Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-13, 06:48 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Handgun recommendation for girlfriend?

She's hoping to get her lifetime CCW soon, and I would love nothing more than to get her a nice self-defense weapon for Christmas (take that libs LOL).

She's got pretty small hands (she's only 5' 4").

She is most definitely not shy about guns, so it doesn't have to be a powder-puff.

I really hate her being alone in her house in BFE, so some help would be really appreciated.
Old 09-01-13, 07:04 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Either a .38 revolver or a .380 pistol. If she can comfortably handle an auto I've grown to prefer them for CCW. I am very partial lately to Ruger handguns so have her look at the LCP (.380), it's small and easily concealable and much better suited to small hands. Not so for big hands as the trigger guard is a bit tight for those of us with big fingers. A .38 revolver would be a decent choice if she is not comfortable with a pistol. Recoil should be easily handled for either. If she can handle a little bigger load, then something in a compact 9mm would be good, again in Ruger the LC9, a very small frame for a 9mm.
Alone in her house - I would ditch the handgun and suggest a nice 20 ga shotgun. Nothing strikes fear (new underwear required) than an intruder hearing a shotgun being racked...

Anyway, you'll get suggestions from others about their favorites, check them out, do your research and take her to a range and shoot several that fit her needs, then let her decide.

One FINAL word of warning: sometimes buying a girlfriend (or wife) a gun may not be in YOUR best interest... but you're a nice guy and don't think you got to much to worry about... I hope.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 10:30 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

For an auto, check out Kahr pistols. I've heard only good things about them. A 9mm would probably work. If you're looking for a revolver, a .357 magnum in a smaller frame, like a Ruger LCR, might work. You can shoot.38 caliber rounds, .38+p, or full house .357 magnum rounds, depending on her comfort level.

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 09-02-13 at 12:50 AM.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 10:50 PM   #4
keithdog

I've been doing a lot of research on hand guns lately, and joined a couple gun forums and have spent a lot of time there. One gun that comes up a lot, and several women seem to like is the S&W Shield, 9mm. It's small, 19 oz. and has a 3.1" barrel. Easy shooting but had a good defense load. Plus, it has a manual safety which she might like if she plans to carry in her purse. I saw got my hands on one Friday and it's a sweet little 9mm. They are on recall as of right now, but the problem is being quickly rectified. The trigger pull was amazing! I'm not a big guy, and have small hands too and it felt very good in my grasp. It takes down rather easily as well. But the really nice thing is the price. You can pick them up for around $400.00 or less.
Old 09-02-13, 01:37 AM   #5
nofearengineer

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Believe me...it's something I never even thought about before.
Old 09-02-13, 01:44 AM   #6
Jrob78

When my ex fiance got her CHL, we went gun shopping. Fortunately she grew up in the country and her dad is a gun guy, she was familiar with guns. After looking and shooting several, she decided she wanted a Springfield EMP in 9mm. It fit her hands, she shot it well and most of all, she loved it. So...that's what we got her.

My point is, all the suggestions and recommendations are good to get started with but if she doesn't like it, feel happy and confident with it, she won't carry it. Don't just go buy a gun for her, (not saying you would) take her shopping and make her part of the experience. It's her gun after all.
Old 09-02-13, 08:35 AM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post

My point is, all the suggestions and recommendations are good to get started with but if she doesn't like it, feel happy and confident with it, she won't carry it. Don't just go buy a gun for her, (not saying you would) take her shopping and make her part of the experience. It's her gun after all.
Agreed. Take the suggestions and then let her look at them and get a feel for what feels good in her hand. Some gun ranges have guns that you can rent. That would be a good way to try some out.
Old 09-02-13, 08:38 PM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

My ol lady sounds bout the same size as yours.
She carries a Kahr 380
Old 09-02-13, 09:43 PM   #9
bcklash

Debi carries a Bersa Thunder .380 and loves it.
Old 09-03-13, 10:20 AM   #10
nofearengineer

Bruce, that's an excellent point about the shotgun I hadn't considered. I have a 12-gauge I could leave with her, and no permit required so no legal issues. The kick would probably be murder, but definitely preferable to actual murder. It would be a good until she gets the permit.

Thanks
Old 09-03-13, 11:02 AM   #11
nofearengineer

Sweet. I just found this at a local dealer. Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 ga.

I didn't think she'd like the pink (the only one they had in stock), but her reply was "who cares? the bullets kill an intruder just as dead"... love it.

I know I'll sleep better.
Old 09-03-13, 11:55 AM   #12
bassboogieman

Mossberg makes several "home defense/tactical" shotguns. They are pretty darn dependable too

Mossberg Cruiser, also available in 20 ga.

Mossberg 500, also available in 20 ga

And I repeat: NOTHING induces the pucker more than the sound of someone racking a shotgun in the dark. Attaching a light to it may be a good idea, also - light 'em up and bang x 6.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-03-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 12:37 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Bruce, in my world, they will never hear the rack. They're just going to see a flash of light, a loud bang, and then the smell of brimstone as they meet their maker.

The only warning an intruder gets in my home is a locked door. All of my guns have rounds chambered. Now I may have to re-evaluate that practice if I ever have kids running around, but that's just my belief.

I am going to get Christy a Loc-Box too, and she will probably keep the chamber empty, since the kids are teenagers and may at some point entertain the point of messing with Mom's gun.
Old 09-03-13, 12:46 PM   #14
nofearengineer

I may get myself a tactical style at some point, but I think the pistol grip might be a bit harder to control for someone with less hand and wrist strength. Still pretty cool though.

For now, my 12 ga. 870 and trusty 00 buck will do the job nicely.
Old 09-03-13, 01:00 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Mossberg makes several "home defense/tactical" shotguns. They are pretty darn dependable too

Mossberg Cruiser, also available in 20 ga.

Mossberg 500, also available in 20 ga

And I repeat: NOTHING induces the pucker more than the sound of someone racking a shotgun in the dark. Attaching a light to it may be a good idea, also - light 'em up and bang x 6.
I'd stay away from pistol grip-only style shotguns like the top one. They're virtually impossible to aim, and they're tougher to control recoil than one with the shoulder stock. It is very possible to miss with a shotgun, too, so aiming is extremely important.
Also, I'm going to disagree with Brucie about racking the slide. Yes, it is panic inducing, and surely may precipitate the intruder's immediate vacation of the premises (and his bowels ). But what if he also has a gun, and is already extremely on edge while breaking in? He may aim in the general direction of the sound of that shotgun racking and start spraying bullets while diving for the door or window. I'd wager he could get off 2-3 shots before he either makes it outside or gets shot. And I don't want any lead flying back at me or my family.
The first thing the intruder hears should be either the sound of the firing pin hitting the primer (which he may or may not hear over the sound of the powder detonating ), or your voice, in a full intimidating bellow, telling him to get down, drop it, get out, don't move, or whatever. With a flashlight mounted to the gun, you can light him up and blind him the second you start yelling to disorient him. In my house, he'd have about a heartbeat and a half to either stop and drop or dive out the way he came in. If his hands are empty, I'd let him run without shooting. But if he turned towards me at all, in any way that could possibly mean he's going to be aggressive, he's bought and paid for.
My second favorite forum is at http://forums.gunsandammo.com It's a fairly small forum, like here, but there are a lot of really knowledgable guys on there, with a lot of good advice.

**EDIT**
This took me a while to type while at work, so you posted in the meantime, and it seems we think a lot alike. I'll leave this up, anyway.
Old 09-03-13, 01:37 PM   #16
bassboogieman

I don't own a shotgun anymore, so an intruder gets no warning with it being racked. I do have a Tarus Judge loaded with Winchester .410 PDX rounds for home defense, it's like a hand held shotgun. So an intruder (in my home) won't hear a shotgun being racked, if his hearing is very good he may hear the Judge being cocked or I may just choose to fire it without cocking - just depends on my mood, which probably won't be very good...
Old 09-03-13, 01:57 PM   #17
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My 2 cents...

I would stay away from the mouse-type guns chambered in 380 (i.e. LCP & TCP). I owned an LCP and hated it! The DOA trigger pull was a day long and the firearm was not pleasant to shoot (expect not to be able to use your hand after sending a box down range the day before).

Instead, I would stick with the larger frame 380s (Bersa,etc.), a 38 Special revolver (ultimately what I got my wife), or a Glock in 9MM (I have the 26 which is subcompact but has VERY little recoil compared to the 380 LCP).

I hope this helps!
Old 09-03-13, 06:26 PM   #18
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_CPA View Post
My 2 cents...

I would stay away from the mouse-type guns chambered in 380 (i.e. LCP & TCP). I owned an LCP and hated it! The DOA trigger pull was a day long and the firearm was not pleasant to shoot (expect not to be able to use your hand after sending a box down range the day before).

Instead, I would stick with the larger frame 380s (Bersa,etc.), a 38 Special revolver (ultimately what I got my wife), or a Glock in 9MM (I have the 26 which is subcompact but has VERY little recoil compared to the 380 LCP).

I hope this helps!
Glock 26 Awesome pistol. I might add something here. A shot gun does indeed make a very impressive home defense weapon. However, there is one little issue which may rarely come up, but indeed exists. Think about this. At 2:00 AM and in bed, your girl friend hears a noise that she knows is not right. Fearing the worst, she grabs her shot gun and heads down the bedroom hallway. She is holding the shot gun at position and rounds a corner looking for an intruder, shotgun barrel in front of her. The intruder, hearing her walk towards them, "being politically correct here by claiming not male or female", see's the end of the barrel protrude from around the corner and grabs the barrel and shoves it out of the way. That's not a favorable situation. Now while the same could happen with a HAND GUN, IT IS MUCH EASIER TO RIP AWAY FROM THE PERSON GRABBING IT THAN A SHOT GUN. And an intruder is going to find that finding the end of a pistol barrel in dim lighting much harder to find, let alone grab. Just a thought on self defense.
Old 09-03-13, 07:55 PM   #19
nofearengineer

I am the proud purchaser of a brand new pink shotgun LOL.
Old 09-03-13, 10:36 PM   #20
keithdog

Did you get a new pink hoodie too?
Old 09-04-13, 08:41 AM   #21
lilmule

Often a mouse gun is all one can hide be they of any sex,due to clothing and or pysical size.Dao is not a great choice,but extremely safe for those not as adept with handguns.Suitable defense ranges only .DA/SA is slightly better for those in most cases first shot long da pull second is sa.Walther ppk and pp are prime examples made by many as it is a highly copied weapon,mine is a pa63 in 9x18 mak,not 9x17-380,about 50 more fpe than a 380 and about 50 less than a 9mm in non plus p and if shot out of a short barrel 9mm its equal.Even the lowly 32acp has its merits,euro police use them or did even our own for years used 32 sw,which is not quite as powerfull.
22 cal hides anywhere unless a target model.
I own a 45 acp but large heavy thick,not a cc weapon and if downsized hard on shooter as what is being shot at,but makes a great home defense weapon.
Also own and cc a 22 snubby revolver-shorts n t shirt cant tell im packing,im 130 lbs.
32 acp llama-small version 1911 sa,and a pa 63 in 9mm mak,but need at least a long shirt to cc the 32 and preferably a light coat the pa63.
But even in hot weather im vehicle carrying the mak,not a vehicle one should pick to car jack.
Something like the bersa 380 which is a pp copy is da/sa and extremely popular with women wnd men for cc.Many dont lend the mouse gun description to 380 as in many countries that is the largest one may carry.Large men who carry big calibers can afford to frown at smaller calibers and can hide and legally carry such here,something one cannot do everywhere.Nor are we all equal in physical size and capability but am still one happy person to live here letting one carry what they want,others fought for that freedom.
We are also legally responsible for that bullet when it or if it flies so I dont use a bullet or caliber with excess penetration,have no desire to kill a perp and someone behind them that is not,but a personal choice.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-04-13 at 08:58 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 03:44 PM   #22
bassboogieman

Quote:
I am the proud purchaser of a brand new pink shotgun LOL
Enough said... I guess now she'll sign your permission slip for next spring - wherever, whenever, whatever?
Old 09-04-13, 04:47 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Enough said... I guess now she'll sign your permission slip for next spring - wherever, whenever, whatever?
You don't know this girl. She doesn't like fishing, but she would definitely like Dale Hollow. Who knows...you might get to meet her. I'm meeting her Mom tonight.
Old 09-04-13, 09:30 PM   #24
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
You don't know this girl. She doesn't like fishing, but she would definitely like Dale Hollow. Who knows...you might get to meet her. I'm meeting her Mom tonight.
I hope you wear your GOOD tank top.
Old 09-04-13, 10:10 PM   #25
bassboogieman

HA! good one Kdog

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.