Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-16-06, 07:24 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing a Big Tourney Next Month

Fishing a big tourney next month on the Quachita River Nect month 15-16th. Ok since I do most of my bassing on lakes I could use some pointers on river bassin. The river I will be fishing is also a waterway for barges and has locks on it. Any pointers on river bassing will be appreciated. I do fish the river alot but my success is far from being what it is on a lake. So ya'll put on your thinking caps and give me your best. There are alot of backwater lakes etc on this river and the majority of them have blackwater,alot of coontail and duckweed. In the past I do fairly well on scum frogs and bass assasins. This particular tourney is a big bass tourney. Need to catch big fish.
Old 04-16-06, 01:38 PM   #2
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

is the river a tidal river?
if it is,i've had success(spelled tourney wins)by fishing the incoming and outgoing tides by flippin a jig(black w/big bulky craw trailer)to the downcurrent sides of piling,rockpiles,bulkheads,etc.i look for where the water is swirling behind structure.flip into that and hang on.seems thats where i get the biggest bass.hope this helps.
this would be out on the main river.i have also found storm drains in the crreks at low tide,take note where they are and go back as the tide is moving out.the water coming out of the drains seems to turn the fish on.
hope some of this helps...good fishing buddy,knock 'em dead.
Old 04-16-06, 10:03 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm telling you get some greenpumpkin Baby Paca Craws, and use a 3/16th oz bullet weight pegged, and pitch to every single piece of wood you see. Just fished a tidal river today, and it was unique to say the least LOL. Also I have found that the smaller worms, 4" size are usually good for getting you more bites, plus of course spinners, and a Manns-1 banged into some laydowns have been successful for me also. But definately downsize your bait selection. Really work when the tide is coming in. Low tide is the toughest thing for me. We also had success fishing the bridge pilings, and cast into the current, and bring it back with the current, the fish will be laying in ambush for the flow of the water to bring food by them, as in Hiding right behind the dock pilings, and as the current brings the lure past, they will shoot out and grab it.

Lizards
Old 04-17-06, 05:25 PM   #4
bassnman30

Fished a tournament on the Quachita a few years back. The water was muddy and up appx 2 feet and it was in Feb. Thats right cold water that was muddy, and up. However, we caught our fish in a cove with spinnerbaits
(slow rolled) where the water was not as bad as the rest of the river. Actually caught some 2-3 lbers. Most of the field didn't weigh in. Of those that did weigh in they only had 1 or 2 small keepers.
Old 04-18-06, 06:23 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

So bassman where did ya put in at? No its not a tidal river its just a navagation river. So far I have had my bess sucess fishing the backwater lakes and the baits that have done well forme have been the PNJ and in the middle of the day I fish the scumfrog and bass assasin. Caught some nice fish that way. Trying to get all the ideas I can and give'em a try.
Old 04-18-06, 06:48 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

For got to tell ya that the first one I am gonna fish is a big bass tourney. Big bass per hour wins 1000 and if the biggest of the tourney takes home a new toyota tundra. The first 6 lb even bass weighed in takes home a new skeeter with a 150 yammy. I gotta think big on this one. The next one 2 weeks later is a combined weight of mine and my partners for 25,000. Needless to say I have been on the river now since 2 weeks ago and looking in every pocket I can find for fish. Hell I even put another 14 gallon tank in the boat so I can run farther. And for those that have heard me talk about it got my lil ole tidecraft running 57 now gps with a load. More money than I wanted to spend but what the hell. Took a tweaked prop, 6 inches of setback instead of 4 heads cut and big bore carbs and redone the port timing. You oughta hear this rig coming. Sounds like a swarm of mad bees. YA LOVE THAT NEEED FOR SPEED.
Old 04-19-06, 06:17 PM   #7
bassnman30

We launched at the ramp just prior to I think it was the Black river. But man, it's been a few years. I don't recall all the ramps that I've fished out of on most lakes.
The other week we fished out of a place called Longwood ramp at Kerr. I couldn't remember the name, I just followed my GPS and it took me back.
Fished a wildcat last eve, and never did find out the name of the ramp.
As far as the Quatchita river is concerned, it was at a place were I think that two or three rivers came together. It was at Joneboro or Joneville (I forget) LA. Sorry I can't help you more.
Old 04-20-06, 06:33 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Where you r talkin bout is 13 miles south of the weigh-in site which is the south cut off point for the tourney. To damn bad as where the 3 come together is a great spot. I'll be fishing in Felsenthal.
Old 04-20-06, 07:21 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Allright folks need to dig deep into the dark crevises of your mind and give up those secrets for fishing navigation rivers. The 20th and the 21 are the tourney dates and I gotta make a showing on this one.
Old 04-20-06, 08:25 AM   #10
flbassman

I read something in an old bassmaster about fishing along mudlines off of red clay bluffs. Supposedly, as the clay erodes and falls in the water, bugs and other critters fall in, starting a food chain. I'll see if I cant' dig up the article and post more later. I'm at school now, but when I get home, I'll look for ya.
Old 04-21-06, 08:46 PM   #11
bassintom

look for slackwater....eddys etc...or back up in creek channels..if the wind'll let you i'd stay on the main river if the spawn is over..points on each side of creek mouths.
Old 04-21-06, 09:46 PM   #12
pig n jig

Laser, I gotta go with Lizards, A baby paca craw on a jig, with or without a skirt on it as well.The baby paca will shine where there is a bit of current flowing, most times you may have to find which side is pulling the stronger current. The jig with the heavy weedguard lets it fish through the roots that stick up out of the bottom of the river.Drop the baby paca in a slow to medium current and watch the claws on it. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 09:52 PM   #13
Zach_BassFisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

try fishing some blade dancers (prefer green) in the backwater lakes around any moss or duckweed or anything like that. Ive had great succes on this in the past
Old 04-23-06, 02:20 PM   #14
bassnman30

On the Quachita there are some back water areas. Havent had much luck there , but then again that was in cold water.
I'd say give these areas a try.
Old 04-24-06, 06:57 AM   #15
1FASTLASER

Going back today. Hope like hell they done messing with the water level. Gonna try some of my old areas and some that I aint fished in along time. Gonna be going to Wildcat,Crooked S, Bull Break and Redeye. Last time I was in there hung the boat up and looked like a weedwacker on steroids getting into Wildcat. Aint life grand.
Old 05-05-06, 06:19 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

This tourney if the weather keeps on doing what it has been doing is gonna be tuff. Everytime the water gets just about right it either rains cats and dogs or the open up the locks. The fish cant get into there usual places. Keeps moving them around. Aint giving up though. That is a option that isnt in my vocabulary.Hopefully by the first day of the tourney...20th....the water will get right.
Old 05-11-06, 06:31 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

WHOOHOO ound some fish on Monday and the damn things done moved by tuesday. LOL Still done fairly well though. Was throwing alot of frogs around. Even smacked my buddy a couple times from settin to fast.LOL Duckweed gotta find the duckweed thats been blown into the pads and cypress knees thats the pattern I amon right now. Only 9 more days till BLAST OFF.
Old 05-11-06, 09:22 PM   #18
bassintom

that pattern will most likely change..be ready for it.those fish will probably only move in and out of the shallows,they won't go far.you'll just have to search a little bit.look at the first dropoff if they aren't shallow and go from there.
if it happens to be bluebird skies don't give up on a shallow bite.just hit every shady spot with a 4" red shad power worm(were you surprised?)no matter how small it is.
also(and i hope nobody else reads this,,LOL)look for shadows that extend out over the dropoffs from isolated trees growing on the bank.this has worked for me more than once.
if it's raining you should have no problem catching shallow fish.
if a cold front rolls in.....you're on your own..
good fishing.
Old 05-14-06, 12:12 PM   #19
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Actually opening up the locks may be a good thing. The fish in this enviroment are usually very current oriented. Look for areas with current to pinpoint the fish.Make your cast and retrieves wioth the current. Bass will hide behind current breaks and wait for bait to be washed down by them.They cant swim backwards against the current so they will always face the current.
The river sections of our resevoirs here will make you a hero if they are pulling water or a zero if not.Spinnerbaits. Crankbiats or jigs should do the trick.
Good Luck Fish2win
Old 05-14-06, 02:29 PM   #20
bass kicker

good luck laser hope you catch a bunch
Old 05-19-06, 05:50 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

Well folks tommorrow is day 1. My partner came over yesterday eveing and told me some CRAPPY news (that sint crappie neither)....They done started dredging1 mile from the launch. CHIT oh well gonna have to just suck it up and get nasty wif them thar fish. Been there done that. Gonna have to get BACK WAYYYYYYYY back in the woods to catch some fish. Water looks like chocalate milk.Wish me tight lines folks.
Old 05-19-06, 10:35 PM   #22
lizardsrule

Tie on a Paca Craw and go get a WINNER lazer.

Lizards
Old 05-22-06, 06:24 AM   #23
1FASTLASER

Ok here's the down low. Went to preregistration Friday and found out there where approx 1500 entered in the tourney but also a Fisher's of men tourney and another chanbers tourney going on. Probably 2500 boats on approx 60 miles of water. At least the weather is gonna cooperate. Took off at 3:30 am in the boat to get on the hole we where fishing. Sat for 1 hour and here they come. Just in the area I and my partner was fishing counted 126 boats that came into this area before the 5:37 am start. Ok I can deal with pressure. Then boat 127 comes in and sets down 30 yds from me. Several words where spoken and none that I can type and he just trolls off mumbling. 4 hours into the tourney and nuthing but 13 to 15 inch fish in the boat. Sit down and rethink what we need to do. Only got till 1 pm to get a good fish and make the weigh in. 11:00 am and time to eat a sammich. Got that done and ran to another spot only to find 374 boats in that area. Pushed farther and farther into the woods on uncharted waters for me and my partner. Partner says We got 1 more hour ifn we gonna make it. Literally out in the middle of the woods, look at my watch to confirm and yep its 12:00. Make a cast to a willow bush with duckweed and hydrilla surrounding it and fish blows up and misses the frog. Fire it back in there and WHAM good hook set and nett. Put her on digitals and she weighs 5.21. Throw everything in the bottom of the boat, put her on the pad and come outta there like a skeeter on steroids. Make the 2:00-3:00 weigh in and take top honors for that hour and a nice little slip that says we get $1000.00 when the tourney is over. Fly home eat and get ready for day 2.

Day 2

Back to the same hole but went even deeper into the woods for the day. Not so many boats cause the other tourneys are over. Start fishing at 5:36 today. 6:11 am fishes blows up on froggie and WHAM good hook set. 4.32 on the digitals. In the livewell. Gotta try for one more got time for another before another haulin a@@ trip to monroe. Fish our arse off its now 9:30 and dont hear the pumps running. Blown fuse. A little redneck ingenuity and going again. Redneck ingenuity doesnt always work like its supposed to. 10:15 and smell hot wires. WHOOPS wires touched . Got that sorted out and fishing again. There's now enough wire laying in the bilge area that it looks like spagetti. Pumps are working there arse off cause of the duck weed and the great water (Yea right ) quality that they are trying to pump. Finally work our way outta the woods and talk to another boat that says nutting but 2 and 3 lbers weighed in. Look at partner and ask "What ya think" Partner says " Lets go for it". Another trip through the jungle at speeds better suited for a lake with a skiiing area. Partner says when we put boat on the trailer "ARE YOU FRIGGIN NUTS THOSE TREES WGERE A BLURE" I tell him where here and with all legs and arms attached. Partner takes half a bottle of valium and sits and stares off into no where for the trip to monroe. Get to the weigh in and take fish to the holding tanks. Lots of tension as we wait to see what is weighing in. Lots of 3's and 3 1/2lbs er's 3 minutes to make the desicion to weigh in in this hour or wait till the next. Went for it. Fish weighed 3 .94lbs. Then 3 others weigh in being bested by all three and knocking us down to 4th place and another peice of paper thats says we get $300.00 more at the end of tourney.

Summary

Day 1 fish 4.95lbs good for $1000.00
Day 2 fish 3.92lbs good for $300.00

Now gotta rewire the boat and clean all the duckweed and drilla outta the boat and scrub the funny brown stains outta the passenger seat. Had a great time and cant wait for June 3rd. Above partner said he would fish in the next tourney with me but I was gonna have to refill said prescription of valiums.
Old 05-22-06, 02:05 PM   #24
bassdreamer
BassFishin.Com Member

congradulation on the winnings there buddy.sorry to hear about the boat problems.and that was one great report.
bassdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 10:12 PM   #25
lizardsrule

Shoulda thrown the Paca's you woulda caught a Hawg LOL. Great fishing, and mad driving I guess? Keep it up, and you have all the wiring redone in no time rotfl

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.