Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-06, 12:35 PM   #1
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Red hooks or red line?

OK, science tells us that red is the first color to disappear in the water column as light penetration decreases. Thus, Cajun Red line claims to be invisible to fish.

Hook manufacturers sell their red hooks at a higher price, claiming gamefish hit them more readily because they are "bleeding". Lure makers add red to their baits with the same idea in mind.

Who's the liar here?

I say one should only purchase these lures if they are topwater or shallow running. I don't wanna' pay more for something that's bologna.

Please don't reply with stories of outfishing your buddies with the red hooks and lures. No one casts to the same spots as each other. For all I know you were on the trolling motor or imparting the correct amount of action for the bass to strike.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 02:44 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

People have said that fish are line shy, meaning if they see the line they wont hit the bait. Maybe they are also hook shy. Perhaps we havent realized it, but the bleeding hooks actually work because they are invisible to fish, not because they are visible.
Old 01-05-06, 02:55 PM   #3
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i cant see the red line being any good

like the yellow lines the fish stay away from the line
Old 01-05-06, 02:59 PM   #4
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i've tried the cajun red and flouro on the same gin clear lake.there is a difference.i couldn't catch a fish on the cajun red,as soon as i switched to the flouro i started catching fish.IMO the red can be seen in shallow clear water.WTL,you may have hit on something there.although i haven't tried red hooks much.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 03:03 PM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Yes, I've thought of this. I have suggested as much on other sites. Shouldn't the hook and lure companies also suggest it? If you are texas rigging a worm with a red hook in 15 ft. of water there is no way the fish sees the hook. The same would go for a jig or deep diving crankbait. Why say it triggers a natural feeding response if they're blind to it? I just watched a local program that had a commercial for Daichi and Cajun Red line. I just don't like the idea that some companies mislead amatuer anglers. It is very short-sighted. I am very loyal to companies that maintain their integrity, I imagine many fisherman are. If they lie to them today they will lose those customers in the long run.
Patrick Krueger, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 07:27 PM   #6
bass kicker

in deep water red looks like brown to the fish
Old 01-07-06, 06:22 PM   #7
dodgeguy

cajun red is not invisible.it is low - vis.red cast is still a great mono.flouro is the only line line that is almost totally invisible.flouro coated copolomer is not totally invisible either.all that being said i have decided powerpro is on all my rods this year.i really don't think it makes that much of a difference if they can see the line or not.i have seen flouro outfish braid and i have seen it go the other way around.this has proven to me that it doesn't mean a thing.what probably happens is one guy is a better fisherman than the other on that given day or the stiffness/limpness properties of the line affects the bait action and causes a change.
Old 01-08-06, 01:16 AM   #8
bass kicker

what color power pro do you use the smoke or yellow
Old 01-08-06, 06:55 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Patrick
On red hooks and red on the bait all I can say is that craws at certain times of the year have alot of red in them. Saying that I can beleive that red on a lure is a plus due to the fact that bass dont saee colors but different shades therefore red would be the correct shade or hue for them to see and might hit them more readily. As far as the red line I FEEL "ITS BOGUS" Give me clear or moss green PERIOD.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 08:16 AM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have used pink,clear,red,blue,yellow,igfa green,evny green,smoke colored lines. the only line i have ever had fish shy off from was 50 pound stren super braid in hi viz yellow. igfa green is an ande color also happens to be the same color as calcutta braid i am currantly using. back county -which is blue-and pink-looks peach- are 2 lines i use in gin clear water both are mono. i use envy green which is a hi viz green in gin clear water even though i could see it i still caught fish on it.. i used cajun red for quite a while good line so what if it is red i caught fish on it that was good enough for me..

zooker
Old 01-08-06, 12:58 PM   #11
dodgeguy

bass kicker,i use moss green and when it fades i recolor with permanent magic marker.sometimes i color every other 3 iches balck tobreak it up.i really haven't noticed any difference when i do it but i know guys who swear by it.i know a very good powerpro fisherman who uses white and colors it with a black marker.he catches fish all the time with no problem.some guys do the same with the yellow.this gives you a line you can see really easy but is smoke/black under water.the thing is the white or yellow you can color almost any color with a marker.i still prefer moss green.i have also used it in it's faded state and have not noticed any reduction in bites.
Old 01-12-06, 07:51 PM   #12
Futurepro22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

i never caught a fish on cajun red... EVER!
Futurepro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 09:43 PM   #13
dodgeguy

i caught lot's of fish on it.it's a great mono.
Old 01-13-06, 11:29 AM   #14
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I just saw Jason Quinn on Classic Patterns pull in several bass with Cajun Red. He was on Lake Wylie and used it in the clearer parts of the lake. At one point he said he was suprised to catch fish at all due to the pressure the lake receives. I love fluoro for clear water, but I think I'll try Cajun Red. If nothing else it will look cool spooled on my reel.
Old 01-13-06, 08:50 PM   #15
bass kicker

thanks dodge guy i have never used it before and am thinking about triing it out
Old 01-13-06, 10:56 PM   #16
dodgeguy

Get Red Cast And Not Red Lightning!!!:d
Old 01-14-06, 01:04 AM   #17
bass kicker

i have never caught a fish using red hooks or line so i am not about to start using them
Old 01-14-06, 01:26 PM   #18
Bender

I have had pretty good luck with red Gamakatsu and Daiichi hooks. I put Cajun Red Cast on 1 spinning and 1 casting reel last year. I had a very slow year, don't know if it was the line, probably conditions but that was about the only thing that I changed. This year I might try one with floro and the rest PowerPro.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 10:32 PM   #19
KH.

just to tell you guys,my favorite color is red but that doesnt matter.what works is what your instincts right??thats why we all talk about confidence.
now lets say you buy a crankbait and its your first time using one,and your first cast catches a 10 pound fish.and then you use a lizard and fish 8 straight hours without a bite.then you go back to the crankbait amd load the boat.why??

it was because you were paying more attention to that bait because you got lucky on your first cast with that big fish.you 'know' it has worked and your willing to pay more attention to your line,action ect. but then you fish the lizard witch you have no confidence in and dont catch a thing.

if a bait,line,presentation,color,or scent works for you then use it,if it doesnt,
then stick it under someones windsheild wiper like p-n-j and forget about it.

whens the last time you heard a pro-angler after a tournament and says he won because he used red line or somethin to that nature.never. if yall need a line that is strong,and depemdle just use something like trilene,whens the last time you heard someone complain about it.just use what works for you and stick with it
Old 01-15-06, 12:00 PM   #20
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I complained about Trilene yesterday and the day before. You make an excellent point though, kh. Confidence is the key. However, I disagree with sticking with what works for you. Rick Clunn and other top pros frequently say versatility is the key to success year in and year out. Specialtists are too limited. I still haven't caught fish while drop-shotting, but I am confident it works well, so I won't give up on it.
Old 01-15-06, 12:06 PM   #21
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr.
You make an excellent point though, kh. Confidence is the key. However, I disagree with sticking with what works for you. Rick Clunn and other top pros frequently say versatility is the key to success year in and year out.

what i meant with sticking to it was a particuliar thing. like if you like power pro and you are satisfied with ,use it.if you absolutely hate cajun red,for instance,throw it away . i didnt mean fish your best bait all year long.i never catch anything on dropshotting either,but i havnt given it a lot of time and are willing to try it again.whats the problem with trilene????
Old 01-15-06, 12:30 PM   #22
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Thanks for clarifying, kh. You can see some of my obnoxious rants about Trilene on the blade dancer thread.
Old 01-15-06, 01:24 PM   #23
dodgeguy

patrick,cajun red cast is the limpest most trouble free mono you will ever use.i am using it on my spinning rod and my baitcasters are getting powerpro.this is what i have decided after years of trying all kinds of line including flourocarbons.red cast has excellent abrasion resistance and knot strength also.
Old 01-15-06, 01:56 PM   #24
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

I'm getting some. What was the problem with red lightning?
Old 01-15-06, 04:10 PM   #25
dodgeguy

red lighning is an extremely abrasion resistant line that as far as i know was first used in salt water.it's really like wire and would be fine to troll with.as far as casting it goes you can forget it.the red cast is super limp and a great line.they now have cajun red advantage copolymer which i have not tried.i love the red cast so much i see no reason to switch.i use red cast for spinning and power pro on my baitcasters.this is because i use the spinning for finesse type presentations.i felt a low visibility line like red cast may help you in these situations.since i absolutely hate all flourocarbons the red cast was the next least visible line made.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.