Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-09, 10:01 PM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Ok is it cheaper to

Overhaul a motor or just by a new one.

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 10:10 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

how big a moter and which kind.. yammer are just high period to buy parts for..

a power head is less exspensive than a total tear down ... mind you most marinas rather just unbolt the powerhead and drop a new one on top..

zooker
Old 02-28-09, 10:34 PM   #3
Tennessee

I'm not really having problems just think the motor is kinda old

1994 Johnson 150

little cold starting but fires every time
I worry about my motor a lot
Old 03-01-09, 12:10 AM   #4
rangerryan

is it a fast strike?
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 08:08 AM   #5
Tennessee

Default Yup

That would be a it...The motor seems fine and always starts no problems just kinds cold if it sits for abbot 2-3 month..but honestly cranks after about 3 turns and choke

I just worries cause of the age I guess and The lower unit is always one of those things that really bother me

I have always had smaller motors and never really worried about them

I bought this boat almost a year ago and just wanna make sure I take care of it

Thanks Will
Old 03-01-09, 12:41 PM   #6
atlfishguy
BassFishin.Com Member

I am in no way as experienced as the rest of these guys on here about boats but the way I see it, if its not broke dont fix it. I have owned three boats a 89 150 johnson , a 84 150 mercury, and a 87 115 mercury. Never had any issues with either one(knock on wood), yes they are a bit cold natured when starting for the first time in awhile, which Im yet to see one that age that isnt, I can live with that. However, I was pretty confident that the previous owners of these boats had taken care and maintained their engines before I purchased them. Good luck.
atlfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 02:11 PM   #7
kg5388

I have an older motor a 1984 mariner 150 and I just perform a compression check and lower unit service twice a year. I do it in the middle and at the end and stopped worrying about it.
I started having a starting problem with mine and took it in and they sync the carbs and adjusted all the linkage and the problem is gone.
Old 03-01-09, 02:19 PM   #8
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

it seems like it works well..... it cranks up good .... i mean you could ask one of your boat mechanic to look at it ..... it sounds good ..... but if it really died or cranked up after 15 minutes then i would worry about it ....
Old 03-01-09, 02:21 PM   #9
aikenyounggun

when my dad's motor died and blew .... it could be fixed but was better just to buy another .... which he did ..... another thing to look at is trying to find a certificate which lets you get a motor.... the people who win these in tourney sell them ... they are usually for a motor or a boat
Old 03-01-09, 02:23 PM   #10
1FASTLASER

Ok right off the top of my head a fast strike power head is somewhere beween 2750 and 3500 depending on where you get it from. DONT scimp on the remanufacturer of a powerhead. Go with ONLY someone that has a name. The fast strike engines are HIGH PERFORMANCE engines. They require a little more skill and know how to rebuild them correctly. I am not saying it takes more skill to rebuild them ........I am saying they hve there little quirks that the rebuilder needs to be aware of. You just don throw a set of bearings,rings and gaskets in and expect them to be right. Tolerance's are different on hipo motors than the are on stock engines.
If you choose to rebuild you can save some serious money. Such as i your experienced enough to be able to use indicators,inside calipers,outside calipers etc etc you can visually inspect a motor and choose whether or not to replace say 2 pistons instead of all 6. This of course is just a example. Therefore the price goes down considerably. There are other ways to save money on a rebuild all of which can be utilized only if you are confident that the inspection of said parts is up tp par. I have rebuilt blown motors for under 1000 and others have cost over 2000.......depends on WHATS wrong.
You are posting or explaining a motor that is tired. Just from what you have sai you MAY............I am not saying this is so get away with a rering and carb rebuild. Off the top of my head around 800 in parts for rings gaskets and carb kits. DO NOT rebuild without doing a carb rebuild. CRAZY to do so. As far as your lower unit as long as your not runnig a surfacing prop , or extremely high prop shaft heights you are probably ok with nothing more than usual maintanice......water pump and seal kits on those lower units. If yo are running high engine mounting or a surfacing prop get that lower pinned.
Old 03-01-09, 06:33 PM   #11
Tennessee

Default Thank you

1fastlazer

thank you for the thoughts and the details. I trust that the guy that owned the boat befor me took good care of it. I also know things after while seem to always tear up in groups !!!

LOL

Thanks Will
Old 03-01-09, 08:24 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

I had a 150 Faststrike on my Gambler and it was one of the best engines I have ever owned.

I would not mess with it till it breaks down. I ran it 6 years on charters and only once or twice needed to work on it..

Clean the carbs change the water pump and replaced the stats.. good solid motor.. it replaced a 175 great white hope to the tune of 12K

You all know what a great white hope is right?

Capt Mike
Old 03-02-09, 09:59 AM   #13
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I had a 150 Faststrike on my Gambler and it was one of the best engines I have ever owned.

I would not mess with it till it breaks down. I ran it 6 years on charters and only once or twice needed to work on it..

Clean the carbs change the water pump and replaced the stats.. good solid motor.. it replaced a 175 great white hope to the tune of 12K

You all know what a great white hope is right?

Capt Mike

You replaced John McCain?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 11:48 AM   #14
Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
You replaced John McCain?
Now now we are not racial profiling LOL JUST A JOKE OK

Later Will
Old 03-02-09, 01:32 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

A 1990 Johnson 175 white motor..
You hope it starts
You hope it runs
You hope to get back with it
You hope it does not implode
You are always hope-ing with the great white hope..

Capt Mike
Old 03-02-09, 07:22 PM   #16
boater

Laser is on the money . but YOU have to deside what your budget in these times permits . I personally as laser probably knows am very much a preventative maintenence guy and will not take short cuts in a situation like yours where there is doubt.Money spent now can save LOTS more in the future. But if there is no money now and you are a gambler take the odds .
boater is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.