Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-09-06, 10:40 PM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Default Spinning Reel vs. Bait caster ?

Which does every body like better ? just got a bait caster today gonna use it tommorrow just seein what u all think ! I personally like spinning but from what i hear once i learn how to work this right i will be in love so if u hav any tips leave .. Thx
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 10:42 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Best site I've seen for setting up a baitcaster.
Old 08-09-06, 10:45 PM   #3
bassking22

Um, spinning, for the ease of using one right now, once I perfect the baitcaster, I will like it more. Oh, and don't think it will be easy at all to learn, it's the hardest, and most time concumingly boring thing, I've had to do with fishing.
Old 08-09-06, 11:14 PM   #4
mack

i learned easy with the baitcaster..learned the first day...thats cause i spent the whole day practicing..i mean im not really good at it but im alright with it..
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 11:14 PM   #5
officerhoyt
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like to use baitcaster because i think that it is easier to control your casts.
officerhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 04:07 AM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like both equally and see them as tools. Each makes working certain applications more convenient than the other but not impossible.
Old 08-10-06, 06:52 AM   #7
keithdog

The biggest plus for baitcasting IMO is the control you get over the reel. With a biatcaster, your able to thumb the line which allows you to slow the lure down before impact and make a nearly splashless entry with your lure into the water. A huge plus especially around skittish fish. I think the drag system is better with a baitcaster as well. But the control on the cast is the main thing. I always have both rigged up though as there are times when the spinning reel will do the job better, especially with lighter weight lures and for skipping the bait under tree branches and docks. Casting into a hard wind often dictates the use of a spinning reel with lighter baits as well. But it takes practice to get the hang of the baitcaster. Your lucky though as the modern baitcaster is much easier to use than the ones of just 20 years ago. The anti backlash systems are pretty darn good now, but you still need to learn how to thumb the line when you cast, and it only comes with much practice. One bit of advice incase you don't know this. Before you cast, hold your rod tip towards the sky and push the line release free spool button or lever, whichever you have on your reel. Watch the lure fall to the floor. Adjust the anti-backlash knob so that when the lure touches the floor the spool stops spinning. Now tighten that anti backlash just a tiny bit more. Thats the best setting when your new at using a baitcaster. Good luck.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 08:09 AM   #8
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

if i have to get out my spinning reel i know its going to be a rough trip. i throw everything on a baitcaster. shakey heads, small spinnerbaits, and even floating worms.
Old 08-10-06, 02:01 PM   #9
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It depends on the lure. I use spinning fro T rigged worms,grubs.1/8 oz anything.small crankbaits and so on. I use a casting rod fro deep diving CB, spinnerbaits C rigs or pnj. They are both tools. Its like why do you have different size hammers or screw drivers. Each has a purpose. fish2win
Old 08-10-06, 02:27 PM   #10
BassMoJo

Yea i caught i few on it today had one bad birds nest and that was about it...it was easier then i thought ! thanks for all the advice
Old 08-10-06, 02:31 PM   #11
Raul

The only advantages I see that are completely out of my control with baitcasters is that they donīt twist the line like spinning reels do and that you can cast in closed quarters. Accuracy, casting distance, everything else for the regular guy, fishing on a regular day depends on your casting technique which comes from practice.

Now, if you are competing in a casting distance tornament baitcasters are the ones that hold the records.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 09:35 PM   #12
keithdog

Your absolutely right Raul!!! Thats the one thing I really hate about spinning reels is the problem with line twist. I have mine spooled at Gander Mountain by machine and still it is a problem.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 12:02 AM   #13
BassMoJo

3rd Fish on the new bait caster ! .... I thought it would be a lot harder to work but i guess i was a natural !

Old 08-11-06, 03:03 PM   #14
Raul

If you want to listen to the advice of a 22 year veteran with baitcasters, donīt ever get overconfident when handling the beast, she is ready to jump all over you the nanosecond you do something stupid and she is going to reward you with a megabacklash, yup, the kind where you have to respool the entire reel with fresh line again.
Old 08-11-06, 03:55 PM   #15
bassking22

Raul, when I first started using one, my dad wanted to get started using one again, so I bought him one for his birthday, after 20+ years of not using one, he was a tiny bit rusty. So after 3 days of practice in the backyard, we both perfected the sidearm, the overhand, and the backhand. When we got to the lake, he said, "Watch me launch this spinnerbait. He sure did launch it, and he got the worst backlash I've ever seen.
Old 08-11-06, 04:52 PM   #16
Raul

Thatīs the nature of "the beast".

Famous Raul sentence for the bc newbies: Welcome to the wonderful world of baitcasters !
Old 08-11-06, 05:34 PM   #17
bassking22

Seems like raul has been hitting the nail on the head.

They are great, once you can use one. If you were like me, it took alot of practice, and perserverance, and now I can use one proficiently.
Old 08-11-06, 06:25 PM   #18
ToPwAt'R GuY

I use both equally. It really depends on the lure.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 06:26 PM   #19
Raul

It took me the same.

There I was with my first brand new baitcaster over two decades ago, freshly spooled line, pressed the thumbar release, swinged the rod and......... ! -----> me with the WTF ? face.
Old 08-12-06, 06:58 AM   #20
pig n jig

With a baitcaster, you can crank the reel to bring the fish in.With a spinning reel, you have to use more of the rod to help the reel bring the fish in.I use a spinning outfit to worm fish.The spinning reel allows the light lure to fall through the water colum where as the baitcaster will restrict its fall enough to angle towards you instead of its intended target. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.