Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-09-13, 09:51 AM   #1
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Reel reviews

I'm looking to replace a baitcasting reel by open water this spring. In looking around I'm finding there are TOO MANY seemingly good reels in the $200 and below price category. When I find something I like I enjoy using it for as many years as it still serves me well, so I want to be thorough with this purchase. How about writing some reviews of your favorite reels. Lew's Tourney Pro, Revo STX, Shimano Chronarch 50 all seem pretty similar... are they? Tavery5 has a new Diawa Tatula type R... how does it perform? I've read the company's tech sheets, I'd like to read how they actually perform on the water.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 04:41 PM   #2
jwm2201
BassFishin.Com Member

In my opinion it's hard to beat the Revo I have several Lews and one Diawa, The Revo is smoother, quieter and casts further with less effort.
jwm2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 05:03 PM   #3
OkobojiEagle

Which Revo? How light of weight will it cast efficiently? I read the Revo baitcasters were pretty finicky to dial in, is that a trait of your's?

oe
Old 12-09-13, 05:03 PM   #4
OkobojiEagle

Last edited by OkobojiEagle; 12-09-13 at 06:59 PM. Reason: duplicat post
Old 12-09-13, 05:27 PM   #5
jwm2201
BassFishin.Com Member

First got the Revo SX for spinnerbaits pared with a 7ft G-Loomis rod I already had The Lews reel I had on it finally quit on me, old reel to costly to fix. Sarted casting about 20ft further with the new setup and with less effort on the cast. Liked the SX sowell I bought another one, then got the STX this fall. As far as dialing them in it was no different than say the Lews or Diawa. The lightest line I have used is 10lb fluro.

Last edited by jwm2201; 12-09-13 at 05:40 PM.
jwm2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 07:06 PM   #6
OkobojiEagle

I had a first generation STX that was very tempermental! Sold it to my worst enemy. Bought two first generation Revo S reels, but I didn't think they handled lighter weight baits well... I read Abu gave the 3rd generation STX the braking system that was developed in the gen 2 Premier. I'm hoping it is an improvement over the STX I had!

oe
Old 12-09-13, 11:29 PM   #7
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I still have a gen 1 STX-HS that I use. I bought a gen 2 of the same model. I didn't get to use the gen 2 a lot this summer/fall but I like using it more then the 1st series. I had a SX and didn't like it at all. Sold it. If I was buying a reel I would look on ebay and buy a new or used in good condition Chronarch mg 50. I bought 3 off ebay and all three are awesome. But that is my personal opinion.
Old 12-10-13, 08:57 AM   #8
OkobojiEagle

Currently the Chronarch 51e tops my list. I wish it had a slower gear option (5.x - 1). I'd like to read more about the Daiwa Tatula. I'll be purchasing my new reel from Cabelas as I've collected enough reward points from their Visa card to cover it. I might as well use the drippin's from my wife's spending!

oe
Old 12-10-13, 12:46 PM   #9
joedog

I usually stay out of reel reviews because it usually ends up to personal preference and the high lites of the reel gets lost in the mix.
BUT

I got a couple of EXOs this summer.
One spinning and one baitcaster.
Got them for $150 bucks at........
you ready.......
GANDER MT.

Took alot of dickering but I told the manager that just ONCE this year I want to use my Gander card at Gander Mountain.

I love them both.
And Oko they have a 5.3:1 gear ratio availble.
You may want to at least handle one the next time your out at the baitshop.
Old 12-10-13, 08:06 PM   #10
Tavery5

Good review of the Tatula at Tackle Tour. About every other thread there is about the Tatula.
Old 12-11-13, 12:39 AM   #11
OkobojiEagle

The threads I've read about the Tatula (quite a few on TT) are comparing it's features to the features of other reels. I'm looking for opinions about how the reel is performing while fishing. Is it getting the job done on the water? Let me know if you really LOVE it and why!

I've not read any negative reviews of any product reviewed by the TT staff. All of these products can't be that good...

oe
Old 12-11-13, 11:18 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Quote:
I had a first generation STX that was very tempermental!
My experience also, so I went to Pflueger Patriarch's which were very similar but less tempermental in getting them dialed in. I liked them enough that I didn't try the succeeding generations of REVO reels with one exception - the WINCH. I was looking for a lower ratio (as you indicated) for crankbaits. After trying a Winch I quickly bought a second. I have the 5.4:1 and it suited my cranking needs perfectly. It's got about the best drag (heaviest anyway) and I've been using them for two years now. It's a relatively light (under 7 oz) reel which is important to me - I use premium light weight rods and slapping a heavy reel on them is just not something I do as it defeats the purpose of the light rods. It's very good in casting and very smooth on the retrieve. I don't know what you are considering the reel's use for or what "light" means to you, but I rarely throw baits less than a 3/8 oz when bass fishing. I've liked the Winch for that weight (plus) and have used some small - 1/4 oz - baits which the REVO handled ok but did not cast as well as with the heavier lures. Possibly adjusting the brakes may have helped, but for the very few times I used the light lures, I didn't bother. If your intention is a cranking reel, I would recommend trying a REVO Winch.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 01:35 PM   #13
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
The threads I've read about the Tatula (quite a few on TT) are comparing it's features to the features of other reels. I'm looking for opinions about how the reel is performing while fishing. Is it getting the job done on the water? Let me know if you really LOVE it and why!

I've not read any negative reviews of any product reviewed by the TT staff. All of these products can't be that good...

oe
TT does a better job or reviewing equipment than just about anyone, they have equipment for testing things others can only give opinion on. If you have not looked in the Forums, then you may have missed as many as 4 different threads on the performance and value of the Tatula and Tatula type R.

My opinion is that it lives up to the hype, there is nothing in this price range that will outcast it, and it is as smooth on retrieve and casting as any of the reel on your list, of which I have owned and used all.

I have done several upgrades to mine, right now I am very happy with the way it looks and performs.

My .02 hope it helps

Last edited by Tavery5; 12-11-13 at 01:40 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 03:13 PM   #14
OkobojiEagle

Tavery5... I'll give you credit for a whole nickle. I hit the jackpot since you wrote that you have owned or used all the reels on my list. Specifically comparing your Tatula R to a Chronarch 50e... are they similarly sized on the reel and how do they feel to you during casting? The Chronarch 50e has a solid following "on the net" that claims it is the best reel in it's class at throwing light weight baits (1/4 oz and maybe slightly less) for distance, do you put the Tatula R "as good" or "better" in that comparison? Do you have a preference for which of these two baits better controls the cast of 1/4 oz baits? I may be getting up to a dimes worth with this interrogation.

oe
Old 12-11-13, 08:19 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Tavery5... I'll give you credit for a whole nickle. I hit the jackpot since you wrote that you have owned or used all the reels on my list. Specifically comparing your Tatula R to a Chronarch 50e... are they similarly sized on the reel and how do they feel to you during casting? The Chronarch 50e has a solid following "on the net" that claims it is the best reel in it's class at throwing light weight baits (1/4 oz and maybe slightly less) for distance, do you put the Tatula R "as good" or "better" in that comparison? Do you have a preference for which of these two baits better controls the cast of 1/4 oz baits? I may be getting up to a dimes worth with this interrogation.

oe
To be fair, I owned the Curado 50e which is essentially the same reel. I liked it a lot and on the right rod it casted lighter baits down to the 1/4 oz range and even a little less very well.

The Tatula is a much bigger reel, it is similar in dimensions to the Daiwa zillion but feels a little larger. This reel is very good at casting baits in the 1/4 oz range and is surprising at how well it handles even 1/8oz baits. Several people who know me here know that I am an ABU guy, but Daiwa got things right when they produced this reel. Trust me when I say that TWS is for real.

I also wanted to add that Daiwa's Magforce z braking is superior to centrifugal for pure distance IMHO

Last edited by Tavery5; 12-11-13 at 08:26 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 08:57 PM   #16
DVT Mike

The $150-$200 price point is the most stacked division of baitcast reels. You'd almost have to try to go wrong. Some may do a little better job in certain applications but at the end of the day the one that feels best in your hand is probably the way to go. Daiwa's brake design is unique and probably the most effective and user friendly, but if you're one of the folks that run their reels super free and just have an educated thumb that's less of a factor. The rod, line and bait have so much more to do with casting distance I don't give that a lot of significance when comparing reels at this level.
Old 12-21-13, 02:22 PM   #17
Old Hooker

I have a Revo S that I bought in 2010, not sure of the generation. I put it on a heavy action flippin stick and it is a beast! Very smooth and strong as a Jeep winch. Tied with it is a BPS Johnny Morris Signature. The drag isn't as strong as the Revo, but it is as smooth.
Old 12-26-13, 04:12 PM   #18
BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
but if you're one of the folks that run their reels super free and just have an educated thumb that's less of a factor. The rod, line and bait have so much more to do with casting distance I don't give that a lot of significance when comparing reels at this level.

Awesome post.

I've been using all 8 of my BPS pro-qualifier reels for the least three years (fishing at least a four times a week consistently) with no issues. They're usually around 70 bucks at BPS. They're smooth, cast extremely well,and are very low profile!

I will never understand why you would pay really anything more than that for a reel if you're not getting paid to fish. Now, unless people can share multiple accounts of what makes these super expensive reels THAT much better than a BPS PQ reel in regards to performance that you need vs. performance the average bass fisherman can live without, why pay more?

Rods are a different story all together.

-One-piece machined-aluminum frame
-Double-anodized, machined-aluminum drilled spool
-7-bearing system with Powerlock™ instant anti-reverse
-Dual Braking System™
-Pin-release side plate for quick brake adjustments
-Built-in lube port

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...roduct/102287/
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 05:56 PM   #19
Tavery5

The PQ is a great reel for it's price, it is usually always discussed in conversations where the topic is best reel under 100 dollars.
There are other reels that are made of lighter metals and composites, have more advanced breaking systems, better and more bearings, composite handles and any number of other features that make them desirable to other anglers. It is simple if you enjoy those type of features you have to pay for them, if not, then you spend your money on what ever you enjoy. The great thing about fishing is that there is room for everyone, no matter if you fish 100 dollar reels or 1000 dollars reels, the point is to enjoy it.

Boones Farm wine is very tasty in the right setting, but there is still a market for Dom Peringnon.
Old 12-26-13, 06:20 PM   #20
lilmule

Lol you guys are reel hos.
Strawberry hill forever
Annie Greensprings
Don who?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 07:28 PM   #21
bassinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post

Boones Farm wine is very tasty in the right setting, but there is still a market for Dom Perignon.
Ummm. Boones Farm Apple was my favorite when I was a teenager. At 99 cents a bottle 5 bucksworth would last all weekend.
Old 12-26-13, 08:20 PM   #22
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Ummm. Boones Farm Apple was my favorite when I was a teenager. At 99 cents a bottle 5 bucksworth would last all weekend.

I was always a

or tickled pink, but I don't think you can get it any longer.
Old 12-27-13, 06:45 PM   #23
OkobojiEagle

BBD... I expect performance AND longevity.

oe
Old 12-27-13, 07:28 PM   #24
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post

I've been using all 8 of my BPS pro-qualifier reels for the least three years (fishing at least a four times a week consistently) with no issues. They're usually around 70 bucks at BPS. They're smooth, cast extremely well,and are very low profile!

I will never understand why you would pay really anything more than that for a reel if you're not getting paid to fish. Now, unless people can share multiple accounts of what makes these super expensive reels THAT much better than a BPS PQ reel in regards to performance that you need vs. performance the average bass fisherman can live without, why pay more?

Rods are a different story all together.

-One-piece machined-aluminum frame
-Double-anodized, machined-aluminum drilled spool
-7-bearing system with Powerlock™ instant anti-reverse
-Dual Braking System™
-Pin-release side plate for quick brake adjustments
-Built-in lube port

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...roduct/102287/
Hey BBD, just curious, do you have a favorite rod(s) you pair this reel with?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 07:50 PM   #25
Tavery5

Quote:
BBD... I expect performance AND longevity.

oe
Have you seen the guy doing the reports on what he calls the 5 year challenge with the PQ? He has several and periodically reports on their status as far as breakdowns and what he has had to replace /repair. From what I can remember they have been holding up well for him. Performance is subjective.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.