Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-12, 08:47 AM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Replacing a camera lens

I know we have some photography buffs on here, thought I might get an easy answer...

I have a Nikon L110 digital camera. It is not an SLR technically I think, but it has a great zoom and 13 mp and all in all its pretty good. Worth keeping if I can fix it.

But it also has a few gnarly scratches on what appear to either be the actual lens, or a glass dome over the refractive lens. I don't really know.

Can this sorta thing be fixed? Can it be a DIY job, or must I send it off?
Old 10-30-12, 10:19 AM   #2
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I know we have some photography buffs on here, thought I might get an easy answer...

I have a Nikon L110 digital camera. It is not an SLR technically I think, but it has a great zoom and 13 mp and all in all its pretty good. Worth keeping if I can fix it.

But it also has a few gnarly scratches on what appear to either be the actual lens, or a glass dome over the refractive lens. I don't really know.

Can this sorta thing be fixed? Can it be a DIY job, or must I send it off?
William, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your camera is fubar'ed.

Be glad it isn't an SLR, as replacing a quality SLR zoom lens would cost more than the camera.

It certainly isn't a DIY fix (even on my "nofearest" day, I wouldn't think of trying it), and at only $209 new, I don't think it would be worth it for Nikon to even open the package to look at it.

This is why EVERY camera (at least the ones that will accept filters) must have a UV filter put on it. A $20 cheapie UV filter will pay for itself the first time you drop your camera, even on a point and shoot that only costs a couple of hundred dollars.
Old 10-30-12, 10:51 AM   #3
nofearengineer

William, I did a little more checking, and it seems you actually can get a replacement lens for around $60-$70 on ebay.

Ebay has its own issues; i.e. is it a genuine part, is it really "new", etc.

But it looks like that might be an option, depending on if you feel like you can make the repair yourself. Hopefully someone on the web would have the procedure you need to do the repair.

Good luck.

P.S. if you are successful, for the love of god buy a UV filter to protect it.
Old 10-30-12, 11:04 AM   #4
WTL

Thanks, nofear,
What do the UV filters do, other than make the camera more bulky and protect the lens?
Old 10-30-12, 11:22 AM   #5
nofearengineer

The bulk isn't much of an issue.

I think your camera takes 67mm filters, which weigh about an ounce.

The L110 might need an adapter kit to accept the filters, so maybe a couple more ounces.

3 ounces and a couple of bucks, and you'll never scratch a lens again.

Oh, by the way, the UV filters obviously filter out ultraviolet light, which can make photos a little hazy. If you do a lot of outdoor photography, it's a good idea.
Old 10-30-12, 02:42 PM   #6
WTL

Sounds great. Yea I just hate throwing away value, the camera is only a couple years old and has the zoom that is great for football games. I'm getting sick of placing working electronic gadgets in the drawer.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.