate structures that I would never see on sonar alone. Usually I'll use a 3 way screen on while cruising around and sonar/DI at the bow. I'll occasionally use side when I'm not moving the trolling motor just to peer out 60' or so.

This past Sunday they helped us find several 2 - 4 lb'ers in 14' of open 52 deg water where I would have never fished. Several boats beating the bank came in empty.

I find myself already this year seeing more things on them or at least understanding more things that I am seeing on them then I did last year so I'm looking forward to some great fishing the more I figure out....

The only thing that I can say I wonder about is when I first installed the console unit, I could have swore that I was getting a depth reading at higher speed down the lake but now I can't get any reading until I stop or slow down. Everything looks normal and as it should, so I dunno.

Last edited by Ranger Guy; 03-13-12 at 01:08 PM.
Ranger Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 09:30 PM   #7
bamabassman

i agree about the "straps", and i LOVE the bracket. looks VERY secure. of ocurse side inmaging is on my WISH list. but i don't have one. maybe one day.......
Old 03-14-12, 12:40 PM   #8
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I had the 998cSI unit on my Nitro that I sold and the unit went with it. Although I used the SI a lot, I too had the same problem with higher speed readings for my 2D sonar and it's extremely irritating, I've heard that a shoot thru ducer is the best approach. The side imaging was crucial for me when pre-fishing, it literally saved me hours. I would highly suggest getting to know your unit inside and out and just spend a day or two playing with it out on the water, a lot of fishermen don't take full advantage of the technology that these units can provide and a larger number don't even know what they are looking at most of the time. It took me a lot of time/practice before I could look at the graph and tell what I was looking at.
Old 03-15-12, 05:15 AM   #9
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Guy View Post
Looks like some good marketability potential there?
+1, having ripped off a few transducers(and not those expensive SI ones either), might be good for other models too.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.