Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-11-11, 02:26 PM   #1
keggs17
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Square bill cranks

hey fellas, whats the deal with the new kvd square bill cranks? Why are these new cranks so special???
keggs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 02:37 PM   #2
Marc David
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Mainly because they are endorsed by KVD himself. But they are some good little cranks for the price.
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 05:47 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

According to KVD they don't run in a straight line. They kind of dart a little off to the side and then back. He said similar to the older balsa baits.

I'm pretty sure Kim Stricker did an episode of "Hook 'n Look" on Lake St. Clair and they used the 1.5's and 2.5's in shallow water. I would try to watch that to see if KVD is right.

**Disclaimer** KVD talked about them at his brothers store (D&R Sports) at the annual Easter show he puts on.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 05:54 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've personally never used them, but I think the reason they've been so popular is because KVD won the classic on them and it has KVD on the box, so some assume it's the magic lure that's gonna fill their live well. I'm sure it's a great bait and catches fish. But lures are tools, and like tool, no one tool will get the job done.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-11-11, 05:55 PM   #5
bamabassman

square bills bounce off of timber and such much better too. great for dragging over rocks, limbs and such.
Old 05-11-11, 06:57 PM   #6
keithdog

Square bills are shallow runners which makes them ideal for working around and bouncing off shallow water structures such as logs, stumsp, rocks, pier supports, submerged Buicks, etc.
Old 05-11-11, 08:05 PM   #7
walkeraviator

I buy em because I like strike king lures. I have never had quality issues, i love the color patterns, and i think they have killer action. These new square bills really do hunt around instead of just coming straight back to the boat. Any suare bill can be erratic when bounding off cover... that is what they are designed to do. BUt these things are all over the place coming through open water. Even without his name on em, I would buy them over say a Mad N or Bomber square bill any day.

Now if I could get them to make one in the size of e series 4-5 that only went to about 8 feet deep like a series 3..... that would be dynamite.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 08:39 PM   #8
rrw4258

I also am a huge Strike King fan... always have been. I love their crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and especially their plastics. The 1.5 and 2.5 crankbaits are by far the best shallow crankbait I have ever used. It has pretty much taken over my shallow cranking arsenal this spring.

Keith, as for the SUBMERGED BUICK crack.... easy now!! I drive an 01 Lesabre... a way underrated car when modified. It will hold it;s own out there!

Ryan
Old 05-12-11, 03:31 PM   #9
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I also am a huge Strike King fan... always have been. I love their crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and especially their plastics. The 1.5 and 2.5 crankbaits are by far the best shallow crankbait I have ever used. It has pretty much taken over my shallow cranking arsenal this spring.

Keith, as for the SUBMERGED BUICK crack.... easy now!! I drive an 01 Lesabre... a way underrated car when modified. It will hold it;s own out there!

Ryan
If properly sank they make great cover. The buick not the baits.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 04:53 PM   #10
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keggs17 View Post
hey fellas, whats the deal with the new kvd square bill cranks? Why are these new cranks so special???
I've been using the RC's for a couple years now and they've been very good baits. The pro's have been catching fish on them too and LC pretty much had the market on them. I know Bandit 100's, Strike King 4s, and others have been around for a while but the RC body shape has a wider wiggle and moves a lot of water. Strike King moved into to the market with their version (and I have concerns that Strike King is copying Berkley's marketing plan). Lucky Strike has one too. Academy was first to knock it off as well.

Now are they better than the others or special??? I'll have to fish with one and compare and see if they catch more fish.

I do know that I've outfished the "Banjo Minnow" with an RC.....
Old 05-13-11, 12:22 AM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have never really used square bills. I bounce the rounds off the wood pretty well for me though. And we have a lot of clear water. I have always heard the squares don't fair as well in the clear water. But prove me wrong if you will. I guess it is a confidence thing.
Old 05-13-11, 12:20 PM   #12
walkeraviator

I agree on Gin clear water. If it gets that clear, i throw shadrap's
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 01:27 PM   #13
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Proof that they work just fine in Gin clear water.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=27590
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:36 PM   #14
3dkicker

I use them on the radiated mudhole that I fish....normal visibility in the mid lake area is 6' and as deep as 12' towards the dam and I still catch them on the square bill.
Old 05-14-11, 01:20 AM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Good enough for me. I might give them a try next time I am out and about.
Old 05-15-11, 03:36 PM   #16
keggs17
BassFishin.Com Member

Alright thanks fellas, although they still seem almost exactly the same as a shallow crank to me. And wow CamG those are some porkers, what lake did u fish?
keggs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 03:42 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Keggs, they really aren't too much different from a shallow crank. The square bill helps them deflect cover better than other bill shapes.

Unfortunately, and not voluntarily, I got half a dozen of the KVD cranks (Now I guess I'm just one of those people who buys whatever KVD wins on, LOL ). I threw one in my pond yesterday for a few minuted to check out their ability to hunt.

Surprisingly, they do. It's very subtle and you have to watch closely for it, but they do track slightly back and forth on a moderately fast retrieve. I couldn't get them to do it, or notice them doing it anyways, at a slower retrieve.

We'll see how they do in AL...

BB
Old 06-02-11, 04:01 PM   #18
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with Marc and Bigbassin144. They do seem, for me, to produce when nothing else will. For example, pre-spawn this year the fish seemed to go completely lethargic. I tied the 1.5 sexy shad and within 30 min had 2 fish. One weighed 6.4lbs. They do run eratically and run well thru cover. Great shallow water crankbait.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.