Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-17-15, 11:06 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Choice of spinning reel size.

Hope you fellas can answer this for me. I am planning to ask for a new Shimano Symetre FL spinning for fathers day. My old Daiwa is giving me fits and needs replaced. And for $99 I don't think the Symetre can be beat. I've compared it to many others and am sold on this reel. However, not being a true spinning reel enthusiast, I have two spinning reels compared to my 15 bait casters, I am not sure which size to buy. The 1000 series or the 2500 series. I will be using this reel for soft stick baits, lighter hard stick baits, tube baits and light jigs primarily. It will be rigged, for now, on a 6'6" Med rod. Occasionally on a M/H rod. I will be spooling the reel with 20# braid, and it will primarily be used for bass fishing. Bass Pro Shops says the 1000 series line capacity for braid is 95 yards with 10# test, which seems a bit low capacity to me as it would be even less with 20# braid. Like wise, BPS rates the 2500 series for braid capacity at 145 yards with 15# line. That would be less with 20# and just about right I think. However, the 2500 reel is a little bigger and heavier as well obviously. The other main point of contention for me is max drag and line recovery. The 2500 is rated at 11 pounds drag while the 1000 is only rated at 7 pounds. Also, the 2500 has a line recovery of 35 inches while the 1000 only has a line recovery of 29 inches. On paper, the 2500 seems like the way to go. But since I am not real fluent with spinning reels, I'm not sure whether the 2500 is oversized for the applications I want this reel to perform. Which would you recommend?
Old 05-17-15, 11:29 AM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd go with the 1000. The lesser capacity to me isn't really a major concern. While the lighter weight is. It feels like I am holding an anvil with the larger spinning reels. I guess the 5 and 6 oz baitcasters and 3 and 4 oz rods have spoiled me. The pond I fish has some pretty big bass in it as attested to by some of my pics I have posted. Some of the bass over 7lbs have been caught on small spinning reels with no problems. I use Abu Sorons. Great reels but no longer availabe. What are the size of most of the bass you catch? If most are over 3 lb maybe go with the 2500. To me on a spinning reel back reeling helps out the lesser drag. As far a line recovery the baits you want to fish mostly require a slower retrieve. If possible try both on the rod you want and see which you feel more comfortable with. My girlfriend caught her best on a 2000 series Soron. It was slightly over 5lbs. She has no idea what drag or back reeling is. If you are fishing turnies I'd go slightly bigger so you can get the fish in the boat faster.
Old 05-17-15, 01:05 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I am not familiar with the reels you are looking at, but the majority of my fishing is with spinning reels. I love the ease of skipping unweighted plastics under docks, overhangs, etc. I also like the distance I can get with very small/light lures.
The capacity ratings (usually) are for monofiliment. You'll get about 1.5 to 2 times more braid on because of the smaller diameter. Plus, with braid, you'll be less worried about breaking off, so you can set the drag a little higher.
I do not have any "large" reels. All of mine are smaller reels, but I do have some that have larger capacity spools for casting larger lures farther distances. It's truly amazing how much farther braid will let a lure fly than mono.
I would go with the 1000, personally. Catching fish all day without wrist pain is a plus.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 05:04 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Keith, I don't know how the Shimano reels size compares but you know I use only Pflueger. My Supremes are 8030 and 8035 series. I prefer a larger (diameter) spool, I think they give greater casting distance and heavier drag. As the Supreme has a magnesium frame they are lighter in weight than aluminium of similiar size, so a larger frame without the weight. Of the two sizes you mention, I would opt for the larger for the reasons I indicated. I just purchased a couple Pflueger Arbor reels specifically fo skipping lures under docks and trees. They are a compact reel with a wide diameter spool but half the depth of a normal spool and supposedly line comes off easier. I have yet to try them but will be fishing with them soon.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 05:24 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Keith, I don't know how the Shimano reels size compares but you know I use only Pflueger. My Supremes are 8030 and 8035 series. I prefer a larger (diameter) spool, I think they give greater casting distance and heavier drag. As the Supreme has a magnesium frame they are lighter in weight than aluminium of similiar size, so a larger frame without the weight. Of the two sizes you mention, I would opt for the larger for the reasons I indicated. I just purchased a couple Pflueger Arbor reels specifically fo skipping lures under docks and trees. They are a compact reel with a wide diameter spool but half the depth of a normal spool and supposedly line comes off easier. I have yet to try them but will be fishing with them soon.
Do you have the MGX version of the Supreme? I was looking at the TW site and they didn't have the 8035 listed. But the 8030 line capacity wise looks like what I am looking for.
Old 05-17-15, 07:56 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Mine are a couple years old Keith, actually I have couple of the Supreme XT's that are the gold tone and the 30 size is as small as I would use for bass. Donald (nobass) took a pair of the Supremes (silver color) along with a couple LTX spinning rods off my hands last winter, so he may have an opinion on these reels to offer. Cabela's has the Supreme (silver) offered at 99.99 but they are currently sold out but available for back order. The (new) Supreme XT is a bit pricey at $149.00, 50% more than the silver Supreme and I, personally, would not spend the extra money. The Supremes are a fine reel at the $100 price point. Like I said mine are about 4 years old and still as good as the day they came out of the box, with the exception of a little rash here and there. One word of warning, the magnesium reels (regardless of brand) do not like salt - do not leave them in a locker with salty soft plastics - like Senko's - because they will show signs of corrosion rather rapidly if they are left in contact with the baits.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 01:09 PM   #7
joedog

May want to check out the Lew's Tournament Pro HP Spinning Reel -TP400HP $99.99. List
I got a Gold Spin and flat out love it.
This is less money.
Lews are very dependable reels.
Cabelas I believe has a $25 Cabela Bucks deal on them?

You can go smaller too.
http://www.lews.com/spinningreels.php

•Large spool spinning reel for improved casting distance, improved drag performance and less line twist
•Lightweight Carbon C40 high strength body and side cover with sealed body engineering
•Digi-balanced lightweight carbon skeletal rotor
•Premium 10-stainless steel bearing system
•Zero-Reverse sealed one-way clutch bearing
•Stainless steel, lightweight hollow bail wire
•Parallel line lay oscillation system
•Oversized titanium line roller to reduce line twist
Double anodized larger arbor aluminum spool This is what helps give it such fast IPT. Mine, TL3000H, only has 38"IPT the TP300 HP has 42" and 4000, 46". They are all fast and light.
•Oversized smooth Carbon Teflon multi-disc sealed drag system
•Quality solid brass pinion gearing
•Durable stainless steel main shaft
•External stainless steel screws
•Machine cut aluminum handle with Lew's® Performance handle knob
•Adjustable for right or left hand retrieve
•External lube port
•Speed Lube™ for exceptional smoothness and uninterrupted performance in all weather conditions, from extreme heat to freezing cold

Model

Bearings

Wt. Oz.

Line Capacity

Gear Ratio

IPT

TP400HP

9+1

220/14

6.1:1

46"

Last edited by joedog; 05-18-15 at 03:44 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 06:42 AM   #8
keithdog

Thanks for the suggestion Joe. Our local BPS does not carry Lew's but our Gander Mountain does I believe. At least their web site does. I'll stop in and see if I can check them out. Thanks
Old 05-19-15, 11:46 AM   #9
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In the past I've owned both "1000" and "2000" size spinning reels... took the "1000" size out of service and have been using the "2000" size reels for several years. Better balance, line management and casting distance.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 07:10 PM   #10
keithdog

Okoboji, I heard from Kevin Rush who probably knows reels better than anyone I know, and he suggested the 2500. I think that is what I will go with.
Old 05-24-15, 09:40 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Keith, I have 5 or 6 spinning rigs in the boat. Every one has a Symetre 2500 on it. That answer your question?
Old 05-26-15, 07:05 PM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Keith, I have 5 or 6 spinning rigs in the boat. Every one has a Symetre 2500 on it. That answer your question?
I think so buddy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.