Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-01-11, 04:25 PM   #1
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation What's wrong with this lake???

Well when it comes to worm fishing or throwing a KVD 1.5 or even a drop shot, I can do pretty well on most of the lakes that I currently live near. Big lakes such as Hartwell and Russell and Clarks Hill are just a few. Now there's this one little, 300 acre lake that i cannot figure out. It's apart of the Saluda River chain and the river runs right in one end and out the other off of a dam that sits in about 30ft. The fish here seem to be a little slower in making any changes compared to the other bodies of water. I know from stories from locals that bigggg fish come out every week. The current water temps are around 78 at the dam and 74 at the river. I love to flip and pitch and worm fishing is my specialty but I just cant seem to get the hang of it. Any advice???
Old 06-01-11, 09:40 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Have you heard what the locals are catching those big bass on? What kind of cover is available to the fish? Is it a weedy lake or is there a lack of weeds and cover?
Old 06-02-11, 12:12 AM   #3
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

Copy cat? Just kidding lol nice name
BassMan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 02:17 AM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

While this may be against anything you would want to do I would say tie on a shiner. This should at least help you find some fish. Then you can switch over to a bait that you want to catch them on. I wrote a report last week about not getting a fish during a tourney, so I really can't give you a direct answer.
Old 06-02-11, 06:10 AM   #5
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Been going through the same thing here, myself in western NC. Listening to the locals would have one believing that the fish just jump in the boat. Tried again yesterday, left the mortgage payment crank baits, spinners etc in the box and went back to basics (not shiners, good idea, though). Black 7" Culprit worm. Pitch to likely spots on the bank and drag it off into deeper water. For some reason that seemed to work. Finally got some bass in the boat. If you have confidence in a method USE IT!!! Also, I think it's how you hold your mouth. Hoping to fish Hartwell in a couple of weeks with my old first sgt. from the army. Never been there, any ideas where to start?
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 02:43 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

2 search lures i use in new ponds or small lakes: 1/2oz rattle trap, T-rig (i like a Mag II zoom worm). 1st covers a lot of water and can be fished throughout the water column, 2nd slows down and can be even slowly swam to catch some fish. Just stick with it, you'll get em.
Old 06-02-11, 03:57 PM   #7
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys! And Keith from what ive heard its all jigs and buzzbaits and ive thrown both and cant do near the damage. I love jig fishing and is now my favorite way to catch a good bag. There is no grass in the lake as far as i can tell. Its very overfished by crappie fisherman and its over 100 years old. Most docks are really old. I do ok on a trick worm and Kvd 1.5 but never over a 10 pound bag like all the other tourney people. Im actually fishing a tournament in 2 hrs with a friend on this lake and im gonna put my pitchin skills to the test. My friend is more experienced than i am and says he might have something figured out.

Top Tiger, Hartwell is my favorite lake to fish. This time of year is mostly topwater on deep points for largemouth. Now in Hartwell, spotted bass are in large supply. Maybe not the biggest spots but certainly fun on narrow deep point c-rigging finese worms on the outsides of creeks. If i could choose 2 places to launch ur boat i would choose HUrricane Creek or 18 mile creek. Both are pretty easy to find coming from NC on 85. Good luck!
Old 06-03-11, 10:43 AM   #8
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Well we didnt have enough people show up last night :P I guess the threat of T-storms scared everybody. I did fish a little and realized that i should start throwing a trick worm more often. I caught 4 and a couple misses. Biggest was 2# 14oz.
Old 06-05-11, 12:37 AM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've gotta agree with Aiken. I'd just try covering as much water as you can with what every you have confidence in. When you catch a fish, make a note of water temp, current, depth, cover/structure, etc. If ya catch a few more in similar situations, chances are you're getting a pattern worked out.

I'm still pretty new to the lake stuff (I've always been a pond guy), but sounds like they're in post spawn judging by the water temp. So chances are the bigggg bass they were catching were spawners. Find deeper structure near spawning flats, fish what you have confidence in. 'round here by word of dock talk they've been hitting frogs in weeds (mats and pads), and they're justing getting into post spawn here.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.