Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-09, 01:37 AM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Band of Brothers

If you haven't seen this mini-series yet, you MUST. It was something HBO put out I think back in 2001 or so. Some friends of ours bought it on DVD, so we spent all weekend watching it. It's 10 episodes long, so it's close to 10 hours total.
It's the story of Easy Company, 506th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, from WWII. They interviewed everybody from that unit that was still alive, and re-inacted their whole experience, from training in Georgia, to D-Day in Normandy, to the Battle of the Bulge, to the German surrender.
To get an idea about what this whole series is like, picture the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan, where Tom Hanks is helping storm Omaha Beach on D-Day, and make it last about 9 1/2 hours. The other 1/2 hour will be the backstory on how they got to be where they were.
They show parts of the interviews of the surviving mambers of Easy at the end. That, to me, was the most touching part of the whole thing. What they went through from June 1944 till January 1945 still affects them to this day. Only 8 months of their lives, and 60 years later, many of them still ended up in tears trying to talk about it.
I highly recommend it.
Oh, and if this was a movie, it would be rated R for language and violence, so it's not for the kids. Adults only.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 02:01 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Band of Brothers was very good. HBO has made a few good series. John Adams is another one that everybody should see.
Old 02-09-09, 05:35 PM   #3
aikenyounggun

um i like when people say kids shouldnt see movies b/c of the language.... you should come to high school... the language there is R and the "sexual themes" are R... just saying
Old 02-09-09, 06:15 PM   #4
bamabassman

i understand aiken. some kids are in a real bad need of a bar of soap in their mouth.
getting back the mini series. yes i have seen it. would like to have the set too. that way i can see it from beginning to end. love SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. VERY GOOD STUFF.
which brings me to this.... i wonder why their isn't much in movies and series and such about the WWI, and KOREAN war? in comparision, they don't have as many movies and stuff about those wars.
Old 02-09-09, 08:03 PM   #5
bcklash

Bama that's funny, I actually got that bar of soap sometime around 1961 and again about 2 minutes later. None in the last 48 yrs. hahaha
Old 02-09-09, 11:01 PM   #6
bamabassman

hahaha, yea i hear ya on da soap. once was enough for me. ya don't mess wit moma!!!
Old 02-10-09, 09:15 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
um i like when people say kids shouldnt see movies b/c of the language.... you should come to high school... the language there is R and the "sexual themes" are R... just saying
Wa, I know what you mean!

Bad language at it "best"!!
Old 02-10-09, 09:23 PM   #8
WTL

My junior year in hs, in an attempt to show a little of the dark side of WWII to students, we watched Schindler's List over a week in class. The idea is maybe the kids would come to appreciate...something....

Anyways, all week long, my classmates treated it as an opportunity to joke, pass notes and talk through the movie. There were only about 5 of which who even payed attention, me being the one people asked to find out what was actually going on.

The only times the class stopped talking was when there was a scene of extreme violence or nudity. They always paid attention to those, but I think for the wrong reasons.

Anyways, its just a recollection I thought Id share of young people's characteristic response to movies where there is both profanity and a message. Seems most of the time they appreciate the profane far more than the message.
Old 02-10-09, 10:48 PM   #9
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Band of Brothers was great. It probably will never be know how much hell those guys went through excepts the ones who lived it. I wish more Americans myself included had the toughness of that Generation. I am affraid those guys while I respect everything about our soldiers made it a little too easy on us.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 12:00 AM   #10
bamabassman

also another great mivie is APOCALYPSE NOW. (spelling?) shows some of the horror and confusion about war in general.
Old 02-14-09, 11:49 AM   #11
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Band of Brothers is GREAT! I have the set,
Saving Private Ryan is a must see also.
Apocalypse Now is also very good...Robert Duvall is great in that movie, I think he plays John Kerry in the war right?
Old 02-14-09, 11:52 AM   #12
MississippiBoy

My wife just bought the DVD set for us yesterday. It's not something I would want to watch all the time, but it is excellent. After each episode, I would be worn out from the stress that comes from just watching it. Felt like I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 10:42 PM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I used to see it come on, but never watched it. We don't have any movie channels at home. And all the rig guys always watch westerns or the same movie every night. It has to be a majority thing. But I might have to pick up the DVDs and check it out.
Old 02-15-09, 10:04 AM   #14
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Should add, Full Metal Jacket to the list also...an awesome movie!
Old 02-15-09, 10:42 AM   #15
flbassman

All those movies are great. Also can't forget Patton and We were soldiers.
Old 02-15-09, 10:56 AM   #16
Bassboss

That sounds cool! I'll have to look in to that!

Thanks
Old 02-15-09, 01:04 PM   #17
brushhog

Stephen Ambrose wrote the book the series was based on -which is tremendous. He also wrote many others of a similar nature that are equally as good. the titles escape me right now. One was about POWs in the Phillipines, one was about bomber pilots... I'll have to look them up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.