Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-04-09, 04:42 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What is your favorite catfish bait?

So far I’ve only used nightcrawlers and stink bait. The stink bait is those little cylinder shaped blood, chicken blood, etc that you can pick up at Wal-Mart in a bag. I’ve been using treble hooks with both baits.

Any suggestions for different baits and techniques?
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 04:59 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

REAL chicken liver wrapped in used nylons. cut a 2 inch square, wrap the liver in it. cast it out. nuff. i HATE catfishing, lol.
Old 06-04-09, 05:12 PM   #3
jig fisherman

Any fish that is smelly and oily,like herring
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 05:48 PM   #4
JB

if ya lip a channel cat will it chomp down on your fingers hard or is it not so bad? we caught a big one at ky lake and I know how to hold onto them from the back and sides of those fins, but have remembered once putting my hand in a big cats mouth and it clamped down on me. I've also tried to get my fingers under its gill plate but they tend to keep them clamped down too.
I've really never cat fished but have caught my share of 5-7 pounders mostly on spinnerbaits, and they seem like a bytch to get unhooked?
any seasoned mr whiskers anglers on here that can help with some info? thanks
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 05:53 PM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

They might clamp down on you, JB, but it's usually not too bad. They'll let go after a minute. Don't snatch your hand out, because they have thousands of tiny sharp teeth pointing inwards...you'll lose every bit of skin on your hand if you jerk it out.

When I used to go hand-grabbing (or noodling, whichever you want to call it), that's how we'd get the bigger ones. You stick your fist into their face, they'd get pissed and bite it, sometimes all the way up to your elbow. Then work your fingers onto its lower jaw and haul it out. Once it was in the boat, I'd sometimes have to pry its mouth open to retrieve my hand.
Old 06-04-09, 06:03 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Yeah, they clamp on ya pretty good, but not hard enough to hurt as long as you have a whole finger in his mouth. The fun thing we used to do though is hold one up to a buddy who isn't paying attention just enough so his lips touch the skin. If he clamps down, it pinches the bejeezus out of ya.
Old 06-04-09, 06:16 PM   #7
cassidyta

As far as bait goes, I usually have the best luck with cut mackeral. But I have also gone with a pack of hotdogs that I let sit out in the sun.
Old 06-04-09, 06:50 PM   #8
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
They might clamp down on you, JB, but it's usually not too bad. They'll let go after a minute. Don't snatch your hand out, because they have thousands of tiny sharp teeth pointing inwards...you'll lose every bit of skin on your hand if you jerk it out.

When I used to go hand-grabbing (or noodling, whichever you want to call it), that's how we'd get the bigger ones. You stick your fist into their face, they'd get pissed and bite it, sometimes all the way up to your elbow. Then work your fingers onto its lower jaw and haul it out. Once it was in the boat, I'd sometimes have to pry its mouth open to retrieve my hand.

man thats hard core!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 07:29 PM   #9
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post

When I used to go hand-grabbing (or noodling, whichever you want to call it),
Anybody that goes noodling is a man in my book. I would love to watch it in person sometime.

For catfish bait we use chicken livers and shrimp. Both work good.
Old 06-04-09, 10:15 PM   #10
bamabassman

yea jb, ssippi's "noodling" also comes with an after thught. SOMETIMES they don't get a cat. sometimes it can be a snake or a gator or something else. the stories i have heard..................
Old 06-05-09, 09:55 AM   #11
cassidyta

My grandmother taught me noodling. It is fun until you find a big one. We were at smith mountain lake one summer, I don't know the exact year, but it was late 80's. I recall reaching into a hole near the dam and feeling the edge of a cat's mouth. I moved my hand along the edge of th emouth trying to find the center. I have no idea how big this fish was, but I never reached the other side of the mouth.
Admitedly, I was a young lad in my teens, but when the mouth was bigger than my right arm, I got a little scared and decided it was better to swim away.
That day was my last noodling experience. I will gladly turn in my man card and admit that I don't have the "Brass" to do it.
Old 06-05-09, 10:35 AM   #12
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
My grandmother taught me noodling. It is fun until you find a big one. We were at smith mountain lake one summer, I don't know the exact year, but it was late 80's. I recall reaching into a hole near the dam and feeling the edge of a cat's mouth. I moved my hand along the edge of th emouth trying to find the center. I have no idea how big this fish was, but I never reached the other side of the mouth.
Admitedly, I was a young lad in my teens, but when the mouth was bigger than my right arm, I got a little scared and decided it was better to swim away.
That day was my last noodling experience. I will gladly turn in my man card and admit that I don't have the "Brass" to do it.
I hear ya, I don't either
Cass, me and the Bassinbandit fish SML all the time. We go early or we go late, during the day the boat traffic is terrible. Good fishing tho.
Old 06-05-09, 01:34 PM   #13
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Catfish will bite just about anything. About 2 months ago, my dad cast an empty hook with a bullet weight on the line. He was resolving an issue wih the line. He called it an issue. It looked like a heck of a backlash to me. But anyway, as he was reeling it in he got a bite. End result was a 6 pound catfish caught on a hook with no bait. Dumb fish!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 02:57 PM   #14
REDBULLCUBAN

Send a message via AIM to REDBULLCUBAN

When i used to catfish alot up north i used whats called magic bait

http://www.magicbait.com/mm5/merchan...CubedDoughBait

went with the chicken liver still had the lovely smell haha but when you use these or if you use these, a latex glove is a must. This smell is a pain to get off.
Old 06-05-09, 04:04 PM   #15
chislerp
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to chislerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
So far I’ve only used nightcrawlers and stink bait. The stink bait is those little cylinder shaped blood, chicken blood, etc that you can pick up at Wal-Mart in a bag. I’ve been using treble hooks with both baits.

Any suggestions for different baits and techniques?

Well, what type of water are you fishing? Are you fishing in a lake, pond or river? Also what type of catfish are you after?
Old 06-07-09, 01:23 PM   #16
weezymagic

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

i have always used hotdogs, small fish (herring, goldfish, etc), and those chicken liver bags from walmart.
Hotdogs have always won.
Old 06-07-09, 03:12 PM   #17
1/4 stick

I have yet to try it, but I read somewhere about poking holes in a can of dog food and lowering it to the bottom with fishing line to use as chum. Then just fish with livers, cut bait, or make your own.

I've caught a few with this before, except indtead of the liver and cheese this guy used, I used chicken liver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZezTxJQybY
Old 06-10-09, 11:32 AM   #18
bassnman30

Default Your favorite catfish bait

Shad.
Cut up, don't use it tail.
Old 06-11-09, 07:03 PM   #19
syd

Last year near Williamsburg we caught them on eel. Take one cut it into about 3 pieces. Doesn't matter which piece and you have to cut them off your hook to change bait.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:20 PM   #20
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Cut shad or herring. Chicken liver if your after catfish (wrap it in magic thread to keep it on the hook).
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 08:32 PM   #21
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Ask bassboss. He has a technique so incredible, even if he doesn't catch anything, he still goes home whistlin the theme from the andy griffith show
Old 06-15-09, 10:50 PM   #22
TBone66
BassFishin.Com Member

I use bait called hoss's hawg's. I'm pretty sure it is only sold around here in central Illinois becuase the guy that makes it, makes it out of his garage and sells it at the local Gandermountain and Dick's sporting goods. But if you can find it get some because i have used it with some great results.
TBone66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.