Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-08, 11:36 AM   #1
Tracker
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Crank bait Rod question

Hi
I am kind of new here and just getting back into fishing. I would like to learn crankbait fishing. I have a 6 foot ugly stick which is veryold and a shimano 2000 reel. It is a spinning reek. I don't know what kind of line is on it but it is green. I think it was on the reel when I got it.
Can I use this stuff to fish rapala crank baits. The kind that look like fat fish not the long kind.
I have been reading different things on the internet and even read the stuff robzilla said.
Can someone explain backbone, fast tip etc. how can I tell what is what when I go to the store I am on a fixed income and don't have a lot to spend. I would like to get all the rods and reels you talk about but need to get only one. Money is very tight and I would like to go fishing with some good stuff and not look like a fool.
any help would be greatly appreciated, but please keep the words simple, I don't understand all the wo4rds used in fiahing.
thank you
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 03:35 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

That rod/reel setup will do the job. Most likely is is a medium action rod, which is the preferred action. I would recommend getting some new line, but I would get a name brand-Trilene, Stren, P-line, etc. Stay away from the bulk no-name lines that are $1.99 for 1000 yards-your line is the only connection to the fish, so good line is important.

The action or backbone of a rod is a bit of a misnomer, but rods range from ultra-light to extra heavy. Simply put, light action resemble a buggy whip where extra heavy resembles a pool cue. Medium action-somehwere in the middle-is preferred for crankbaits because they have some give to them that acts as a shock absorber. When a fish hits a crankbait a stiffer rod makes it easier for the hooks to tear out of the fish't mouth. Backbone(stiffness) is more important with rods you fish single hook baits like plastic worms or jigs where you need an active hookset.

Fast tip, etc:

Referrs to where most of the bend in the rod occurs. Extra fast rods nave the flex in the upper 1/4 on down to slow where the bend is in the upper half. Hope that explains it better!
Old 01-06-08, 04:54 PM   #3
zooker

welcome to the board..
first off replace the line. old line dry rots and will break VERY easily. yes a 6 foot ugly stick spinning rod will work.hell any rod will "work" just some work better than others... the shimano 2000 spinning reel is a decent reel. i would clean it up and lube it.

as for line, the best bang for your buck would be cajun red mono say 12 pound test.-think it is $4-5-
bass pro shops "extreme" reels are fairly cheap but will take a beatin and last alot longer than ANYTHING in that price bracket.-if not some higher priced stuff- the "extreme" rods are also pretty good bang fer your buck..

the trick with cranking is a fairly loose drag. if you set the hook and the drag pulls it is just a hair too loose.

poeple may laugh at my using an extreme reel. but i use mine every weekend year round and have caught more than 1000 bass on that one reel alone in the last 3 years.-this kinda gives you an idea how much i use it-

zooker
Old 01-06-08, 08:43 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The first thing I'd do is change the line. If it's monofilament line, it has probably gone bad. I'd recommend Stren Original Mono. 8-12 lb test will be fine for crankbaits.

The rod and reel will work fine. And like Zook said, clean the reel and lube it. I'd get a good reel lube, don't use just anything you got laying around the house. I'd recommend Abu Garcia Reel Grease.

If you'd want to invest in a better rod/reel go for it. For a rod, the BPS Bionic Blade (79.99) would be good to start. Or you could get the rod I started with: Cabela's Fish Eagle II (also 79.99) As for a reel. Shimano's are great spinning reels along with Abu Garcia's. For the Shimano, I'd go with a Sahara, Spirex (both 59.99), or a Symetre (79.99). Abu Garcia's a little cheaper, but still great quality for the cost. The Cardinal 100 series are great reels IMO, and only around $40.

Welcome to the forum and good fishing!

BB
Old 01-07-08, 09:46 AM   #5
Tracker
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank You All,
you have been most help full. I think I am going to get a new rod. Don't know the brands but I should be looking for a medium rod how many eyes bend in a medium rod. Doew that question make sense?
Wait I just re read the posts and You guys don't think I need a rod, but shoul replace the reel.
Zooker What reel do you use isthere a certtain model I should get.
Thanks Again for all your help
My grandson is looking forward to going fishing this summer and I want to use things other than worms. But we do have fum looking for them
Thanks
Old 01-07-08, 10:00 AM   #6
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Tracker, welcome to the forum! I hope you and your grandson have a great time fishing!

As far as rods and reels go, you can often find combos at places like walmart, etc that are inexpensive but reasonably good. What I would recommend you do is go to a store and look at some in the price range you can afford, hold them in your hand, then write down the rod and reel names and number of the ones you like. Go home and post the rod/reel info on this thread and everyone will help you decide.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 11:24 AM   #7
Tracker
BassFishin.Com Member

good idea
I will try to do that today
thanks
Old 01-07-08, 01:15 PM   #8
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
good idea
I will try to do that today
thanks
No problem at all. It wasn't very long ago that I was just getting into bass fishing. Without the help and guidance I got from the guys on this site, I don't know where I would be. Good luck and let us know what you find!

WSA
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 07:07 PM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Wait I just re read the posts and You guys don't think I need a rod, but shoul replace the reel.

Zooker What reel do you use isthere a certtain model I should get.
Thanks Again for all your help.
if the reel works good why not use it-you were the one trying to save a buck-

i use 3 differant spinning reels for bass. a mitchell 308xg, a quantum energy pti, and a daiwa steez..
the mitchell is the cheapest -at $60-

imo the new daiwa regal is like $50 and a good reel..

now as for reel size-model- a size 30 to start with for bass you likely need one that has line capactiy of round 150+ yards of 10/12 pound test..

rods and reels are kind of a personal choice and availablity of them in your location..

got to amitt the steez is the second highest price spinning reel i have ever owned..

zooker
Old 01-07-08, 08:31 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Like I said before, Inexpensive Shimano reels like the Sahara and Spirex are good. As well at the Abu Garcia Cardinal 100's. That's what I've used for three years now. Good reel for only like $30-40.

Zook, if the steez is the second most expensive, what the most?! hmm... do I even want to know... My most expensive reel is the Daiwa Viento I got for christmas.

Tracker, The combo's like at Walmart would work good. the Zebco or shakespeare ones are great for beginners. Hope you and your grandson have a great time fishing and catch many good fish.

BB

BB
Old 01-07-08, 08:38 PM   #11
zooker

bb
notice i said "spinning" reel..another daiwa-salty reel..

zooker
Old 01-07-08, 10:18 PM   #12
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For spinning reels you have the following brand names and models -
Shimano - Sienna $29, Sedona $40 Sahara at $45 (on sale).
Abu Garcia - Cardinal 100 is $20 to $30. The 300 is a little more.
Daiwa - Regal 5iA runs around $35
Pflueger -Trion GX-7 at $29-39
Mitchell - the 300 has been made for over 50 years and runs at $39
Quantum - Array $39

Check these out. Everyone has a favorite brand. Head to the local tackle shop first before heading to the Wally Marts. I'm sure they'll be able to answer any questions you have. Some places will spool you up for free.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 01-07-08 at 10:24 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 05:47 PM   #13
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Darn! I just bumped off my Shimano Sedona 4000FB for a couple of lures; I would've let ya have it for $20 bucks if you were looking to get started!

-Lunk-
Old 01-08-08, 10:06 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
bb
notice i said "spinning" reel..another daiwa-salty reel..

zooker
After you said something, I went back and looked. I'm sure I don't even want to know. My most expensive reel is less than half the Steez. Although A friend of ours is going to take my dad and me fishing with him and he's going to let me use his Shimano Calais ($650) Now that's just insane. I'm never going to want to go back to my reels after that.

BB
Old 01-08-08, 10:43 PM   #15
Tracker
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow you guys are great.
I spent some times in the stores yesterday and today.
I have deceided to stay with the rod and reel I have right now. I will replace the line.
I am going to get my grandson a new outfit.
I will post the models I looked at to get your opions on them.
The model reels you guys mentioned in the posts were the ones I was looking at.
Thanks
I will post later tonight or in the morning
You guys are great, thanks so much for all the help. I want to teach my grand son right.
Old 02-14-08, 08:39 PM   #16
Tracker
BassFishin.Com Member

Just an update and another chance to say thanks/
I will be keeping my ugly stick and my Shimano 4000, made a mistake with the reel size in my original post. I have replaced the line that was on it with Suffix Siege 10 pound.
I picked up a Berkeley Lighting rod for my Grandson 6' Medium and put on a Pflueger -Trion GX-7 (thanks 3D) will be putting Suffix Elite 8 or 10 most likely 10. The Trion was on clearance for 9.97. It was combo but something happened to the rod. Either stolen or broken and the store just wanted to get rid of the reel. I also picked up a Johnson Century 200B closed faced spinning reel. 4 dollars and 47 cents, an old reel on close out. I will be putting it on an ugly stick 5 foot bait casting rod with a short handle.
Thanks for all your help. Can't wait til the water is no longer ice.
Old 02-19-08, 09:54 PM   #17
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
welcome to the board..
yes a 6 foot ugly stick spinning rod will work.hell any rod will "work" just some work better than others... zooker

The exact reason so many of us crazy fools have 10+ rods and reels!

-Lunk-
Old 02-20-08, 06:56 PM   #18
pignjig

Tracker, The veterans on this site are pretty fantastic, aren't they? There's not much these rascals won't share. It's an incredible resource. You did great on that Trion. I've had one for about 5 years now and, imo, it's done well. Like most spinning reels, it'll give you some problems if you turn the handle to close the bail. If you get the habit of closing it by hand that thing ought to last a while! Good luck with the hawg haulin'!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.