Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-24-13, 04:42 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Splitshot Rig

Ok I have for sometime now heard about this setup.
I've done my usual 'research' and still have questions.

Is this any-one's 'go to rig'?

Why do you anglers feel it works better/worse than just plain weightless?

Do you guys rig using a straight stick bait or better with a fork tail worm or curly tail worm or thumper tail worm or other?

Do you anglers ever rig creatures or lizards this way or just worms?

Finally the vast majority say to use clam shell split shots as opposed to the straight circular shot. I'm told this setup is more weedless.
With clam pinchers I would think it would gather more vegetation than a cylinder type not less.

So anglers what do you think about this setup?
Figure we don't hear pros using it much cause there is no money to be made from lure makers. Doesn't mean they are not using it though.

So lets hear your thoughts and any advice you may have on using the rig. Like when and why?
Old 05-24-13, 05:45 AM   #2
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ok I have for sometime now heard about this setup.
I've done my usual 'research' and still have questions.

Is this any-one's 'go to rig'? I don't always have one on deck if that's what you mean by go to, but I will definately add a split shot to the weightless worm that I do have on deck if I need to.

Why do you anglers feel it works better/worse than just plain weightless?
I will rig up a split shot rig for beginners or children so they'll have something to "feel" as they're fishing.
Weightless worming can be very time consuming so I'll add a shot in water that's deep or if it's windy.

Do you guys rig using a straight stick bait or better with a fork tail worm or curly tail worm or thumper tail worm or other? I've used everything in the box but 99% of the time it's a small straight finesse like a Zoom or Robo.

Do you anglers ever rig creatures or lizards this way or just worms? Rarely

Finally the vast majority say to use clam shell split shots as opposed to the straight circular shot. I'm told this setup is more weedless.
With clam pinchers I would think it would gather more vegetation than a cylinder type not less. I just use a regular split shot. If there's muck on the bottom no shot for me.

So anglers what do you think about this setup?
Figure we don't hear pros using it much cause there is no money to be made from lure makers. Doesn't mean they are not using it though.

So lets hear your thoughts and any advice you may have on using the rig. Like when and why?
If I'm faced with highly pressured weekend fish or cold front fish or fish that seem to be in a negative state of mind or fish that live in gin clear water or fish that I can see but won't hit what I've been trying to feed them or I want to follow up on fish that turn on whatever but won't commit then I like a 4" finesse on light line......if adding a shot makes sense at the moment then I will.
Old 05-24-13, 06:30 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Never used it for bass, have done it when fishing for trout in a stream where the water was moving and weight was needed to get the bait/lure down, yet not on the bottom. It's certainly an option for bass (getting the bait down yet not resting on the bottom), but I would use a light bullet sinker with a bobber stop below (hook side) the sinker, in place of the split shot. That would allow adjustment to the weight position. You may also get the same effect by using glass or ceramic beads in place of the split shot for really light weight addition and get the additional advantage of noise by using two or more beads and a bobber stopper. I think I just gave away one of my SECRETS.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-13, 08:42 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Joe, if you want weedless look for some bullet shaped split shot. Or just rig it up like a C-rig with a small weight. Not much difference IMO.

BB
Old 05-25-13, 03:10 PM   #5
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

joedog... I've fished with friends using Mojo weights (small cylinder weights) more often than crimped shot. Personally I don't like fishing baits with a weight between the bait and rod. I feel the weight but find very light taps too difficult to feel. I prefer fishing with a very light jig head exposed hook whenever the cover allows. Give me a Brewer Spider head tex-posed in thicker cover.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 05:06 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have caught them on french fries when the bite is tough. Just used a small split. I have found that I catch way more though with a small shakey head and a 4" finesse worm.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-13, 06:10 PM   #7
3dkicker

Found a split shot rig with a Zoom finesse worm (natural blue) works very well along the pad edge of one of the many tidal rivers in VA. It was my go to bait for years on this body of water until the hydrilla took over the shallow water. Very simple bait with a very simple technique. Drop the bait along the pads and lift and drop the bait. When you lifted and felt weight, that wasn't pad or grass, you set the hook. Typically the bass would grab it and run so it wasn't hard to figure out. My thought on the rig and the technique was that the bass thought it was a small fish chasing something very small and that made the worm an easy target. I'd catch a limit in one or two passes along an area while others might catch a fish or two. Never caught a big limit but this body of water isn't known for big bags of bass. I did catch a lot of bass which makes it a lot of fun.
Old 05-29-13, 11:37 AM   #8
Captmikestarrett

I use this the split shot rig on small tidal creeks. Place the split shot about 12 inches above the hook. Then wacky rig a pink floating worm or t-rig a Berkly ribbon tail worm. The undercut banks are my target. And it works very well. Not much for casting but flips real good on a short spinning rod. Combat style..

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.