Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-11, 04:27 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Grand Lake get together is cancelled

All the members who were going to attend the get together spent the last few days discussing whether or not pulling the plug due on the get together due to high water was the right thing to do. We ended up decided it was just unsafe to try and press our luck so we opted not to have our shin dig. We have had tons of rain and some areas that drain into the lake received as much as 8" of rain in the last week. The lake has come up 9 feet in 3 days and is still on the rise, and is not expected to stop coming up until Friday and it is supposed to get 2 feet higher than it already is. I drove over today to look the lake over and without a doubt we made the right decision. There is current in places that I have never seen current. And the lake is full of debris including whole trees. Here are a few pictures I took today.

Here is one of the ramps I planned on using, well actually the ramp begins out there by the dock that you see over 100' from the edge of the water.

Here is a pic of the parking lot at the ramp. Keep in mind that this parking lot is where several big tournaments come out of and there is enough parking for 100 trucks and trailers on the parking lot. Now you might be able to park 6 or 7 trucks and trailers there. The parking lot actually extends over to the trees you see in the water.

I wasn't planning on using this ramp this weekend but I thought I would swing by and take a picture of it anyways.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 04:32 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good call, Kory. There is no chance in risking death or injuries with the water conditions like they are. That is some HIGH water!

Ryan
Old 04-27-11, 04:58 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Man, that sucks you guys had to cancel the get together. That is really high though, makes the KY Lake get together flooding look like nothing.

We've still got plenty of room at the AL get together!

BB
Old 04-27-11, 05:02 PM   #4
bamabassman

great call kory. i was worried aobut you guys. we are getting pounded right now witht eh storms from out ya'lls way. tornados popping up everywhere.

think ya'll could re-route to here next month? jsut a suggestion. we'll find ya'll a place to bunk buddy. understand if it is too far for real though. jsut want to leave the door(s) WIDE OPEN for my fellow brothers in fishing. take care and take cover out there.
Old 04-27-11, 05:04 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
great call kory. i was worried aobut you guys. we are getting pounded right now witht eh storms from out ya'lls way. tornados popping up everywhere.

think ya'll could re-route to here next month? jsut a suggestion. we'll find ya'll a place to bunk buddy. understand if it is too far for real though. jsut want to leave the door(s) WIDE OPEN for my fellow brothers in fishing. take care and take cover out there.
I appreciate the offer guys but honestly a trip like that requires more planning that we can get done in a month now that we have Lake. If we would have known this was going to happen then obviously we would have planned differently but it is what it is and hopefully we can all hook up down the road.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 05:07 PM   #6
bamabassman

BRING THAT BOY WITH YA MAN!! lisa will watch and play with him kory. she can't stay out in the sun much ya know. ya'll jsut say oyu are coming, we'll make it work. i promise. give it a thought for a couple of days. then make up oyur mind. we'll find oyu a place to sleep.........even if it is in BRYCES BOAT!!! hahahaha, the way he has it rigged, there will probably be a kitchen sink there by may, BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

MESSING WIT CHA BRYCE OL BUDDY.
Old 04-27-11, 06:15 PM   #7
Jrob78

Man, you guys were right. We definitely made the right call. I'm sick that this thing fell apart, we will have to try again in the fall.

I am getting ready to leave for Kansas. I'm going to meet up with ProReel and Tavery and try to get a few days of fishing in. It's not going to be the same without the whole gang but I'm sure we will have a great time. Hopefully we will have lots of pics to post when we get back.
Old 04-27-11, 06:36 PM   #8
Bassboss

Darn, that's a rea; bummer guys, ya definitly made the right call though. Hope ya'll can get another trip rescheduled this year.
Old 04-28-11, 12:14 AM   #9
66KingFisher

Well, thats too bad guys.....I had been worried about that happening, since I knew that area had been getting as much if not more rain then we've been getting down here, and we've been hammered with rain.

Hopefully we'll all get together at some point, and we'll make up for this missed event.
Old 04-28-11, 06:48 AM   #10
keithdog

That is a shame that you all had to cancel your get together. But safety is rule one, and no one wants any harm to come to anyone. Plus the fishin would probably suck as well. It's ben a very tough spring for all you guys in the south this year. I was just reading about the deaths in AL yesterday. It's all very sad.
Old 04-28-11, 10:10 AM   #11
walkeraviator

I feel your guys pain. We have lakes over 30 ft above summer pool. One lake is so high it has reached the emergency spillway and can longer be held. They are warning people downstream that the water is comin their way.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.