Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-04-13, 12:42 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Trolling motor issues?

Yesterday our trip on the Wolf was cut a bit short was our trolling motor quite working.

We had just replaced the battery and had been using it the majority of the day just to position the boat in the current which was drifting us down stream... so it wasn't used excessively at all.

At one point it gets tangled up in some weeds and stops. I clean the weeds off and it still wont go?

Today I took the prop off and found a bunch of line underneath. I took it all off and she still wont turn.

What's more is that it turns(ed) backwards, which is really weird. The prop points forward rather than the head. Consequently I need to point the arrow opposite the direction I want to go.

We're getting a voltmeter to make sure power is getting to trolling motor. We know the battery works though because the lights work, and it's brand new (bought Tuesday night).

So ANY idea what could be wrong with it?
Old 07-04-13, 03:45 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

he reason it works backward is you have the wires hook up backwards where it is spliced into plug your neg is attached to the pos. if it still is not working could be because the fishing line destroyed the seal and water got into motor head. in that case it is shot. and you need to B.O.A.T. BUT OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND
Old 07-04-13, 06:09 PM   #3
lilmule

Key words we had just replaced the battery,WRONG WIRING AT BATTERY NOW,JUST SWITCH BACK
THAT AND EVERY TROLLER I EVER HAD HAD A REVERSE NOW WOULD GO FORWARD WITH IT.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 12:51 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Key words we had just replaced the battery,WRONG WIRING AT BATTERY NOW,JUST SWITCH BACK
THAT AND EVERY TROLLER I EVER HAD HAD A REVERSE NOW WOULD GO FORWARD WITH IT.
Re did some wiring and replaced a fuse and she worked for a while. Turned the right way even! lol
Unforutuanlty that didn't last long when it stopped again. Gonna check the fuses and wiring again tomorrow.

Hope I can fix this once and for all....
Old 07-05-13, 10:29 PM   #5
lilmule

Is there also a circuit breaker?
If its pulling mucho amps take the head off and look at the board a loose wire off will do that,bought one at a yard sale once that would drain a battery in about 3 min ,that was all that was wrong,was a good 2o dollar troller(58pd thrust)
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.