Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-07, 01:54 PM   #1
foxman06
BassFishin.Com Member

Default new to baitcasting...

hello, i am 15 and have been fishing a good portion of my life. I live on a lake, so i am constantly out there. I am looking into getting a good beginner baitcaster. My uncle, and avid fisherman, pointed me toward the Abu Garcia 5000-10000 series. But those are kind of expensive. i was at Wal-Mart earlier today and saw a Pinnacle Solene. i looked at it, it seemed very nice, anti-reverse and everything. i was wondering if that is a good reel? If not other ones? Is a berkley cherrywood a good pole? Currently i use a zebco 33 platinum and a cherrywood 5'6" with 10 lb. im looking for a reel between 50-100$ thanks !!!
foxman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 02:09 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

welcome to the board... as for a good baitcasters i think the orange pinnacle reel at wally world (not sure of the model of the reel) is a very good buy for 48 dollars. As for a rod a berkley lightning rod or a cherrywood rod is a good deal for the money. A good all around bass rod is a 6-6 medium or medium heavy rod that will handle most conditions... as for line i would start with a 12 or 14 lb. trilene xt in green. hope this helps...

Ryan
Old 06-27-07, 02:16 PM   #3
foxman06
BassFishin.Com Member

^^^ yes thats the reel im talking about, its the solene it was like 48.98 or something.. so its a good reel for a beginner or would something like the abu garcia revo s (99.99$) be better for a first timer?
foxman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 02:28 PM   #4
rrw4258

if you can afford it get the revo, i have heard good things about it... though i dont know, all my reels are either quantum or shimano... so yes i would get the revo if i could afford it, but if not get the solene... when it comes to reels, you get what u pay for...

Ryan
Old 06-27-07, 02:29 PM   #5
rrw4258

btw, i am 15 as well, and currently own 5 baitcasting rod/reels, and once you get the hang of it, it is so much fun and easy.
Old 06-27-07, 07:53 PM   #6
foxman06
BassFishin.Com Member

cool! I definately think about the revo. More posts please, i need to know soon..
Old 06-27-07, 08:27 PM   #7
James O.
BassFishin.Com Member

You may want to check out the Quantum Accurist AC500CX Baitcasting Reel. Its 79.99 at Cabelas. You can find them used on ebay for around 50dollars. This is a very easy reel to learn on and it is a good reel also. Has a flippin swith and good cast control.
James O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 02:05 AM   #8
FlyRod

Foxman,

As a longtime baitcaster and a lifetime fisherman, were I to offer advice it would be as follows;
Always buy the best you can, from the very beginning. There are limits, of course, but there are also "plateaus" so far as tackle quality and performance is concerned.
You mentioned a price range of up to one hundred dollars for the reel alone. That allows you to skip the "entry level" reels and own a reel that, with proper care, should serve you well for years to come.
BassProShops offers the Extreme Reel (green) for 79.99. This reel has been constantly improved over the years and might be a good choice. It is offered in three different gear ratios, but I'd recommend the 6.4 (3?) to 1 as the most versatile. If you plan to mostly throw spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, toads (the buzz type, not the grass frogs,) and lipless cranks, such as RatLTraps, the 7 to 1 might be the better choice.
Also, if you check their website, BassPro is currently offering the Rick Clunn model (Blue) for the same price as the Extreme. This is also a good reel for the money. Downside; it weighs a little more than the green Extreme. This may not sound important now, but time and experience will prove to you that lightness is next to Godliness...trust me.
There are other makes and models out there that are splendid reels for the money.
Cabela's is offering a small rebate on all the Abu-Garcia REVO models, to include a 15 buck rebate on the model made only for Cabela's, the REVO SC (Red). This reel is made only in 7 to 1 gearing. I own one and plan to own more soon...GREAT REEL if you want the higher speed. Basically, the only type of lure that doesn't match well to a 7:1 is the large-billed deep crankbaits.
Even with the rebate, you'll be a notch over 100 bux, unless you buy the least expensive REVO, but it would be a real deal in any event.
Remember, Foxy, you (usually) get what you pay for.
Were I you I'd pass on the lower-priced reels. They are poles apart from the ones I've mentioned so far as smoothness, casting capability (especially with light lures), and dependability.
Rods; Well, again, you get what you pay for.
It's true that the Lighting Rod, especially the Hank Parker model, is an amazing rod for the money. I used them for years until I upgraded to Falcon Lowriders, Team AllStars, St.Croix Avids, Kistler LTAs, and so on.
Whatever you opt for, choose the power (M, MH, etc.) based on what the primary use will be. Choose the action (Slow, Fast, etc.) accordingly as well.
As a general rule, a "beginner" who hopes to throw soft plastics in the 3/16-1/2 oz weight range, spinnerbaits to 1/2 oz, large topwaters, and jigs will benefit from a 6'6" MedHvy/Fast Action. This will also allow effective use of the larger lipless cranks...RatLTraps and such.
Be sure and check for the combo price on the Rick Clunn Reel and Matching rods!
Foxito, there is some "bad" news to be related too. You see, while virtually any combo will do one or two things very well, and maybe one other thing tolerably well, NO combo will do everything well, or even decently. This is why you must clearly identify the main application for whatever you buy BEFORE you buy.
Sooner than you might think, you'll be adding to your array of weapons. You'll be buying another combo for different applications than the original one was intended for. Might as well get used to the idea.

Good Luck, and always buy the best you can.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 09:34 AM   #9
foxman06
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Foxman,

As a longtime baitcaster and a lifetime fisherman, were I to offer advice it would be as follows;
Always buy the best you can, from the very beginning. There are limits, of course, but there are also "plateaus" so far as tackle quality and performance is concerned.
You mentioned a price range of up to one hundred dollars for the reel alone. That allows you to skip the "entry level" reels and own a reel that, with proper care, should serve you well for years to come.
BassProShops offers the Extreme Reel (green) for 79.99. This reel has been constantly improved over the years and might be a good choice. It is offered in three different gear ratios, but I'd recommend the 6.4 (3?) to 1 as the most versatile. If you plan to mostly throw spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, toads (the buzz type, not the grass frogs,) and lipless cranks, such as RatLTraps, the 7 to 1 might be the better choice.
Also, if you check their website, BassPro is currently offering the Rick Clunn model (Blue) for the same price as the Extreme. This is also a good reel for the money. Downside; it weighs a little more than the green Extreme. This may not sound important now, but time and experience will prove to you that lightness is next to Godliness...trust me.
There are other makes and models out there that are splendid reels for the money.
Cabela's is offering a small rebate on all the Abu-Garcia REVO models, to include a 15 buck rebate on the model made only for Cabela's, the REVO SC (Red). This reel is made only in 7 to 1 gearing. I own one and plan to own more soon...GREAT REEL if you want the higher speed. Basically, the only type of lure that doesn't match well to a 7:1 is the large-billed deep crankbaits.
Even with the rebate, you'll be a notch over 100 bux, unless you buy the least expensive REVO, but it would be a real deal in any event.
Remember, Foxy, you (usually) get what you pay for.
Were I you I'd pass on the lower-priced reels. They are poles apart from the ones I've mentioned so far as smoothness, casting capability (especially with light lures), and dependability.
Rods; Well, again, you get what you pay for.
It's true that the Lighting Rod, especially the Hank Parker model, is an amazing rod for the money. I used them for years until I upgraded to Falcon Lowriders, Team AllStars, St.Croix Avids, Kistler LTAs, and so on.
Whatever you opt for, choose the power (M, MH, etc.) based on what the primary use will be. Choose the action (Slow, Fast, etc.) accordingly as well.
As a general rule, a "beginner" who hopes to throw soft plastics in the 3/16-1/2 oz weight range, spinnerbaits to 1/2 oz, large topwaters, and jigs will benefit from a 6'6" MedHvy/Fast Action. This will also allow effective use of the larger lipless cranks...RatLTraps and such.
Be sure and check for the combo price on the Rick Clunn Reel and Matching rods!
Foxito, there is some "bad" news to be related too. You see, while virtually any combo will do one or two things very well, and maybe one other thing tolerably well, NO combo will do everything well, or even decently. This is why you must clearly identify the main application for whatever you buy BEFORE you buy.
Sooner than you might think, you'll be adding to your array of weapons. You'll be buying another combo for different applications than the original one was intended for. Might as well get used to the idea.

Good Luck, and always buy the best you can.

FR
WOW! thanks for that time and energy put into my question FlyRod. I live on a relatively large lake during the summer months and fish small mouth bass. if that helps, like you said buy the best you can, but i just dont want to make a mistake buying something. As im am only 15 and dont have a job. This is a whole summer worth of savings here. i will look into BPS reels like you said. but it is hard here in maine, there arent any BPS's around that i have seen. There is a Joe Jone's sport shop that is going out of business though... 40% off, but... anyway ill look at those reels. THANKS!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.