Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-10, 05:01 PM   #1
weekendfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default When to use Senkos vs Flukes

I am not sure when to tie on a Senko (used as a jerk-bail) vs when to use a Fluke. I know the Fluke has a slower fall rate, and sometimes is slightly more erratic, but other than that I'm lost!

Any suggestions?
weekendfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 05:49 PM   #2
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

I never use Senkos as jerkbaits. I always let them fall to the bottem and then lift them up. I'm not saying that fishing a Senko like a jerkbait won't work I just don't do it. If I were you I would just try both the fluke and the Senko and see which one is producing the best.
Old 11-14-10, 07:48 PM   #3
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
I am not sure when to tie on a Senko (used as a jerk-bail) vs when to use a Fluke.
You don't have to be sure. Actually, none of us are sure of very much unless we're kidding ourselves.

Agree with Jake, try both and see what happens.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 08:10 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with Jake in regards to not using a Senko as a fluke. I prefer to use Senko style baits when the action is slower. For me, they are more of a lure to "coax" a bite when faster lures fail to get a reaction. I'm not saying they won't work when the action is hot, it's just not what I prefer to use them for. Flukes on the other hand I like to use when bass are acting more agressively, or when I'm facing weedbeds and grass that make it hard to fish a crankbait or a spinnerbait. I can work the fluke slowly and still keep it just above the grass or brush, and allow it to fall into pockets as I retrieve the bait.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 09:07 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well i DISagree with jake and keith as to not using a seno as a jerkbait. I DO agree to trying both in the same pattern. Try the fluke same as you would a senko and vice versa. That gives you 4 different techniques with 2 baits.
Old 11-14-10, 09:16 PM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

when one doesn't work, try the other. If one is working but the bites seem less then agresive, try the other. If neither way works, wacky rig the senko. If that doesn't work, shakey head the senko. Now for me, I usually have both setup in the boat in some fashion. I always grab an un weighted fluke riged with a 5/0 hook on a spinning rod. I use it to skip the baits under trees and docks. I usually have a senko on a wacky rig. I toss it next to objects where a slow ,tantalizing fall should work. I love to toss them next the bridge pillings and standing timber. I don't really use either of those baits as JERK baits. I use hard plastic jerk baits when I fish the jerks. I use the soft plastic flukes a lot slower with more dead sticking and very slow falls with a slight twitch here and there.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 10:15 PM   #7
weekendfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advice...After reading what pro reel wrote, I think that I may be working both lures a little too quickly. (Not that I am impatient. Lol!)
weekendfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 11:11 PM   #8
Jrob78

Don't think that you can't work a Fluke quickly, you can. Sometimes they work best at a very fast pace just under the surface, occasionally skipping across the surface.

Like most everyone has said, I generally work a Senko much more slowly and fish a fluke quicker and "snappier" like a jerkbait.
Old 11-15-10, 12:45 AM   #9
cassidyta

I use senkos as a jerk bait often. For me the key to when to switch to a fluke is based on the cover. I usually use the senko when the grass isnt as tall. It will sit on the lower weeds better than the fluke will. I prefer the fluke when throwing into the trees where I want the bait to jump off of the branches.

Also, if you are going to throw the senko as a jerkbait, I suggest hooking it backwards. that way, the skinny end moves through the junk better than the flat end.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.