Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-10, 11:44 AM   #1
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Can't find my motor

I am trying to find info on my motor but can't trace the ser#. I got a book that should cover the year of it but in it what it says i should have i cant find on my motor like it's setup diff. I went to a search for the ser# and it showed all the others but could not find mine. now I'm just lost. I've tried looking up every # on that darn motor (that I can find) any help would be great here's the #'s I've found, ser. 0B176014, this was on the block 858-8346-c3, this was just under the power head 1590-8334. I'm just trying to find some info so maybe I can fix it and don't have to take it to the shop oh yea it's a mercury blackmax 150 XR2.
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 12:51 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A pic would help,it is considered an older model-mid 1980s or thereabouts
merc has an x,y and z formula for those three numbers to figure the year out
I'm thinking 83-85,it has to with understanding the second set of numbers which contain both 85 and 83,83 also appears on the third set as well
Run those numbers by any merc mech they can tell you for sure,If I had to guess its an 83 model
other than electrical differences of stator or regulator and or different size carbs on some years,its the same design from date of its begining to its end.A book on outboard motor repair will cover the vintage xr2 ,available at your local public library.
Some things however are best left to the mechanics,that will be your decision,some what depending upon what your problem is.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-07-10 at 01:14 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 06:32 PM   #3
doc

Have you looked on the back of your boat?

Sorry I just could not resist, getting stir crazy(ier)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 07:02 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hahahaha, doc i wanted to say the same thing man. But did you find the numbers for real?
Old 02-08-10, 07:31 PM   #5
bassackwards

Can't find anything on line so im just going to take it some were
Old 02-09-10, 03:45 PM   #6
lilmule

Those are the numbers what he posted,the numbers on the boat have nothing to do with the motor other than plate rating.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 06:17 PM   #7
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

'87 2.0 150 if thats what your askin'? Is it a Merc manual or aftermarket?
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:13 PM   #8
bassackwards

aftermarket
Old 02-12-10, 11:32 PM   #9
champman

Smile motor ident.

I have a 1989 175 black max. The serial # for mine is on the transom mount near the trim rods on the drivers side. It is a small silverish plate about one inch in size. The first # you listed looks in detail like mine does. I would take that # to a good shop and let them look it up. You can get any part for your engine with the serial #. Hope this helped you, it can be a head scratch'r sometimes.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 02:20 AM   #10
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
the #'s i'v found, ser. 0B176014
If that is tha number you found on your motor, it is tha motor I mentioned in my other post.
Aftermarket manuals suck! You need to find a real Merc/Mariner manual. What are you lookin' for for your motor?..............
Old 02-13-10, 08:58 AM   #11
bassackwards

Well i was going to try to figure out what was wrong with it my self but after looking in the book and then at the motor they did not match. Well some of the things did but not all. Like the choke silenoide, in the book it said it was at the top left next to the top carb. but on the motor nothing could not find anything that looked the same. I know someone in the past has taken off the oil system on it so i don't know what other stuf was messed with. I ended up taking it to the shop so they could let me know whats wrong with it, I just hope it's something cheep.
Old 02-13-10, 09:57 AM   #12
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I hope so too bassackwards. I ain't no where NEAR a mechanic on outboards, so i always either ask ol paw-out-law, or take it to the shop. Hope it ain't nothing but a simple thing pal.
Old 02-13-10, 10:24 AM   #13
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

I gotcha now. And yeah, on these V6 motors there is so many things that will interchange, unless you have had tha motor from day one its hard ta say whats been done or changed. Hope its not something serious and Gl with it. Those little motors are as close ta "bullet proof" as you can get when all is well...............
Old 02-13-10, 10:26 AM   #14
bassackwards

Thanks for the help i'll keep yal posted
Old 02-20-10, 07:50 AM   #15
bassackwards

Well got a call from the mec.. About 600$ worth of problems, my carbs are fine it was one of the control boxes (i cant remember what there called) I was only running on 3 cylinders, and the throttle linkage is cracked at the carbs so they are trying to find a new one because they don't make them anymore. There was a few other little things but i should have it back next week. The bad thing is I just found out I have a 50 to 60% chance that I might be deploying for 5 to 7 months so i might get to use it 1,2 times then have to store it.
Old 02-27-10, 07:36 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally260 View Post
I gotcha now. And yeah, on these V6 motors there is so many things that will interchange, unless you have had tha motor from day one its hard ta say whats been done or changed. Hope its not something serious and Gl with it. Those little motors are as close ta "bullet proof" as you can get when all is well...............
Ole alley is dead nuts on the bullet proof statement. I wish I had seen this quicker.I have 2 of them sitting on my carport..I could have saved you a few dollars and you would have also been able to fix yourself.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.