Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-03-04, 11:36 PM   #1
Mr.Snagsalot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Snagsalot
Default what in your alls opinion is better?

a spinning reel or a baitcasting reel? i think that might be a tough one!
Mr.Snagsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 12:06 AM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: what in your alls opinion is better?

Neither and both. That's like asking which is better, a hammer or a screwdriver. Different tools for differrent jobs. For example, for throwing a light balsa bait like a Rapala minnow a spinning rod works much better than a baitcaster. On the flip side, for horsing a bass out of the thick stuff a baitcaster works better. It all depends on the applications you are using.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 01:00 AM   #3
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Well put Basser!

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 09:13 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

I promised I wouldn't get on my tiraid about this again. Reb's response was good, some of us have a few different opinions is all I'm gonna say :-X But one thing for sure, if you're wanting faster retieve speed, then you really should go with a Baitcaster, unfortunately they don't really have much for fast retrieve speeds with spinning reels :'(

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 10:06 AM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Actually, most spinning reels probably have a faster retreive than most baitcasters, simply because the spools are bigger, as are the reel handles, so they bring in more line per turn of the reel handle that most baitcasters. (There are exceptions to every rule.) Gear ratio isn't the whole story. Which may be why you don't see a lot of "high speed" spinning reels. They're not needed.

Reb is right. Asking which is "better" is like asking a golfer which club in his bag is the best. Different tools for different jobs. You don't putt with a driver, and you don't drive with a putter. You can of course, but they're not the best tool for the job.

Now you can ask which is the most versatile. That's a different question. I'd say the spinning reel wins that one hands down.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 03:59 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lizards, I figured you would weigh in on this one ;D. So, I'd better add that another factor is personal preference. Use what works for you, not somebody else.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 05:24 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=MessBoards;num=1102127763;start=0#4 date=12/04/04 at 08:06:02]Actually, most spinning reels probably have a faster retreive than most baitcasters, simply because the spools are bigger, as are the reel handles, so they bring in more line per turn of the reel handle that most baitcasters. (There are exceptions to every rule.) Gear ratio isn't the whole story. Which may be why you don't see a lot of "high speed" spinning reels. They're not needed.

Reb is right. Asking which is "better" is like asking a golfer which club in his bag is the best. Different tools for different jobs. You don't putt with a driver, and you don't drive with a putter. You can of course, but they're not the best tool for the job.

Now you can ask which is the most versatile. That's a different question. I'd say the spinning reel wins that one hands down.[/quote]

Ok Cajun, if you say so, but all I can tell ya is my 6:2:1 baitcaster brings in the Buzzbait on top with little effort and my PL40 Pulse Quatum reels you gotta really crank to match the speed so that's where I'm coming from. I bow to your experience and knowlegde here :-[

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 08:01 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

lizards i use a quantum energy spinning reel it is a 6.1 as i like a slower casting rod mine are 5.1.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 09:42 PM   #9
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1102127763;start=0#6 date=12/04/04 at 15:24:20]

Ok Cajun, if you say so, but all I can tell ya is my 6:2:1 Â*baitcaster brings in the Buzzbait on top with little effort and my PL40 Pulse Quatum reels you gotta really crank to match the speed so that's where I'm coming from. Â*I bow to your experience and knowlegde here :-[
Lizards[/quote]
Lizards, you don't need to bow to anybody's experience and/or knowledge. Just check the BPS catalog and you will see for yourself that many spinning reels with the same ratios as baitcasters bring in more line per turn of the handle.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 10:50 PM   #10
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Lizards, there are exceptions to all rules. Some spinning reels have smaller spools and slower gear ratio's so yes, they'll be slower than a fast baitcaster. Another example of matching the tool to the job.

Personally I hate to fish anything except some kind of plastic worm on a spinning reel. It just feels "weird".
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.