Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-17-09, 07:57 PM   #1
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Painting your bullet weights.

Okay, many will find this excessive. But I like to give my black t-rigged worms a matching hat. And it only takes 10 minutes.
I take a paint rolling tray (1$ or less) and a can of plastic paint, plastikote or something similar(5$). Punch a hole in each end of the tray and tie it off on each end with my weights strung in between.

I give them a light coat and let them sit 5 minutes. After that I give them half a turn and repeat. It works well enough for me like that. The paint resists scratches pretty well but those who want added durability could use a second coat. Thats it.

I found hanging them is better than standing them up because the plastic tends to tear when you pull them away after they dry and the paint will sometimes fill the holes.
There are probably better ways, but for me this is fast and keeps the mess under control. There are other colors that can be used instead of black. I have some that are red and orange also.

Last edited by vabeachbass; 06-18-09 at 08:20 AM.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 08:05 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I took a board and put a bunch of wood screws all the way through it. Twist the weight down on the point of the screw and go to town. It doesn't mess up the paint and holds it in place. I do the powderpaint and this works extremely well for baking the paint on.
Old 06-17-09, 08:51 PM   #3
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Absolutely not excessive at all. I buy painted weights whenever possible. Green pumpkin and watermelon work great for most baits.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-09, 10:13 PM   #4
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a piece of foam and toothpicks. Then I raid my daughters fingernail polish, put a color coat and then a clear coat. They seem to last for awhile this way. Even put a few sparkle colors on to add some flash.
Old 06-17-09, 10:15 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

lol, I use plain lead weights.

BB
Old 06-18-09, 09:56 AM   #6
everettvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I took a board and put a bunch of wood screws all the way through it. Twist the weight down on the point of the screw and go to town. It doesn't mess up the paint and holds it in place. I do the powderpaint and this works extremely well for baking the paint on.
How long do you bake them for and at what temp? I didn't know if the wood posed a problem in the baking process.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 12:13 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
How long do you bake them for and at what temp? I didn't know if the wood posed a problem in the baking process.
I dunno about him, but the longer and lower temp make a more durable finish! For example, if you bake one on 400* for 30mins, and bake an other on 200* for 2 hours, than the one on the lower temp and longer time, will be more durable
Old 06-18-09, 01:19 PM   #8
everettvet

Bassboss,
Thanks for the info! I have not gotten into the powder paint and the process that much. I will have to see if Kevin has a video on the subject. I plan on that being a winter time project. I hope things slow down a bit by then. Between working 6 days a week, on call 50% of the time, t-ball with Allen 2 nights a week and spending time with my five month old, Anna Grace, and yes working in a fishing trip when I can it does not leave much time for anything! As I re-read what I wrote, it makes me sleepy thinking about it!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 02:10 PM   #9
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
I have not gotten into the powder paint and the process that much. I will have to see if Kevin has a video on the subject.
We sure do. We show you how to use powder paint and bake cookies....err.. jigheads.

Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 03:51 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I dunno about him, but the longer and lower temp make a more durable finish! For example, if you bake one on 400* for 30mins, and bake an other on 200* for 2 hours, than the one on the lower temp and longer time, will be more durable
bassboss is right, but no need to bake for nearly that long. to cure powderpaint, I use 250* for about 30 minutes. much higher of a temperature and you'll get drips or bumps.

BB
Old 06-18-09, 05:50 PM   #11
Bassboss

No prob! I've never done it, but will get around to it! I did a lot of research on it though, learned a lot! And like BB said, no need to do it for that long, just trying yo make a point! 200* for 1 hour is good that will keep it rock solid, but if you don't fish rocks much, than 250 for 30 is fine!
Old 06-18-09, 07:03 PM   #12
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

woow - and I was thinking I'd get laughed at - I gather the baked powdercoat is about as durable as it gets. Great info.
Old 06-18-09, 08:40 PM   #13
BassinID

nope, I know a guy that powder coats his tungsten weights with Teflon at a friends shop used to bake Teflon on to rifle barrels. , now that is tough!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 12:20 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
I think it is 350 for 45 minutes-it is on the powder paint jar. No problem with the wood.
Old 06-19-09, 06:33 AM   #15
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

I've never heard of painting things. What does it do?
Old 06-19-09, 08:39 AM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
If you have a pain unpainted bullet weight, and a black worm, than it's good to have a black, or darker colored bullet weight! It looks more natural to the bass.
Old 06-19-09, 09:25 AM   #17
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
Depends on who you talk to. I've been using non-painted lead wts. for years and I really can't tell much, if any, difference between painted and non-painted wts. Having said that though, I will sprinkle a little water into a package of new lead worm wts seal the package back up and let them set a few days to get the shine off them before using them though.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 10:59 AM   #18
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Truthfully - I can't argue that. But presentation is paramount and anything that could help (within reason), I'll do. Other than that, think of it as a nicotine patch for the bait monkey.
Old 06-19-09, 11:14 AM   #19
BigBassin144

I personally haven't noticed any difference btw painted and non-painted weights. but as most things in fishing, it comes down to confidence. So if you think you'll catch more fish on a painted one, you probably will.

BB
Old 06-19-09, 11:16 AM   #20
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

vabeachbass,

after painting them black, overcoat once or twice with NYC brand nail polish using the 102A color called white lights glitter. It's less than a buck at the smaller wal marts and at target. When overcoated on black, it makes an electric blue glitter with a black background. I'm sure you will like the effect. Gives the effect somewhat akin to scales. thanks for posting your technique....
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 12:32 PM   #21
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I personally haven't noticed any difference btw painted and non-painted weights. but as most things in fishing, it comes down to confidence. So if you think you'll catch more fish on a painted one, you probably will.

BB
Agreed 100% BB! I personally have confidence in painted weights, I don't think it makes much a difference if any! I use them when ever I can!
Old 06-19-09, 12:45 PM   #22
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

I just use a black or brown or whatever color sharpie and touch it up as needed. Takes a couple of seconds and I still have 6 different color sharpies I bought 2 years ago for about $5
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.