Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-04, 04:59 AM   #1

Default Lake Ray Roberts

I know some of you thought I fell off the face of the earth,but I'm hear to tell you it just ain't so.

Lets talk some fishing! Gregg Reedy (another full time guide) and I went out to the lake yesterday to do some scouting,and what we found was pretty interesting.The water temp varied from 50 to 55 and most of the water color was real pleasant. I know you guys have heard a million times your water temperature gauge is the most important tool you have in the spring, well it is. If you don't have one buy one.If your budget is tight like mine you can get a hand held kitchen thermometer for next to nothing and tie it on a string and drop it in the water.I'm telling you a couple of degrees this time of year makes all the difference in the world.

I stay the heck out of cold muddy water I can't catch a dang thing in that mess, some folks can I can't. So when I get in that stuff, I fire up my 225 hp. trolling motor and run as fast as I can to cleaner water. I will trade a little water temp for color. I'm not saying clear water,off colored to stained.

The first stopping point for the bass heading to the spawning flats is where? That's right secondary points, and that is where we caught our fish. Everybody we saw fishing was beating the banks with a White spinnerbait, I love fishing tournaments against those guys! A C-Rig (Carolina) is king right now and will be for a long time, plum up into the dog days of summer. Set this thing up with a half to five eights ounce weight and about a 4 ft. leader. If you don't know how to tie up or fish a c-rig, you need to call me a book a fishing trip with me. These fish have seen so many baits it takes some thing different to catch their fancy. Try using a different bait or really thin leader line on your c-rig.

Martin Pingree of the famous Big Bag Bait company, what you've never heard of Big Bag Baits? No wonder you can't catch fish on The Double "R". I NEVER go to Lake Ray Roberts without a boat full of his baits, I will bet you his baits count for 80 to 85% of the fish caught in my boat. And you can't even imagine the assortment and colors he has in stock. Enough brown nosing, lets get back to fishing. We chose wind blown secondary points because these fish are not spawning yet, they are feeding and what are they feeding on? The natural predator of the Large Mouth Bass a salamander,that's right folks it's the feared Lizard. And he comes in a countless array of colors,shapes and sizes. We picked,or I should say the fish picked Watermelon, big surprise, Uh. Fish on the Double "R" eating a watermelon lizard. Drag this dastardly villain as Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww as you can stand it, remember the water is still really cold,and you know how you feel you first get out of bed on a cold day.

Keep no hostages!
Wes W. Winget
WWW Outfitters
12825 Friendship Rd.
Pilot Point, TX 76258
Off: 940-365-9549
Cell: 940-395-2728
e-mail wwwguideservice@prodigy.net
www.lakerayroberts.com

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.