Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 08-18-13, 04:47 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Potomac Snakehead

Our weekend on Mattawoman Cr. (Potomac tributary) was pretty much a bust as far as fish catching goes. EXTREMELY slow, miserable would be a better word. The bass just would not play, but Doc Irv did manage our best snakehead catch to date. I had it until Sunday when he managed to land this one and knock me out of the top spot. This one went 8.2 lbs, AND we got to eat it. Anyone that has not tasted this fish and it just tossing them back in the water with a slit belly is MISSING SOME GREAT TABEL FARE. It was very tasty, a mild white flesh - we were lucky and found a place willing to fry some up for us. Breaded and spiced, then pan seared it was delicious.

I won't be tossing ANY back but will need a small cooler that will hold ice for several days. Oh, one funny (interesting) thing about these beasts - after Doc had it in his kayak, we transferred it in the cooler I carry. It was in the cooler TWO hours, no water or ice, before we got to our chef's place and he put it in his refrigerator to cool the fish before fileting it - THREE more hours. When he took it out to filet, YES IT WAS STILL ALIVE - AMAZING.

They may be ugly, but they sure are tasty.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 05:26 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Our weekend on Mattawoman Cr. (Potomac tributary) was pretty much a bust as far as fish catching goes. EXTREMELY slow, miserable would be a better word. The bass just would not play, but Doc Irv did manage our best snakehead catch to date. I had it until Sunday when he managed to land this one and knock me out of the top spot. This one went 8.2 lbs, AND we got to eat it. Anyone that has not tasted this fish and it just tossing them back in the water with a slit belly is MISSING SOME GREAT TABEL FARE. It was very tasty, a mild white flesh - we were lucky and found a place willing to fry some up for us. Breaded and spiced, then pan seared it was delicious.

I won't be tossing ANY back but will need a small cooler that will hold ice for several days. Oh, one funny (interesting) thing about these beasts - after Doc had it in his kayak, we transferred it in the cooler I carry. It was in the cooler TWO hours, no water or ice, before we got to our chef's place and he put it in his refrigerator to cool the fish before fileting it - THREE more hours. When he took it out to filet, YES IT WAS STILL ALIVE - AMAZING.

They may be ugly, but they sure are tasty.
I remember once I kept a catfish in the sink all night and when I woke up, it was still exhibiting signs of life. Total craziness. Trout and bass are looking at dying if you keep them out 1-2 minutes...but some fish are just possessed.
Old 08-18-13, 06:15 PM   #3
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I remember once I kept a catfish in the sink all night and when I woke up, it was still exhibiting signs of life. Total craziness. Trout and bass are looking at dying if you keep them out 1-2 minutes...but some fish are just possessed.
A true RIVER MONSTER.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 08:17 PM   #4
bassboogieman

River monster? This was a wee one compared to the recent record snakehead caught in the Potomac earlier this year. It was just over 18 pounds. Reports are circulating that the bow hunters have brought one in at just over 20 pounds. The bow hunters go after them at night with lights and a bow shot 'head does not qualify for the angling record books. But I don't think it will be very long before a 20 pounder is landed on rod & reel. THAT, is a "river monster".

They are so abundant now, it's not difficult to catch one just about every day on the water. We saw dozens breaking the surface, but it seems very difficult to get those fish to bite. But if one is just laying around contemplating the evening's episode of Jeopardy and you drop a bait near it's head it will likely eat it. Either in a big splash as the lure hits the water or you will see a wake rise behind you bait - it's difficult in the later instance to maintain your cool until the fish strikes. Either way it's awesome fishing.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 06:30 AM   #5
docirv
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to docirv

Bruce, you ready to go back for some more.... I am!!!
Old 08-19-13, 09:28 AM   #6
lilmule

Maybe watched to many sci fi movies,but can just see one of those 20 ders when young are near and protective,eating its way into your yak,to get lunch and your it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 09:48 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Battling one of those brutes is on my bucket list! One of these day for sure. Nice catch Doc!
Old 08-21-13, 09:56 PM   #8
3dkicker

Heading out to battle some tomorrow. Hopefully they're interested in playing. Can't wait to see if I can get some General Tso's Snakehead on my way home!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.