Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-20-13, 09:37 AM   #1
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flukes

What is your rigging of choice for fishing flukes? Also, does anyone use a 4" fluke-style bait? What is it and how is the action of it (glide) compared to a 5" version?

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 10:26 AM   #2
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

I've never fished the 4 inch version. On a 5 inch, I use a 3/0 offset worm hook, weightless with a swivel about 12 inches up from the hook. I think the swivel is a #7 size.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 10:34 AM   #3
OkobojiEagle

What are you accomplishing with the swivel?

oe
Old 08-20-13, 11:28 AM   #4
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Preventing line twist. I had a problem earlier in the year with line twist when fishing a weightless Senko. I switched to the swivel for all my weightless soft plastics and I haven't had any problems since.

Dave
Old 08-20-13, 11:29 AM   #5
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

I forgot to mention, I fish them on a spinning rig instead of a baitcaster.

Dave
Old 08-20-13, 11:33 AM   #6
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

I just realized I made a mistake in my first reply. I use a 5/0 hook not a 3/0. Sorry.

Dave
Old 08-20-13, 12:19 PM   #7
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use 4" more than 5".
I use 4/0 or 5/0 when fishing weightless but I use a wide gap 3/0 up to 5/0 with an 1/8 oz. weight probably more than weightless. But do fish 1/16 oz and up to a quarter at times in river systems.
I like Mustad Lock Plus hooks due to the sliding weight.
I always use a screw lock hook of some brand though.

4" and 5" have basically the exact same action. To me anyways.
For what ever reason I seem to get a lot more bites on a 4". Especially when the bite is slow.
You didn't ask but I also use Caffiene Shads. Love the tail wiggle on the drop.

Being Joe I also use them on Power Dropshotting. Always use a 2/0 VMC Spinshot on these and a 4" fluke.

Fluking was my 'new' bait last year. Meaning I fished them during almost any outing untill I felt I understood the 'whys' and 'hows' of this technique. Found out that not fluking was a big mistake on my part.
Did the swivel deal for awhile but found by just holding your pole tip up after a cast or two really unwinds the twist. I like the swivel idea but really didn't notice a great deal of help avoiding twist. Again, just me.
Old 08-20-13, 06:21 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use the 5" Strike King Caffeine Shad on a 5/0 EWG hook. Usually, I'm fishing them weightless, but when I do want a little weight, I use a weighted 5/0 EWG hook with the screw in spring to secure the lure to the hook. I have my most luck though fishing them weightless.

One little trick I learned years ago is to rig the bait onto the hook in such a way as to cause the baits nose to angle slightly upward, which causes the bait to ride near the surface and actually skip out of the water when jerked. This can often be deadly, especially if shad are breaking surface.
Old 08-20-13, 09:33 PM   #9
bassboogieman

About the only use I have for a fluke is for a trailer on a chatterbait and the 4" is my choice. The fluke can be a great bait for smallmouth, but I rarely have the chance to fish for them, so I have substituted the solid plastic swimbaits for a 5" fluke for largemouth. Pretty much the same thing except the paddle tail of the swimbait give a bit of action to the bait on the fall. I like the skinny ones like the ones from P-line.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-13, 10:13 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

I normally have 3" and 4" within reach...rarely 5. Almost exclusively texas rig and the occaisional tandem. I like twitching them over the tops of milfoil beds and then letting them flutter into the holes or edges. On windy days sometimes I do pretty good pitching them to the windblown laydowns and popping them out. They make decent search baits on a carolina rig....every time your lead bangs against something on the bottom they do what flukes do.
Old 08-21-13, 08:23 AM   #11
OkobojiEagle

Anyone nose hook their flukes? What hook do you use? Rigged from bottom through top or into bait at front (as you would a T-rig) and then through the top? Do you work the fluke the same when nose hooked as when T-rigged with a worm hook? Do you achieve the same sporadic action when nose hooked?

oe
Old 08-26-13, 10:28 PM   #12
DVT Mike

I nose hook them on a Gammy Octopus hook whenever cover allows. I hook them right up through the chin.
Old 08-28-13, 12:33 AM   #13
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Anyone nose hook their flukes? What hook do you use? Rigged from bottom through top or into bait at front (as you would a T-rig) and then through the top? Do you work the fluke the same when nose hooked as when T-rigged with a worm hook? Do you achieve the same sporadic action when nose hooked?

oe
When cover allows, I prefer nose hooking. My hook up rates are much higher, and there seems to be more action on the fluke. I work it the same, but with a size or two smaller hook.

Tb
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 02:11 PM   #14
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish Blue river Indiana for smallmouth mostly. I use 5 inch flukes and a BPS 4/0 round bend straight shank hook Texas rigged. I did catch my biggest smallmouth wacky rigged.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 02:57 PM   #15
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E Brightwell View Post
I fish Blue river Indiana for smallmouth mostly. I use 5 inch flukes and a BPS 4/0 round bend straight shank hook Texas rigged. I did catch my biggest smallmouth wacky rigged.

Brian... are you able to keep the Fluke properly placed on that straight-shank hook after the first good fight?

oe
Old 08-29-13, 03:05 PM   #16
OkobojiEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
When cover allows, I prefer nose hooking. My hook up rates are much higher, and there seems to be more action on the fluke. I work it the same, but with a size or two smaller hook.

Tb

I've been wanting to get out on the lake and try this rigging, but the world keeps getting in my way!!! I'm assuming nose-hooking will still be possible through the tops of sparse weed cover?

oe
Old 08-29-13, 03:41 PM   #17
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Brian... are you able to keep the Fluke properly placed on that straight-shank hook after the first good fight?

oe
If it won't stay where I want it I put a tooth pick in the eye. The hook I use has small barbs to hold the bait.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 08:10 AM   #18
OkobojiEagle

Got out a short while last night and tried nose hooking my Shad Assassins. They did more spinnin' than walkin'. I'll continue using 3/0 & 4/0 wide gap hooks and Texposing them. My wondering about nose hooking is done.

oe
Old 09-20-13, 06:49 PM   #19
Rebbasser

Try rigging them sideways-instead of rigging them with the hook in the belly slit rig through the side. Gives them a different look and different action. sometimes that different look amkes a difference, especially in heavily pressured water.
Old 09-24-13, 06:49 AM   #20
IowaBasser

I've never tried them for smallies. I like skipping them under docks or letting them sink and slowly fishing them like a slow jerk-bait on outside weed edges. I fish them mainly weightless on a 5/0 EWG hook, though have used a weighted EWG hook to fish 8-10 feet depths on weeds. I've had my best luck with the Cabela's or Scheels' house brands over Zoom, but have not tried a lot of different kinds.
Old 09-25-13, 04:50 PM   #21
lilmule

Screw lock frog hook works well with super flukes 5 in ,wont slide down right after a fish or two.Smaller size srew locks hooks are available for say bass assasins.
Small mouth readily take a fluke when they have their noses on the bankm,ive caught more this year than normal as they never left the bays mostly on buzzbaits and flukes at first light.My last one 18 in.Scrawny thing only weighed 2.08.Chasing shiners not shad.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 09:46 PM   #22
Bassboss

I like tossing Flukes though moderately thick vegetation... When it just barley starts to mat up, and right before. I like to get em on a 4/0 EWG superline hook rigged weightless.

I'll toss em out and let em sink a foot or two and start twitching them high in the water column. Once the bait starts rippling I'll let it rest for a moment and start working it again!
Old 09-30-13, 01:04 PM   #23
merc1997

i rig fluke type baits on a 60 degree leg jig hook with a hitchiker attached to the eyelet to screw the fluke to. i also attach a heavy snap to the eyelet as this allows the fluke to have a much more flip flop movement, and seems to trigger more strikes.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 12:46 PM   #24
BBD

I fish weightless flukes everywhere. It's hard for me to fish anything else because I catch so many fish with flukes.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.